+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Appalled at the intolerance of this community..............

Default Appalled at the intolerance of this community..............

I am amazed at the intolerance and downright rudeness of this community.

Obviously there has been a lot of confusion about the beta keys. Yes, I know there is a beta FAQ etc stating about the "chance" of getting into beta, but that has still not stopped the confusion.

This is because a lot of sites, as well as Trion I might add, advertise getting "Beta keys", not the chance of getting into Beta. For example, Curse sends out an email saying congratulations, here is your beta key, then down the bottom, not in the main message, it says about the chance. Perhaps if it were more honest and blatant, it would be clearer.

Now, I understand things are being done differently, and that the information is out there, but when the main aim of this "promotion" appears to be getting people to come here, is it really helpful if the community then proceeds to slag them off and call them names the moment they get here?

I have seen people called names, telling them that if they cannot read then they do not belong in Beta, when frankly, the people who cannot communicate with others in a civil way should be the ones not accepted into beta, or for that matter, the forums.

I have seen others say that they are obviously not fans and that its best they are not in Beta, when again, who is to say they would not become even bigger fans than those who proclaim the loudest and treat them dismissively.

I am excited for this game and think it holds a lot of potential, and I am eager to play either to help beta test, or wait until the game is live.

But honestly, if this is an indication of the type of people populating the servers, maybe it wont be that great.

Quote Originally Posted by shazanne View Post
    I am amazed at the intolerance and downright rudeness of this community.

Obviously there has been a lot of confusion about the beta keys. Yes, I know there is a beta FAQ etc stating about the "chance" of getting into beta, but that has still not stopped the confusion.

This is because a lot of sites, as well as Trion I might add, advertise getting "Beta keys", not the chance of getting into Beta. For example, Curse sends out an email saying congratulations, here is your beta key, then down the bottom, not in the main message, it says about the chance. Perhaps if it were more honest and blatant, it would be clearer.

Now, I understand things are being done differently, and that the information is out there, but when the main aim of this "promotion" appears to be getting people to come here, is it really helpful if the community then proceeds to slag them off and call them names the moment they get here?

I have seen people called names, telling them that if they cannot read then they do not belong in Beta, when frankly, the people who cannot communicate with others in a civil way should be the ones not accepted into beta, or for that matter, the forums.

I have seen others say that they are obviously not fans and that its best they are not in Beta, when again, who is to say they would not become even bigger fans than those who proclaim the loudest and treat them dismissively.

I am excited for this game and think it holds a lot of potential, and I am eager to play either to help beta test, or wait until the game is live.

But honestly, if this is an indication of the type of people populating the servers, maybe it wont be that great.
    I do not believe posts like this help the situation. It only adds fuel to the fire. Just my opinion.

Plane Touched

Got enough periods at the end of that thread name there, Shazzy?

The community isn't rude in general, it just seems that they are getting tired of people not even taking a few seconds to scroll down and see that there is another topic that gives them their answer. Which is understandable

So far I've yet to see an argument to OP's post. I personally am waiting patiently.
    "There's nothing quite as humiliating as feeling the cold breeze across your armor-less buttocks as you appear at your bind stone."

Quote Originally Posted by Darcnova View Post
    The community isn't rude in general, it just seems that they are getting tired of people not even taking a few seconds to scroll down and see that there is another topic that gives them their answer. Which is understandable
    Agreed. I've made m fair share of posts in various forums that have been semi-flamed but at least the topic wasn't anywhere in sight. I understand not reading the FAQ, that takes too long. But honestly, there's at least 3 threads with almost identical names asking the same questions. At LEAST look at the first page of threads. To the OP: if you don't like people flaming, don't do it yourself... I've posted, and have seen others post, more often than not, that this community is actually awesome, especially when compared to others I've seen
    Last edited by Fedise; 11-20-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedise View Post
    if you don't like people flaming, don't do it yourself...
    I,m not flaming, just pointing out something that I have noticed, which can have a negative impact. You are free to agree or not.

I,m not flaming, just pointing out something that I have noticed, which can have a negative impact. You are free to agree or not.
    So in order to fix something you see as bad you make it even more noticeable? Good plan. OG-Gamer has already said this doesn't help anything it just makes it worse. +1

So pretending something is not happening rather than highlighting the problem, is a better way to deal with it?

I also notice that my point is not actually being disagreed with.

So pretending something is not happening rather than highlighting the problem, is a better way to deal with it?

I also notice that my point is not actually being disagreed with.
    Disagreeing with it would make people delusional, instead, I just said WHY they are acting this way

As for the first part of your post, it happens all the time in reality too...

if people would come here, read the FAQ, or the Beta FAQ and then still have questions, then visit the FORUM and look on the very first page, they would find EVERY answer they need. If they then still have questions, well their issue might just be life itself, or lack of intelligence, or a combination of the 2.

I mean daily there is where do I download, is this F2P...etc. Which means you can easily find info again EASILY
    Greke- Sab/NB/Infl and RS/BD/Bard
    Magus Imperialis Magicus- Briarcliffe Server- PVP

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdynn View Post
    if people would come here, read the FAQ, or the Beta FAQ and then still have questions, then visit the FORUM and look on the very first page, they would find EVERY answer they need. If they then still have questions, well their issue might just be life itself, or lack of intelligence, or a combination of the 2.

I mean daily there is where do I download, is this F2P...etc. Which means you can easily find info again EASILY
    Exactly, and they don't even bother scrolling down to see the same topic three times on the same page...it just gets old

This is not WoW sweety

Just my opinion, but from what I have observed, this community is no more rude than any typical slice of society. I think, perhaps it appears more widespread in forums, since the poster's tone cannot always be discerned (excepting outright name-calling and abusive language), and reading posts makes more of an impact than, say if a similar conversation were overheard at a local business.

Also, Rift is undergoing growing pains, and the influx of new members with questions (again, representing some slice of society, whether rude, helpful, satirical or calm etc.) coupled with the somewhat cryptic manner in which both the beta key wording and the entire Alpha-Beta (Hmmm, Alphabeta soup ) non-standard process has been, compared to other games, and people get frustrated. No excuse, mind you, just the way people are and society as a whole.
    Last edited by Grymmoire; 11-20-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

It's odd because I do have a few keys now that are the "increased chance" type.

I never felt I was mislead in any way, nor am I going to complain about the fact that I have applied to a BETA and may or may not get involved!

Not defending anyone here, but really? I read what the emails/websites/posts said, and I was informed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast