Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 150

Thread: WoW isn't popular because it's easy. The hour a day philosophy.

  1. #31
    Ascendant Rawne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamul View Post
    Generally, bad players say this because they think their "progression" guild and/or "progression" pug group is what hardcore raiding is all about. While you were still trying to get past normal festergut in ICC, we were wiping on 25 HM LK with the 5% buff. Once you've experienced that edge of progression where you're actually pushing the limits of your raid comp then you can speak about what someone may be doing wrong.

    Good luck though, I'm sure your scrub-like mentality will work very well within the limited scope of this game. Afterall, you have nothing challenging to worry about, and there won't be that competitive edge that larger more successful MMOs bring to the gameplay experience.
    Only played WoW for 3 weeks during it's "vanilla" phase so everything you said is meaningless.

    I play PvP games i'm not that interested in PvE all that much, too scripted and slightly dull.

    However my wife does play WoW and is in a hardcore raid guild that manages to get through raids without wiping for 5 hours a night. So i'll repeat, just for you because you are so adorable, you are doing it wrong learn to play.

    And as for the "scrub" comment, people tend to find throwing stones in glass houses is bad.

  2. #32
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    WoW isn't popular because it's easy. WoW is popular because it used to be popular because it used to be hard. Maybe you didn't notice, but WoW has started ending ever since WotLK. Cata hasn't sold over 7 milion copies, that's including dual/multiboxers. It's still popular. Keyword right there.

  3. #33
    Plane Walker NUTZJ98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
    WoW is as easy as grandMom-friendly, and I don't like a easy MMO, Period!

    maybe I will categorize it with farmville, and I dont play those games.

    Farmville is easy too.
    So instead, you're here at Rift. lol. Have you played this? You do realize this game was made almost idiot proof and every time they try to add a challenge, the whiners kill it.

  4. #34
    Rift Chaser Netherscourge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkoleth View Post
    No not uber hardcore. But at the moment a level 17 dungeon in Rift is more challenging than a level 80+ dungeon in WoW. Not uber hard, but definitely more challenge.
    It's only hard util you out-gear it or out-level it.

    Just like all dungeons in all mmo games.

    Run a level 80 WoW dungeon, at level 80 - with level 75 green gear and tell me it's still easy.

    Sub-level cap dungeons are always "hard" when you're actually at the level the dungeon was scaled to. But once you gear up and level past the "par" for the dungeon, it becomes easy and eventually trivial.

  5. #35
    Rift Disciple Domingo_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleon View Post
    So here's the argument you see repeated 10 billion times around the internet....
    10,000,000,001
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

  6. #36
    Ascendant Rawne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Run a level 80 WoW dungeon, at level 80 - with level 75 green gear and tell me it's still easy.
    Just because I don't play the game doesn't mean I don't get all the news and i'd like to address this comment...
    Wrath instances were quite easy from what i've seen. At least what I saw my missus doing

    Edit - Found what I was looking for.

    Level 80 was that difficult Ulduar was cleared in blue gear.

    http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/2009/08/ungeared.html
    Last edited by Rawne; 02-09-2011 at 08:52 AM.

  7. #37
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawne View Post
    Just because I don't play the game doesn't mean I don't get all the news and i'd like to address this comment...
    Wrath instances were quite easy from what i've seen. At least what I saw my missus doing

    Edit - Found what I was looking for.

    Level 80 was that difficult Ulduar was cleared in blue gear.

    http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/2009/08/ungeared.html
    Sneaky edit right there ?:P

  8. #38
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkoleth View Post
    Stopped reading there tbh. WoW is popular because it is easy. It is simple. Cata Proves it. They made the game more difficult, people complained like it was the end of the world, threatened to cancel their sub, and so Blizz nerfed the games balls off like they have been doing for years to appease the carebears.

    I'll rephrase, WoW is popular because it suits those that like ease rather than challenge.
    I played last nite for a bit, and the first boss in SFK who used to be such a pain with his Mend Flesh, is now tank and spank because the entire mechanic has been removed. So, Cata has been out for 3 months and the axe hit hard already..Feral druids are almost wiped off the face of the game, and all you have to do is google your spec, no thought involved...Yes, I would have to agree that WoW is caving to the threats.

  9. #39
    Champion Nikkoleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    It's only hard util you out-gear it or out-level it.

    Just like all dungeons in all mmo games.

    Run a level 80 WoW dungeon, at level 80 - with level 75 green gear and tell me it's still easy.

    Sub-level cap dungeons are always "hard" when you're actually at the level the dungeon was scaled to. But once you gear up and level past the "par" for the dungeon, it becomes easy and eventually trivial.
    So, I don't really know an easier way to put this.

    LEVEL 17 dungeon in Rift compares to a level 80+ dungeon in WoW

    Do you see that part that says LEVEL 17? That is a very important part. WoW doesn't have anything that compares in challenge until level 80. I'm going to try to be as redundant as possible here, in hopes this will set in. LVL 17 dungeons compared to lvl 80+ Dungeons......The first dungeon you do in Rift is like one you do at endgame in WoW.
    WoW is like Facebook, it was cool till you saw your grandma on it.

  10. #40
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Want to know why WoW is popular and has been by far the most successful MMORPG for the last 5+ years? It has very little to do with it being easy or even with it being a good game (I'm not saying it's a bad game, I played it years ago for a few months and enjoyed it, but at the time there was very little to distinguish it from its rivals, and I'm not convinced there is today either).

    The reason it's extremely successful is because MMORPG players tend to be very hesitant to switch games, and very rarely subscribe to more than one MMORPG at the same time.

    WoW came along, and had a few things going for it - name recognition, and it came along when the current big kid on the block (EQ) had just released a expansion that most people hated (Gates of Discord). This allowed it to quickly build up a good subscriber base and pass EQ as the top MMORPG.

    Now, if an MMORPG newbie wants to pick one up, which one are they going to choose? Chances are, they are going to pick up the one that's advertised everywhere and their friends play. They aren't going to look at ten different games to try to decide which one they list the most.

    TLDR: WoW is the most successful MMORPG because it is the most successful MMORPG.

  11. #41
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawne View Post
    Only played WoW for 3 weeks during it's "vanilla" phase so everything you said is meaningless.

    I play PvP games i'm not that interested in PvE all that much, too scripted and slightly dull.

    However my wife does play WoW and is in a hardcore raid guild that manages to get through raids without wiping for 5 hours a night. So i'll repeat, just for you because you are so adorable, you are doing it wrong learn to play.

    And as for the "scrub" comment, people tend to find throwing stones in glass houses is bad.
    Then your wife isn't in a hardcore progression guild, your wife is in a guild that pushes through and quits after they wipe a couple of times instead of trying to stay on the cutting edge of progression. There's an extreme difference, and the vast majority of people that think they're in a hardcore guild, couldn't cut one week in a real one due to the countless hours spent learning fights during testing without the assistance of mods like DBM.

    To put it bluntly, your wife, and her "hardcore guild" ride on the coat tails of the real ones.

    I'll throw the stones at you all day long, trust me, I have the ability to do so. My two cents of input on anything I speak my mind on is worth a fortune in your currency.

  12. #42
    Ascendant Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamul View Post
    Then your wife isn't in a hardcore progression guild, your wife is in a guild that pushes through and quits after they wipe a couple of times instead of trying to stay on the cutting edge of progression. There's an extreme difference, and the vast majority of people that think they're in a hardcore guild, couldn't cut one week in a real one due to the countless hours spent learning fights during testing without the assistance of mods like DBM.

    To put it bluntly, your wife, and her "hardcore guild" ride on the coat tails of the real ones.

    I'll throw the stones at you all day long, trust me, I have the ability to do so. My two cents of input on anything I speak my mind on is worth a fortune in your currency.
    Give it up, dude.

    I mean, damn: All that wiping and you still got enough energy to defend your epeen on a totally unrelated forum?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Sergeant Major of the Fourth Forward Troll Division
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The pornos lied. They told me it tasted like honey." - Paradoxus

  13. #43
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Give it up, dude.

    I mean, damn: All that wiping and you still got enough energy to defend your epeen on a totally unrelated forum?
    It's all good man, it takes failures like yourself to keep MMOs going - otherwise who would sit around buying all the crap we pawn off from our runs after content is on farm.

  14. #44
    General of Telara Siegmund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleon View Post
    So here's the argument you see repeated 10 billion times around the internet.

    WoW is easy. WoW is the most successful video game in history. Therefore, people want a game that is easy.

    /snip

    Well then you must be a professional soccer/basketball/bridge/chess/olympic track and field/football/rubik's cube solving athlete.
    The whole part of your argument that is wrong is that you are trying to separate easy from hour-per-day.

    Cata and WotLK heroics. There are not much different in length but they were much easier in WotLK thus much faster.

    Easy content is faster to do. So yes easy is the reason WoW is so popular.

    Also WoW is no where near the most successful video game in history. Not by a long shot.

  15. #45
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siegmund View Post
    Also WoW is no where near the most successful video game in history. Not by a long shot.
    There isn't a single game out there that has generated over 8 billion dollars during its lifespan. Pac-Man would be the ONLY possible competitor but it's hard to break down the figures for pac-man itself since they're generally lumped together with the multiple spin-offs.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts