Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 150

Thread: WoW isn't popular because it's easy. The hour a day philosophy.

  1. #61
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Um, hardcore raiding with people who don't suck is actually quite efficient and painless.

    "Hardcore" raiding with a pile of bads who don't spend even half the time learning the battles as they do salivating over how the loot is a harrowing, painful affair no matter what game you're in.

    After five years of raiding, I can say that if the group I'm in uses a ready check, I'm in for a looooooong night.
    So now it's not only 5+ hours of raiding but you need to include the time to learn the fights also. Add an addition 30mins to an hour. =D

  2. #62
    Ascendant Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marquisk2 View Post
    So now it's not only 5+ hours of raiding but you need to include the time to learn the fights also. Add an addition 30mins to an hour. =D
    Nah. Hit the six hour mark and people start quitting no matter what you do.

    I'm just saying that to spend six hours every night is stupid and unnecessary. As they say, work smarter, not harder.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Sergeant Major of the Fourth Forward Troll Division
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The pornos lied. They told me it tasted like honey." - Paradoxus

  3. #63
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solkaris View Post
    This is why the MMO community has gone to hell. Why do anything in life? A World First is just that, its an achievement that the ones pushing for it find meaningful. If your willing to sit back and let others power through the pain of wiping and learning the strats through trial and error, at least show some respect, its because of them you get to watch videos and play easy mode to loot.
    Agreed
    ----

  4. #64
    Prophet of Telara dirtyklingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I trolled you and responded to the op. What you said is moronic at beta and makes me question
    if you played WoW at all. Casual or not you got kicked to the curb if you did not have the
    exact cookie cutter build for your class.

    If you were a Paladin and was not packing the exact Prot tank build then you are a noob
    and good bye to any chance of ever tanking.

    That game by far forced you into builds and gear sets. My Paladins gear was identical to
    the Paladin standing next to me and my build was identical too.
    but you were and are an exceptionally bad player pure. it doesn't matter what spec or gear or class you choose.

    wow has many types of activities for every playstyle and play session time allotment. you can spend an hour or even 15 minute sin the game and do something, or you can spend 6 hours doing alot of something.

    no one ever kicked me from a pug for being a gimpy frost mage or having the wrong spec. no one ever stopped me in teh middle of a BG and said HA HA ARCANE ISN"T A PVP SPEC!

    i feel something similar in rift, but i see an overwhelming amount of peopel screaming for the game to be watered down even mor ethan what people say wow is(compared to the reality) to hand hold them to victory in everything while handicapping people who want to do some of the things that are intrinsic to rpg gaming in particular and gaming in general.

    such as theory crafting and doing hardmode raiding and different kinds of pvp and so on.

    ofc it wouldn't be so bad if the people crying for everything to be viable weren't also complaing and crying for nerfs to every class that killed them one time in a warfront or in world pvp or outdpsed them in a rift invasion or killed a mob 3 seconds faster than their tank build did or w/e.

  5. #65
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Correction. WoW WAS time-friendly in WoTLK. Where I could spend an hour on heroic runs and have a decent number of emblems to my name afterwards, and decide whether I want to spend 3-4 hours raiding sometime on the weekend or one night a week.

    But of course this was just not awesome enough for the basement dwellers. Because "you should work for your gear", and because the notion of having a life outside of WoW is alien to our beloved cyber-athletes. After all, WoW shouldn't be a game, it's a second job (or first, depending on how deep in your mother's basement one dwells).

    Cataclysm is NOT time-friendly. With a well-geared group and competent group (read: non-PUG), a heroic takes 35 minutes under ideal circumstances, or longer. I'm sorry, I'm not prepared to sink 1-2 hours into a dungeon that I know I will have to run over and over and over again just to get geared in emblem blues. WoTLK heroics were repetitive enough to cause vomiting even though they were mercifully short; Cata heroics aren't any more fun or any less repetitive, they just stick the fingers down your throat for a longer time. Oh, and by the way? I've already seen them all on normal mode.

    I've exhausted all quest lines in all new zones; it was a blast. I maxed my profs. I could now grind non-dungeon rep (big woop), grind dailies for recipes (god help me, I'm a jewelcrafter), mine ore (sure, it gets me money, but doesn't take me anywhere new), or sit in the LFD queue and hope that the next heroic won't take 2 hours and fall apart at the last boss. I've literally seen it all and got a tabard for it. And it all wouldn't be so bad if the gateway to raiding (heroics) did not require major time investment without even remotely commensurate payoff. I don't have the 3 hours to burn every night for a handful of JP/VP.

    That's mostly why I'm here. RIFT has something new to offer. If the endgame ends up being WoW Vanilla/BC-like and require major time investment, I'll kick it to the curb just like I kicked WoW to the curb.

  6. #66
    Ascendant Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyklingon View Post
    but you were and are an exceptionally bad player pure. it doesn't matter what spec or gear or class you choose.
    I'm gonna sit here and enjoy this

    http://aroundthesphere.files.wordpre...04/popcorn.jpg
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Sergeant Major of the Fourth Forward Troll Division
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The pornos lied. They told me it tasted like honey." - Paradoxus

  7. #67
    Rift Disciple Crisus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    I see you took some time and critical thinking before you posted . However I disagree.
    The reason I disagree with your statment is that it is just that a statment. You genralize what you think every one else feels about a game. when you should have projected that these were your thoughts your take on the subject matter.

    WoW for me was too easy in cata via 5 mans I can sit in a lfg Que for upwards of an hour+ just to walk in and see the tank can't hold agrro or the healer has no clue what he or she is doing. The fights are strait forward and I don't expect any group to wipe more then once or maybe twice at the most. Yet here these people come in thier greens into heroics with little to no skill other then Spaming a dps meter when the healer is getting smacked around by a lose trash mob or standing in X effect forcing the healer to waste mana.The worse thing of all imo about wow was the player base and the mass ingorance I came across.
    Now I am not saying all of wows players are bad I am just saying the majority is really bad.
    I have had a few my bads and I admit it... the P.U.Gs that i got stuck with in wow either refused to learn from thier mistakes or had thier head soo far up thier own bum playing kissy face that they could'nt step out side of thier own little mental box for more then two seconds.

    That being said I hope the player base of Rift turns out better but It prolly won't on the omg why did i die stand point but at least sofar I have meet people who either say my bad or What just happened please explain to me what i need to do.
    Stay Frosty

  8. #68
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Let's settle this with a few words

    WoW =/= Rift

    Alot of MMO's play the same.

    Hardcore Progression Guild < Girlfriend

    Fanboy's will always continue to try and knock on anything game because they can't break the obsession with their game of choice to give a logical argument. It isn't just WoW. But everywhere. Sitting here and fighting over why WoW is popular doesn't get anywhere.

    I replied earlier when the thread was smaller and I didn't expect this thread to turn into an E-peen waving competition for a game who's forum we aren't on at the moment. This is the General forum for talking about -Rift- Let's discuss what Rift could do to beat wow or do a better job than their Dev's rather than just knocking on Wow or each other.

    Dev's can only help with constructive information (Stuff that actually has a reason something should be changed or added) Rift is still in Beta. Now is the time to get your opinions out there and come up with a consensus on what this game needs and not what WoW has that this game does not.



    /

  9. #69
    Soulwalker dizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I would call my self a Hardcore gamer. Just because i want the best gear/score in shooters, does not mean I'm trying to make my "epeen" bigger. I play games to the fullest. The reason i left WoW was because of the people/content. The people in that game have no respect for others. I turned off trade chat around the release of Wotlk because i couldn't stand all the trolls/disrespect for others. For the content it seems like the same thing over and over again, nothing ever really changed. The last fun fight i did was LK, even after while that just got old.
    Hoping the randomness of Rifts and such will keep me interested, I have a great feeling about this game.

    Just my 2cents

  10. #70
    Plane Walker Chthonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chthonic@Faeblight
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dralic View Post
    Let's settle this with a few words

    Hardcore Progression Guild < Girlfriend

    /

    /clap

    This is the reason I will never be able to play a game where I have to spend longer than 2 hours a day to accomplish something. Once in a while I can manage it, but I can't overall commit that kind of time to a game.

    I have other commitments.
    ^ Not a Llama ^


    Cleric LFG for Key of the Twilight: Heals, DPS or Tank. PST.

  11. #71
    Rift Chaser gicobrablack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Please go away.
    Seastone>Guardian>Tribe>Blackmachismo lvl 50 warrior

  12. #72
    Rift Disciple Cheers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NUTZJ98 View Post
    So instead, you're here at Rift. lol. Have you played this? You do realize this game was made almost idiot proof and every time they try to add a challenge, the whiners kill it.
    I play Rift coz of the endgame PvP, since after beta6 with some lvl35 PvP, i can see the PvP should going to work out.

    The PvE part is like 5% of the game to me. e.g. I will spend 2months to PvE and get to lvl 50, and then 3-4 years focus in the open world PvP. (WoW wasnt built for openworld PvP)

  13. #73
    Plane Walker Tallenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    404

    Default

    I'll agree mostly with the OP, except that it's probably a bit longer than just an hour to do something worthwhile: both from the perspective that most worthwhile activities are going to take longer, and that the vast majority of people have more than just an hour.

    I'd say 2 hours, or even 2 and a half is probably closer to reality. The basic premise is sound, though.

  14. #74
    Rift Disciple Kaledren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Stow, Ohio
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleon View Post
    So here's the argument you see repeated 10 billion times around the internet.

    WoW is easy. WoW is the most successful video game in history. Therefore, people want a game that is easy.

    So, along those same lines Johnny Depp is the best actor and Ben Stiller is the second best actor. Avatar and Titanic are the best movies in human history. Alex Rodriguez is the best baseball player in history and Rashard Lewis is the 2nd best basketball player in the NBA. See how that argument goes.

    The reason WoW is popular is not because it's easy, it's because it's time friendly. It all comes to down to the hour-a-day philosophy. Most gamers only have an hour or so a day to play. Open any psychology textbook and you'll see humans have some basic desires.

    1. We enjoy enjoy challenges. We like to learn, and figure things out.
    2. We also like to accomplish things, it helps increase our feeling of self-worth.
    3. We like to be social among other human beings.

    Every person has those desires weighted differently, some valuing others as most important. But the gist is that we will play the game which allows us to meet our given weighted order of needs in an hour a night.

    Most MMO gamers have lives (!), yes that's right we have jobs, or schoolwork, families and wives and husbands. My schedule is fairly indicative of many MMO players: During the week I go to work 9-5, go to the gym, hang out with my GF until she crashes about 11, and then play games till midnight when I crash. On the weekend I get more time to play.

    The issue with WoW is that it allows us to digest in an hour a night. Basically what WoW shows us is that the most important desire for most people is to accomplish something, with a small (but not non-existant) amount of social activity. That's the reason the dungeon finder and BGs are so popular. It's more important for MMO players to get something done each night, than to face a challenge or be overly social. That does NOT mean we wouldn't prefer a challenge, if it existed. It's just right now, we can choose is a bevy of games which provide a challenge, sometimes, but you cannot digest in an hour at a time - EQ, FFXI, EvE, Darkfall. Or a bevy of games which lack enough content to keep giving us things to accomplish over years, or amount to single player games because you'll never find a group *and* do something useful in an hour - EQ2, Lotro.

    So what's left? WoW. It's the only game on the market that is easily digestible in hour chunks. Each night you can accomplish something no matter what level you are. You can run heroics and dailies, a couple BGs all in an hour, easily allowing you to accomplish something with a little socialization, but sadly even less challenge. If you are leveling you can play quests or use the dungeon finder, again accomplishing something with a little socialization, and sadly almost 0 challenge. Would a game that provides a challenge be more popular, absolutely, but not if it can't be played in an hour-a-day chunks. Think that something can't be challenging unless it takes 3 hours? Well then you must be a professional soccer/basketball/bridge/chess/olympic track and field/football/rubik's cube solving athlete.
    Delusional. This is what is wrong with the WoW generation. Gimme gimme gimme, now now now.
    If you can't invest an hour of time in an MMORPG, then I guess it's not the genre for you...console games more fit your play style...more than likely where you and most WoW players came from in the first place, hence your feelings of entitlement. MMORPG's are suppose to be epic journey's....NOT races to "End-game"...which, btw, were almost non EXISTENT (Proper way to spell that word) words in UO and EQ. There was TONS of content...it was challenging, and yes, it was time consuming. Because that is what MMO's were all about and what separated them from console gaming. They were suppose to be almost never ending...constant content added. And it took lots of time to get through that content, hence, why you paid a monthly fee.

    Now a days? You can steamroll through content in a month, then sit at your precious "end-game" bored, only griefing to find any fun in the game for yourself anymore, and complaining religiously on the forums and in-game there isn't enough content. There is no more challenge, no more community, because again, the content is so laughably easy you can solo through it and don't need other people. There is no more comradery in MMO's. People in EQ would answer questions to the best of their knowledge, gave directions, offered one another assistance... Now? Most go out of their way to be rude and smart ***. Call you a noob, ******, idiot, etc. Few help one another unless there is something in it for them. They cheat, or cheat one another, etc. And as far as I am concerned, it got to it's height of ******baggery after WoW was through it's first year, and advertised far and wide to pull in everyone with a pulse from every genre there is. It is a sad state affairs.
    Last edited by Kaledren; 02-09-2011 at 02:28 PM.

  15. #75
    Shield of Telara BlackUdder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Wow is popular because -

    It has/had huge marketing
    It is made by blizzard
    It caters to the console crowd / zero risk gamers / carebears / MMO noobs ...which equates to a huge % of todays gamers
    It runs on all pc's

    The end.
    Last edited by BlackUdder; 02-09-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts