+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why was DAoC so damn popular and how can Rift benefit?

Default Why was DAoC so damn popular and how can Rift benefit?

I played the hell out of SWG and WAR and loved every minute of it, only to slowly watch both of them die a painful death. I keep hearing that Daoc had such an incredible end-game and was just curious as to what made it so great for pvp/orvr? Any thoughts as to how the pros can be added to Rift to make the game even better?

I am getting sick of watching these flawed (but still great games) fail. I am also sure as hell not going back to that steaming pile of crap called WoW either.

Three factions, that is all.
    Healer

For a PvPer, it was paradise.

There were 3 realms with all UNIQUE classes. 1v1 was not necessarily balanced, but in an 8v8 fight (8 was group size) being the "best dps" didn't mean much. You had to assist in most situations.

Playing a caster or healer had huge range, and required kiting. If you were getting hit, you could not cast. Extending meant something. It was important for your group to stay together.

Small, intimate community. The largest server was 3000 people, across 3 realms. Most servers averaged 1500 or so people. You knew a majority of the players on your side, and the good players/guilds on the others.

Gear wasn't a hassle. Get some plat, get a crafter, and you are wearing your end game set.

Crowd control had an enormous impact in PvP. Roots and mezzes could last for 50+ seconds. Having your healer/bard/sorc cure you was important, not something that could be ignored.

Realm abilities were gained from leveling through PvP. If you really want to know more about it, go check the camelot herald.

There were most certainly huge downsides to this game, but those are generally the things DaoC'ers remember.

I could go on and on about other great elements to this game, but more than anything, I would say it was the fact it was a slower paced strategic PvP game. MMO's these days are very faceroll.
    Last edited by Deehorsey; 02-08-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Rift is legit so far its killing WoW imo, Hope all the WoW kiddies stay over there while some of the more advanced players move over to play Rift. so tired of the Faceroll 4 button no skill that WoW is best known for.

Narwhal Video---------------Narwhal Wiki---------------Fake Narwhal Wiki

Telaran

I don't know if it was the first realm based PVP MMO released, but it did a really good job of it for the time. DaOC was a blast. I'll always have a fond spot for my Lurikeen Ranger...

Soulwalker

My personal opinion on the matter is that it created a good sense of battle, sacrifice, and was community driven. I still remember repairing keep doors, upgrading keeps, and roaming frontiers to defend. What is there to truly 'defend' or battle for in a game like WoW or others? There is only personal gain, which doesn't really stick in memory for most people. Even when running in an 8man group, you had the sense of taking part in epic battles and protecting the homeland. I had fun in WoW battlegrounds, but there was no teamwork or really any investment in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deehorsey View Post
    For a PvPer, it was paradise.

There were 3 realms with all UNIQUE classes. 1v1 was not necessarily balanced, but in an 8v8 fight (8 was group size) being the "best dps" didn't mean much. You had to assist in most situations.

Playing a caster or healer had huge range, and required kiting. If you were getting hit, you could not cast. Extending meant something. It was important for your group to stay together.

Small, intimate community. The largest server was 3000 people, across 3 realms. Most servers averaged 1500 or so people. You knew a majority of the players on your side, and the good players/guilds on the others.

Gear wasn't a hassle. Get some plat, get a crafter, and you are wearing your end game set.

Crowd control had an enormous impact in PvP. Roots and mezzes could last for 50+ seconds. Having your healer/bard/sorc cure you was important, not something that could be ignored.

Realm abilities were gained from leveling through PvP. If you really want to know more about it, go check the camelot herald.

There were most certainly huge downsides to this game, but those are generally the things DaoC'ers remember.

I could go on and on about other great elements to this game, but more than anything, I would say it was the fact it was a slower paced strategic PvP game. MMO's these days are very faceroll.
    /this...

...and as someone further up wrote the 3 realms. 2 realms means one is always the underdog. 3 realms balance out. To me that is the huge flaw that Rift has, only 2 factions. That is why no pvp server for me.

Another feature was constant battlegrounds, all with a central keep. Taking the keep contributed to opening Darkness Falls (realm controlled dungeon, allowing even more PvP) as well as giving a nice XP bonus. This setup is way better than any of the timed ctf or whatever else type of instance around today.
    Jiu Jitsu ftw

Quote Originally Posted by SythKeeper View Post
    My personal opinion on the matter is that it created a good sense of battle, sacrifice, and was community driven. I still remember repairing keep doors, upgrading keeps, and roaming frontiers to defend. What is there to truly 'defend' or battle for in a game like WoW or others? There is only personal gain, which doesn't really stick in memory for most people. Even when running in an 8man group, you had the sense of taking part in epic battles and protecting the homeland. I had fun in WoW battlegrounds, but there was no teamwork or really any investment in it.
    WOW the memories!

best things about DAOC:

3 realms
    keep defense
    Keep taking

Honestly it was the only game in which I have liked PvP in all other games I am a carebear and have been advised not to play PvP as it just helps the pther side get points

Two words (that others have said already):

Three Realms.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SythKeeper View Post
    Man you are sooo right. Remember having to see how much wood I could carry (Troll thane) so we would be prepared for a looong seige!

God I want a DAOC 2... Updated graphics... but same game... BEFORE TOA!!

Mythic announced a Origins server... game before TOA... but it just disappeared... and I would bet EA axed that idea knowing a large chunk of the warhammer playerbase would leave and play origins.

Same reason I know DAOC 2 wont ever be made... EA wont let anyone do it and suck players from there other games.

Just imagine a engine that uses the physics built into the new video cards in keep and tower sieges... Was sooo epic to be using a trebuchet or catapult in sieges.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Maugrim View Post
    Another feature was constant battlegrounds, all with a central keep. Taking the keep contributed to opening Darkness Falls (realm controlled dungeon, allowing even more PvP) as well as giving a nice XP bonus. This setup is way better than any of the timed ctf or whatever else type of instance around today.
    Man your sooo right.... me and my wife loved leveling in the battlegrounds.... log in.. hey who has keep? x does.. k lets get people together and get that puppy back!

Man you all are making me sick for the old days...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Maugrim View Post
    Aye and battle grounds were in 5 level groupings so you never had a team ranging from 20 to 23 with one level 25 facing the pre-made with two full groups of level 28 and 29 players. You may not win every time but even with a 5 level deficit your were still a significant part of the fighting.

Also important was the concept of the intelligent but silent enemy. You fought them but you did not have to listen to them throw a fit which made the game more relaxed. Plus the servers were set up so all your characters on a server had to be in the same Faction. Which cuts down the annoying distracting like people popping up to talk trash while you were trying to defend a keep or take their relics.
    Last edited by Fastred; 02-11-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
    Man your sooo right.... me and my wife loved leveling in the battlegrounds.... log in.. hey who has keep? x does.. k lets get people together and get that puppy back!

Man you all are making me sick for the old days...
    That does bring back good memories. Honestly if they updated the graphics and did a remake with out TOA I would probably have to be making a hard choice about where we wanted to play when it happened.
    Last edited by Fastred; 02-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Three factions. Self balances itself out in PvP because the overpuplated side ends up fighting both the other sides. Its in the 2 underpopulated factions interest to work together becuase if the lowest side gangs up with the biggest side against the middle side then eventually the midlanders quit. Meaning the lowlanders are completely screwed facing a very large enemy

Oh and i miss my Friar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast