+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MMOs and Dining (Off Topic)

Talking MMOs and Dining (Off Topic)

Wish we had an Off Topic forum...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With summer approaching, a good old barbecue is on my mind, so I thought I'd rate some of the MMOs I've played with food as a symbol for the game-play.

Everquest (original)- Prehistoric men & women gathering wood for the fire, hunting & killing a beast, preparing, cooking, and then eating it. It took a lot of work, and you had to do it all over again the next day in another place, but it was worth it. Each night, you would sit back and reflect on your accomplishments of the day with a smile on your face.

Star Wars Galaxies - A fine restaurant, with an innovative menu, based on a very successful concept. The place is packed, and every night is karaoke night. Anyone can get up and dance or play an instrument. Then, halfway through your meal the waiter replaces your fillet mignon and baked potato with tofu and bean sprouts. Evidently, management somehow got the idea that this menu would be more popular.

Vanguard - A brand new steak house, opened before the dining room and kitchen are complete. The waiters are inexperienced, slow, and there's a good chance they'll mess up something on your order. The upstairs dining room is finished, but you can't get up there because the stairs are broken.

You may have to wait a while, but when they finally get your order right the steak tastes great - the best you've ever had! (Unfortunately they didn't add dessert to the menu until a few months later). The place is in pretty good shape now, and the food is great, but after the horrendous grand opening, and lack of advertising, you can still get a table for 1-24 any time without a reservation.

World of Warcraft - in a word, McDonalds. Food for the masses, fast and easy. 11.5 million served. No matter where you are in the world a Big Mac tastes like every other Big Mac. Long lines? No worries, another instanced register and order-taker will open to serve you right away. No seating? An instanced table will be ready for you in a moment.

Thanks to WoW a whole generation of 'diners' has been spared the hardship of hunting for their own food, having their steak replaced by tofu, and having to wait while the waiter gets their order right. Most have even been spared the knowledge that such hardships ever existed.

What could be better? Sounds like Utopia to me ;)

(of course, many of these 'diners' have never tasted steak, savored a meal around a fire under a sky full of stars, or enjoyed the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment of a hard fought battle and a job well done)

hmmm, suddenly I'm hungry for steak ;)
    Last edited by Slyde; 05-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    Wish we had an Off Topic forum...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanguard - A brand new steak house, opened before the dining room and kitchen are complete. The waiters are inexperienced, slow, and there's a good chance they'll mess up something on your order. The upstairs dining room is finished, but you can't get up there because the stairs are broken.

You may have to wait a while, but when they finally get your order right the steak tastes great - the best you've ever had! (Unfortunately they didn't add dessert to the menu until a few months later). The place is in pretty good shape now, and the food is great, but after the horrendous grand opening, and lack of advertising, you can still get a table for 1-24 any time without a reservation.

Damn making me hungry just reading this. Yep you hit the nail on the head, could not have described VG any better.

Except after a while, SoE stopped paying for VG Steakhouse to buy new steaks, so they're putting together table scraps and calling them an entree. Chef Silius thought this was a good idea, but not nearly as good as the time when he took a dump on a plate.

Now, VG Steakhouse has announced that there will be no new food, and there's only one chef left. Miraculously, some people are still inside, waiting. I can't fathom why.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Whaaaaaaat? Another WoW bashing thread? Who ordered one of those?? And can I supersize it???

My take:

EQ = BBQ grilled steak
    WoW = pan seared steak

They are different flavors but still steak. No need to basically call all seared steak fans "lazy" (in so many words) and all BBQ fans "real men" (in so many words) because you have a preference.

If those were the only two options on a menu, I'd go vegetarian.

Free to play MMO's - A Chinese restaurant. Everyone eats there when they are hungry for a cheap dinner. All the tasty dishes come at a price but you can get all the bland white rice you want at no extra cost. A lot of the time the staff doesn't speak English very well and are unable to comprehend when you complain about a fly in the soup. The patrons seem to come and go and most of them never come back to the same Chinese restaurant because a new one opened up just down the road that they are sure is going to be better.
    Warp

Quote Originally Posted by WarpCode View Post
    Free to play MMO's - A Chinese restaurant. Everyone eats there when they are hungry for a cheap dinner. All the tasty dishes come at a price but you can get all the bland white rice you want at no extra cost. A lot of the time the staff doesn't speak English very well and are unable to comprehend when you complain about a fly in the soup. The patrons seem to come and go and most of them never come back to the same Chinese restaurant because a new one opened up just down the road that they are sure is going to be better.
    I'd argue it's more like:

The appetizer was great! and then the entree came and there was a fly in it. They said it would be 5.99 for an entree with no flies.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    Now, VG Steakhouse has announced that there will be no new food, and there's only one chef left. Miraculously, some people are still inside, waiting. I can't fathom why.
    Why? Because even with its flaws Vanguard is still the best game out there right now. No other game appeals to me, but Rift looks promising.

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

I'd argue it's more like:

The appetizer was great! and then the entree came and there was a fly in it. They said it would be 5.99 for an entree with no flies.
    LOL, yeah, Free to Play is more like going into a restaurant and ordering a glass of water and then mixing in free catsup to make tomato juice.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Arithion's Avatar

I have to admit this thread had me laughing, literally.

I like the analogies and probably agree mostly with them. (Hey, even I like McDonalds once in a while ;) ) There are many more analogies that could be made with many more games -but I think it's summed up quite well. I've played wow, and I didn't take offence at the McDonalds reference since I think it's mostly correct.

I'd still like a steak though - in fact, my husband is about to cook me a filet
    The Rift Podcast Site

Telarapedia | RiftIRC
    Level 50 Bahmi Warrior - Greybriar - Primal

I think WoW is more like a fantastic steakhouse chain with great decor and great food, and there's enough locations that lots of people eat at one.

But if you're a vegetarian, you don't want it. You should, however, admit that it's probably very good for people who want to eat there.

I think WoW is more like a fantastic steakhouse chain with great decor and great food, and there's enough locations that lots of people eat at one.

But if you're a vegetarian, you don't want it. You should, however, admit that it's probably very good for people who want to eat there.
    I actually still play WoW once in a while with friends (married couple early 40's & we played just last night in fact). They love the game, and would consider it "steak", but it's the only MMO they have ever played so they really don't know any better.

I also eat at McDonalds (maybe once a month). I prefer Carl's Jr., In & Out, or even Burger King, but once in a while I feel like McDonalds. I like the food but I can't get steak there.

As for the "great decor", the WoW world is nicely designed, pretty to look at, and looks better than EQ 1, but the characters are horribly cartoon-ish, and even SWG had better graphics for characters and the world. Vanguard has the most realistic 'world' graphics I've ever seen. (I just started Dawntide beta and the graphics are good there too).

I actually still play WoW once in a while with friends (married couple early 40's & we played just last night in fact). They love the game, and would consider it "steak", but it's the only MMO they have ever played so they really don't know any better.
    Maybe it's you that doesn't know any better :P

P.S. In 'n' Out is the fast food of the gods. Shame it's only west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    Whaaaaaaat? Another WoW bashing thread? Who ordered one of those?? And can I supersize it???

My take:

EQ = BBQ grilled steak
    WoW = pan seared steak

They are different flavors but still steak. No need to basically call all seared steak fans "lazy" (in so many words) and all BBQ fans "real men" (in so many words) because you have a preference.

If those were the only two options on a menu, I'd go vegetarian.
    I'm not really bashing WoW or McDonalds. I like both for what they are, and this thread was just for fun.

I tried to poke fun at all the games

This thread CLEARLY need pizza.... allthought I am really bad at these type of references... and well if you ask me Slyde the stakehouse has had the same menu for the last years.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

World of Warcraft - in a word, McDonalds. Food for the masses, fast and easy. 11.5 million served. No matter where you are in the world a Big Mac tastes like every other Big Mac. Long lines? No worries, another instanced register and order-taker will open to serve you right away. No seating? An instanced table will be ready for you in a moment.
    I've always very seriously called WOW the McMMO.

Both McDonalds and WOW have masterfully marketed their product and that product in both cases is incredibly bland. They're both successful not because they have a particularly fantastic product, but because they have a relatively bland product which is inoffensive to most palates.

I did play WOW for a couple of years, but there really isn't anything about it I can point to and say "I loved that, I want to see it in other MMOs" because until it got to the mind-numbingly dull end-game-raid-grind, there wasn't anything about it that put me off. And that's the key to their success.

When I've tried other MMOs and decided not to subscribe, it has never been a matter of "I just didn't enjoy it enough", there was always a particular reason or reasons I could identify as something I didn't like. Not so with WOW.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast