+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why copy WoW when...

Soulwalker

Personally Id like to see the unforgiving NPCs of everquest again...

You couldn't just run out of range... you had to run to a guard for help or to another zone entry and zone through it . If you succeeded to outrun the npc or it killed you it would start strolling back to its original area. However it would attack all eligible targets it came across on its way back. Also the zones with extreme variance in NPC lvls were great... you had to be careful! Take a lvl 10 zone and slap a few wandering lvl 35 giants in there

I lost interest in wow when it became far to easy all the time... and everyone expected it to be easy. instant instance groups full of random strangers who wanted to AE tank and PWN whatever they came across...yawn!

Soulwalker

Meh, fun or not it was at least challenging. Games become more and more for casual players that pick up their controller, grab their keyboard and play for 20 mins and then log off. Although it's convenient I wish there was more options for a more "competitive" vibe as the upset Halo fans call it. Like even with WoW (yes i played it for a lil while), it was much more enjoyable having to travel to dungeons, maybe get in fight with an opposing faction for 10 mins outside, calling people to come help, etc. Now I just click a button and it pops me in after a few minutes, only to have someone die and leave, which makes everyone else leave, and then i gotta wait in que again to do another. Convenient I suppose but doesn't seem as fun to me anyways

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nixpus View Post
    I lost interest in wow when it became far to easy all the time... and everyone expected it to be easy. instant instance groups full of random strangers who wanted to AE tank and PWN whatever they came across...yawn!
    Funny you brought that up as i was typing it lol, least it don't just bother me

I liked throwing bees at people on AC2..

Ascendant

When do people get it, only cause THEY liked a game it doesnt mean a million dollar company HAS TO copy THEIR favorite game ...

Bor
    Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzrim101 View Post
    Darkage of Camelot was superior to Asheron's Call in every way. Even Everquest was, I think its a good thing that maybe a company take some parts of all the games before it and tries to use a few of the better ideas and adds some of their own in the mix. And since it seems you have not even played Rift you should wait before making a dull useless post.
    No it wasn't. I liked the character development in AC much more than DAoC. Actually spending XP directly to improve abilities and stats was really cool. The world was open and huge often I'd just run across the world to explore. No "invisible walls" like in DAoC.

AC had it's faults, like bad graphics, but it had way more freedom than I've seen in any game since. Fallen Earth is about the only thing I've seen that comes remotely close.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by joey_sarks View Post
    Meh, fun or not it was at least challenging.
    You can add challenge without punishing the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixpus View Post
    Personally Id like to see the unforgiving NPCs of everquest again...

You couldn't just run out of range... you had to run to a guard for help or to another zone entry and zone through it . If you succeeded to outrun the npc or it killed you it would start strolling back to its original area. However it would attack all eligible targets it came across on its way back. Also the zones with extreme variance in NPC lvls were great... you had to be careful! Take a lvl 10 zone and slap a few wandering lvl 35 giants in there

Final Fantasy XI did this. Which lead to players kiting high level creatures into other people's parties, or taking the highest lvl enemies in a starting zone and kiting them into the level 1s. Griefing = why most MMOs won't do this, I'd guess.

AC was killed by DAoC and DAoC was killed by WoW. That's why smart people look at WoW when they're designing their MMOs.

/thread
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 02-09-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    When do people get it, only cause THEY liked a game it doesnt mean a million dollar company HAS TO copy THEIR favorite game ...
    Yeah, I don't want copies, I want different mechanics, a more competitive skillful gameplay style...not 2 button rotations and copy/pasting from elitest jerks just to get into raids (just using wow as an example cuz its the last mmo I played)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbet View Post
    You can add challenge without punishing the player.
    Ill be honest I hated losing my stuff with a passion, but it made me somewhat hesitant to pvp at times, or push myself harder knowing that, which can be fun to some people, rather than just click buttons and know it'll all be ok, u know? Really upset me when I lost though lol

2 button rotations and copy/pasting from elitest jerks just to get into raids (just using wow as an example cuz its the last mmo I played)
    WoW doesn't have 2-button rotations. Even if someone finds a build that works like that - well, class design mistakes are fixed quite soon (like shadowbolt spam warlock spec was fixed in TBC). It's obvious that you've never played WoW, or you'd know.
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 02-09-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by EternaTea View Post
    Final Fantasy XI did this. Which lead to players kiting high level creatures into other people's parties, or taking the highest lvl enemies in a starting zone and kiting them into the level 1s. Griefing = why most MMOs won't do this, I'd guess.
    Sad but true. I would love to see things done like that again, but with today's MMO community... I'll just leave it at that.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    WoW doesn't have 2-button rotations. If someone finds a build that works like that, it gets fixed quite soon (like shadowbolt-spam warlock spec was fixed in TBC). It's obvious that you've never played WoW, or you'd know.
    I took down the LK, i played all of WotLK, and arcane mages have a 2 button rotation bud. And I don't know what they did to arcane for cataclysm, but they did buff fire hard so everyone just plays that now. And they're taking away dual wield for Unholy DKs too which I would never do but why take that away from people if they found a way to make it a viable option, seems like a jerk move on their part.
    Last edited by joey_sarks; 02-09-2011 at 01:48 AM.

arcane mages have a 2 button rotation bud.
    If you played arcane mage with 2-button rotation, you're just terribad. Took down the LK, you say? Probably just piggybacked since your guildmates had to do your job.
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 02-09-2011 at 01:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast