+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tech/video card dilemna?

Default Tech/video card dilemna?

So I was having trouble withmy hd last week and got around to replacing it today and re-installing vista. But now my my pc doesnt recognize my video card. It just says standard vga adaptor instead of my 9800gtx. Thoughts?

Hum. Sometimes you have to restart several times for the system to detect everything. You don't have on motherboard video do you? If so you should disable that in the bios. If not... hum. You could try a brain purge by starting the system with the gpu removed. Technically it shouldn't hurt anything. It could be it's not quite seated right or something, in which case a start and letting it not find the gpu may reset it. If you do shut down, remove the card, and boot like that, you'll have to shut down on the power supply switch. Then reinstall the card, turn on the switch and restart.

I'd first recommend though trying to find a driver cleaner and completely removing the graphic card drivers. Restart after. If it finds the card on restart it should ask for drivers and you are good to go.

You could also try shutting down, moving the dvi port your monitor is on, then restart. Though if the system has disabled that port you'd see nothing, sooo.

If not... No clue. You'll have to search teh Internets for others with the issue.
    Last edited by rabb1t; 11-20-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

ITs not a new card, just HD ya?

I wouldn't think there would be any old drivers on the pc, in fact there are no drivers on the pc. There is nothing on the pc except vista. Maybe ill try reseating it. Yea only new thing is hd.
    Last edited by Azarine; 11-20-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Vista might not have the specific drivers for that card on hand.

Must download separately.

Windows Vista Drivers for 9800GTX:
    32-bit Version
    64-bit Version
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 11-20-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager (Dunno if this goes for Vista, but anyways, works for XP! Worth a shot)
    Find your videocard and check if it's alright, if it shows as not working, rightclick it and uninstall, reboot and computer should find it

Or you can type into run, CMD then DXDIAG to see what drivers you have installed for the cards. That's the best way to see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Azarine View Post
    I wouldn't think there would be any old drivers on the pc, in fact there are no drivers on the pc. There is nothing on the pc except vista. Maybe ill try reseating it. Yea only new thing is hd.
    Well there is the problem. You didn't install the Nvidia drivers, so it doesn't know what the card is or what to do with it.

Yes, it should have generic drivers it could find but it doesn't always. It's always best to load your OS, load your motherboard drivers, graphic card drivers, sound drivers, other drivers (in that order).
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Azarine View Post
    re-installing vista.
    That's your problem right there.

+ Reply to Thread