+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why copy WoW when...

Soulwalker

Default Why copy WoW when...

Asheron's Call is the game most people should be copying. If you died you lost ur stuff, melee battles were amazing cuz u could hit the upper/mid/lower parts of peoples bodies, unique creatures, housing, gear dye, no zone to zone world just 500 square miles of fun, you could actually dodge magic attacks by moving, the allegiance system...it was sooo different from what is done today. Truly a work of art more MMOs should take a note from.

I don't get it. Are you implying that RIFT copied WoW, or not? Or are you saying that more companies should copy the game you listed?

Plane Touched

Unfortunately for the rest of us noobs with money (or parents) rule the world.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimecia View Post
    I don't get it. Are you implying that RIFT copied WoW, or not? Or are you saying that more companies should copy the game you listed?
    I'm saying WoW is constantly referred to as some kind of original best MMO ever when Asheron's Call really had a unique and different system that isn't like anything today. Most MMOs today feel too....nerfed. Too easy, too cookie cutter in the talent tree department, not as much variety as a whole. Don't know how Rift is yet but visually it reminded me of Asheron's call, gonna check it out and see if it's any different than most of the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by joey_sarks View Post
    I'm saying WoW is constantly referred to as some kind of original best MMO ever when Asheron's Call really had a unique and different system that isn't like anything today. Most MMOs today feel too....nerfed. Too easy, too cookie cutter in the talent tree department, not as much variety as a whole. Don't know how Rift is yet but visually it reminded me of Asheron's call, gonna check it out and see if it's any different than most of the latest.
    The game that makes the most money will always be the benchmark, this has no relevance on the quality of said game.

Soulwalker

They all entertain people and they're fun for sure, I just think it's silly when people compare a bunch of games that all closely resemble each other. It's like comparing oranges to oranges, but what if I want an apple? Should be more variety thats all I was getting at.

Soulwalker

Darkage of Camelot was superior to Asheron's Call in every way. Even Everquest was, I think its a good thing that maybe a company take some parts of all the games before it and tries to use a few of the better ideas and adds some of their own in the mix. And since it seems you have not even played Rift you should wait before making a dull useless post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimecia View Post
    He's kind of saying WoW is a bad example of a game to copy, and Rift should (instead) copy that other game he mentioned - which has features he like better ...

Anyway, what is this I don't even ...
    Last edited by SlimeFish; 02-09-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Asheron's Call is the game most people should be copying. If you died you lost ur stuff, melee battles were amazing cuz u could hit the upper/mid/lower parts of peoples bodies, unique creatures, housing, gear dye, no zone to zone world just 500 square miles of fun, you could actually dodge magic attacks by moving, the allegiance system...it was sooo different from what is done today. Truly a work of art more MMOs should take a note from.
    Do you wan the3 drunk reply or the none drunk reply. Choose carefully.

c-ya

Kor
    Telaran

AC was pretty damn good.

OP MMOs are not going to use full loot as a fundamental system, and be able to have a huge player-base. Simple as that. Trust me, Ive been going from DFO, to MO, to Perpetuum over the past few years...its a niche system.

Quote Originally Posted by Villaintine View Post
    The game that makes the most money will always be the benchmark, this has no relevance on the quality of said game.
    ^That + This\/

Additionally "unique" and "different" don't necessarily make a game better.

However, if you're looking for a game that doesn't utilize the same boring skill trees for each class, nerfing each role into conformity....you should probably play some Rift.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzrim101 View Post
    Darkage of Camelot was superior to Asheron's Call in every way. Even Everquest was, I think its a good thing that maybe a company take some parts of all the games before it and tries to use a few of the better ideas and adds some of their own in the mix. And since it seems you have not even played Rift you should wait before making a dull useless post.
    I haven't played Rift but like I said I like some of the stuff i've seen so far in videos and what not . And it's 4am here im too tired for meaningful posts lol. And not saying Asheron's Call was the best ever, nothing like that. Just saying a comparison between Asheron's and WoW has huge differences, but Wow to other games lately aren't as glaringly different...so why do people keep fighting over who copied who or whos game is better when we should just innovate and keep taking mmos in different directions, etc.

Rift Master

Losing gear upon death was deemed "not fun" by the community. If it was considered fun, more MMOs would use it and it would be a bigger part of the genre. As you can see, it's not and therefore is not.

As for copying WoW; why would you try to reinvent the wheel when you can take the one that works and make it roll better?

While may be true that WoW didn't sell millions of copies because is the best game, surely Asheron's Call sold way less because it's simply not appealing to the general population.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast