Thread: Buying a new computer

Soulwalker

Default Buying a new computer

Buying a new computer for rift/work

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Intel-i7-...item3f065d31f7 but will be 8 gig ram
    what do people think, decent price?

Ive looked around to build with parts and im finding its cheaper built

Telaran

Price doesn't look bad, you may be looking at purchasing more ram in the future though.

Personally I always prefer to build computers rather than purchase them; be it a custom built rig or pre-built such as dell or HP. When you buy a pre-built rig they usually come with bloatware and unnecessary bundles that just add to the overall cost of the system.

So, I'd say if you're confident in your hardware / software knowledge, just build it yourself. However if you are not, then by all means purchase this one. It's a pretty good setup and you would probably only save $300-400 by building it yourself.

EDIT:
    I retract my earlier statement saying that this is a decent purchase. It isn't. Upon review of the spec's listed, You're essentially paying $1500 for a top end video card, cpu, and premium case. It lists the hard drive as being 1terabyte, but doesn't list cache size or spindle speed (could be 5000rpm = super slow). it comes pre-loaded with bloatware, it's cheaper to purchase an OEM disk of Windows 7 64bit rather than upgrade through them (oem disk on newegg = $140, instead of 225 with them) I can't even find the mobo on newegg which worries me about the quality of the mobo.

Def would not buy, find a good friend who can build them, tell him your budget and needs, and he should be able to build you one for cheaper that is just as fast.
    Last edited by Sionis; 02-09-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Rift Disciple

Just don’t buy an Asus from Best buy. I got suckered in to that because I needed one immediately due to my old machine crashing. I am wishing I had built my own now. Especially since I have had to upgrade the GPU, PSU and have to add a cooling fan. Look before you leap.

When the GPU crapped out I went back to Best buy (it isn't btw) and here is what they said, “That is a manufacturer’s warranty issue. We will have to send the tower in to Asus. You should have it back in 3 to 6 weeks.” I really regret buying this pile.

Check around as well. NewEgg, Tigerdirect, Alienware.... check all those places.

Ace

No.

Right now I would NOT buy anything built with the new Sandy Bridge chipset such as that system. Wait for the recall to finish and give it a month or two for the new supposedly fixed boards to make common circulation. Otherwise you are liable to be buying a problem.
    Last edited by Ace; 02-09-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Shadowlander

Sure you can buy the sandybridge chipset, if you know what your doing.
    Basicly, dont use the SATA 3 ports, you should have 4 left you can use for the harddiscs and dvd drive.

But I would order the parts online and build it yourself, cheaper and more fun

Soulwalker

thanks for the replys. more then likely going to get a friend to build me one now.
    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread