+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why was DAoC so damn popular and how can Rift benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Zizette View Post

Honestly it was the only game in which I have liked PvP in all other games I am a carebear and have been advised not to play PvP as it just helps the pther side get points
    I think the fundamental reason why DAoC was so popular is hidden in Zizette's post. Naturally, the three realms with different races and classes are probably the biggest factors, however...

Even though I did very little PvE in DAoC (FU ToA!), I still think this was a huge part of DAoCs long-term success since it allowed PvP players like myself to do so to our heart's content be it in frontiers, the shared dungeons or persistent battleground without negatively impacting players who actually (shudder) enjoyed DAoC's PvE. While this does segregate the community somewhat into two camps, what ended up happening is many PvE players who otherwise wouldn't have bothered elsewhere tried PvP and came to enjoy it. Those that didn't could continue doing what they were doing without any negative consequences or even move to Gaheris for an even fuller PvE experience.

I love PvP and generally despise PvE, although I find Rifts PvE to be tolerable for reasons I can't quite explain. Nevertheless, I've always thought that forcing PvP upon PvE players is not the way to grow your game just as forcing me to raid for weeks to equip myself for PvP is a sure fire way to get me to cancel. DAoC was the one place that I know of that both sides could do what they wanted, virtually independent of the other and everyone was good with that...at least that I remember.

Something happened between DAoC's hayday and today in which developers are unwilling to adopt much of what worked from DAoC and translate it into games that feature a heavy dose of PvP action. I thought Dark Age balanced itself fairly well on the PvP/PvE divide all things considered. Why no one else has even made the attempt is honestly beyond me.
    Last edited by Enigmatik1J; 02-11-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    Kakimushire, Ashisogi Jizo!
    The High Inquisitor of <Crusade>
    Harrow Server

I vote three realms too. Adds to the mayem.
    InsaneMoose

Seriously guys, is this what the forums have turned into? Every 12 year old posting a thread that says absolutely nothing? I might as well start making posts that say; BLEE BGLOO BLAAH BLORP! Would at least have a little more content than the OP.

This question I have seen asked a 1000 times and in 99% of all answers "3 realms" is included... It is mind boggleing to me that no other MMO witch features PVP has used the third realm/faction... Nope instead companys just offer free server transfers and increased exp and loot to get people to join a server/faction that is outnumbered......

You can yell at me all you want but in the end rift will do the same thing...

3rd faction is FTW...
    {SWG}Godaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Deehorsey View Post
    For a PvPer, it was paradise.

There were 3 realms with all UNIQUE classes. 1v1 was not necessarily balanced, but in an 8v8 fight (8 was group size) being the "best dps" didn't mean much. You had to assist in most situations.

Playing a caster or healer had huge range, and required kiting. If you were getting hit, you could not cast. Extending meant something. It was important for your group to stay together.

Small, intimate community. The largest server was 3000 people, across 3 realms. Most servers averaged 1500 or so people. You knew a majority of the players on your side, and the good players/guilds on the others.

Gear wasn't a hassle. Get some plat, get a crafter, and you are wearing your end game set.

Crowd control had an enormous impact in PvP. Roots and mezzes could last for 50+ seconds. Having your healer/bard/sorc cure you was important, not something that could be ignored.

Realm abilities were gained from leveling through PvP. If you really want to know more about it, go check the camelot herald.

There were most certainly huge downsides to this game, but those are generally the things DaoC'ers remember.

I could go on and on about other great elements to this game, but more than anything, I would say it was the fact it was a slower paced strategic PvP game. MMO's these days are very faceroll.
    This so much.

8v8 took a lot of strategy. Each realm had it's own unique approaches to extend, melee trains, and hybrid strategies. Although, you could make the argument that Albs were best at extends, Hibs best at hybrids, and mids were best at melee and hybrids.

8v8 in agramon was all about respect. It was group versus group, other groups wouldn't add in, and it took a lot of communication and teamwork to win.

I personally played a Body Sorc with my buddies in a high cc extend group. 2 sorcs, cabbie/thurg, 1-2 wiz, 2 clerics, minstrel, and maybe a melee peeler. It was hella fun, especially drunk pvp nights

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nerhtal View Post
    Three factions. Self balances itself out in PvP because the overpuplated side ends up fighting both the other sides. Its in the 2 underpopulated factions interest to work together becuase if the lowest side gangs up with the biggest side against the middle side then eventually the midlanders quit. Meaning the lowlanders are completely screwed facing a very large enemy

Oh and i miss my Friar.
    Fortunately self interest and a strong alliance system usually kept the out breaks of people cutting their own throats to a minimum. That and we all knew any alliance with the enemy would last about as long as it benefited them and you did not attack them but you did not trust leaving your back to them either.

Aye and I miss my Ferbolg blade master with his duel wielded falcatas.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ethix View Post
    This so much.

8v8 took a lot of strategy. Each realm had it's own unique approaches to extend, melee trains, and hybrid strategies. Although, you could make the argument that Albs were best at extends, Hibs best at hybrids, and mids were best at melee and hybrids.

8v8 in agramon was all about respect. It was group versus group, other groups wouldn't add in, and it took a lot of communication and teamwork to win.

I personally played a Body Sorc with my buddies in a high cc extend group. 2 sorcs, cabbie/thurg, 1-2 wiz, 2 clerics, minstrel, and maybe a melee peeler. It was hella fun, especially drunk pvp nights
    It was different on hib Igraine perhaps because so often we were out numbers. Each hib on the frontier was you brother or sister in arms. There were always a few who would call for duels or 8v8 fight and to a limited extent they were respected. But if you were in a patrol and you saw your countrymen under attack you charged in. It did not matter if it was a 8v8 or the enemy had 20 on 4 you tired to help and could expect the same in return.

My wife and I usually ran a Blademaster druid team in our guild groups and a pair of lurican rangers when the guild was offline. I remember several times when a well timed pair of crit shot took down the enamy healer and turned desperate fight by a outnumbers hibb squad into a victory. Then our just fading away to continue our part in the stealth wars killing stealthers and scouting.
    Last edited by Fastred; 02-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kokodaddy View Post
    This question I have seen asked a 1000 times and in 99% of all answers "3 realms" is included... It is mind boggleing to me that no other MMO witch features PVP has used the third realm/faction... Nope instead companys just offer free server transfers and increased exp and loot to get people to join a server/faction that is outnumbered......

You can yell at me all you want but in the end rift will do the same thing...

3rd faction is FTW...
    EQ2 had Qeynos vs. Freeport on PvP servers. But it was also possible to go "Exile," a 3rd faction. Though not quite the same, it turned out very successful for the hardcore PvPers. Exiles could kill Qeynos, Freeport, and other Exiled players.

3 Realms had 3 Converging converging terrories with their own respective castles/keeps. Your main keeps contained a Relic that impacted your realms performance. These were hard to steal and impacted your entire realms performance. You had a sense of realm pride at taking other's relics and defending your own. When your keeps were under siege you WANTED to run out in mass and man the ramparts and defend your lands. Seige engines also played a large part in taking keeps. A 3rd realm provided the ability to counter the larger faction on a server provided the two lesser populated realms teamed up. It was a balance of sorts, but mostly worked.
    SPARTALALALAAALALAALALAAA

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fastred View Post
    It was different on hib Igraine perhaps because so often we were out numbers. Each hib on the frontier was you brother or sister in arms. There were always a few who would call for duels or 8v8 fight and to a limited extent they were respected. But if you were in a patrol and you saw your countrymen under attack you charged in. It did not matter if it was a 8v8 or the enemy had 20 on 4 you tired to help and could expect the same in return.

My wife and I usually ran a Blademaster druid team in our guild groups and a pair of lurican rangers when the guild was offline. I remember several times when a well timed pair of crit shot took down the enamy healer and turned desperate fight by a outnumbers hibb squad into a victory. Then our just fading away to continue our part in the stealth wars killing stealthers and scouting.
    Dude hib igraine!!! I ran Elmprotector my furby warden and my wife was frigget (we played mid first on isuelt she played a healing shammy... friggs the heals were called ) until they changed her name because someone said it was offensive...

We ran dragon raids and some DF raids between our pvp time. I hated TOA but we lead alot of ML3 raids till my wife just got sick of the TOA grind and how it imbalanced pvp/rvr that she just quit.. and never played another mmo again.....

did u think that will be possible to play in a 5-10man teams roaming in the contested zone in pve server?

i don't think this will be possible in pvp servers that will be mostly full of mindless zerg or stealthy sin that kill lowbie, but maybe, in the pve servers this can be more possible

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2