+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do you do it?

Default Why do you do it?

I am not trolling. This is an honest question.

I personally have never felt the urge to gank/grief someone. Apply your own definition if you wish; the definition I usually go by is that if I get effectively no rewards for killing a player or an npc, it isn't worth my time. Killing someone who, due to a level difference (usually() has no chance of putting up a fight qualifies as ganking. Doing it repeatedly or killing quest mobs/npcs and/or camping respawn spots to kill them again moves into griefing territory.

Please understand, I am not judging here, I am simply explaining what I understand to be the common definition of the terms I am inquiring about to allow some basis for discussion. If your definition differs, feel free to explain what it is when (if) you respond.

I recognize that for many people, ganking/griefing is fun. What I would like to understand is why?
    What prompts you to do it, why is it enjoyable?
    Last edited by ecint; 02-08-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo correction
    Intelligence may be overrated, but it is better than the alternative.

I'm an *******, pretty much. It entertains me. For me it all started with Left 4 Dead when I noticed how badly people will flip out and literally scream over their microphone at people for doing the smallest of things they don't want them to. So I started shooting my teammates, suiciding, etc. People get so angry over a game. Makes no sense to me. Gives me the giggles. So if I ever feel like camping someone and just killing them over and over, it's likely in hopes that they're getting seriously mad about it, cussing at the pc, screaming, throwing their keyboard. It amuses me. I actually had a friend that would do just that on WoW. He was getting ganked over and over, got so mad he threw his keyboard at the wall. Ripped it right out of the USB port and damaged the port as well.

Some people need to take a chill pill.

And not play on a PVP server if it's going to be that big of a problem.

Prophet of Telara

I keep it simple ... red = dead. That's changed a little these days but if I can kill someone I will.

As far as ganking and griefing, i get no joy outta farming someone that has no chance vs me. I'd rather go fight challenging battles like 1vX where I am outnumbered and still roll people.
    True skill comes without effort

Bait.
    So I can kill their alts and their mains with many /lols.

My favorite is when they roll your faction and instantly block you, but send you 16 paragraphs. That really gets my willies off.

Overall, it's hilarious and I usually don't discriminate who I gank.

Default Thank you to the responders

Especially for their candidness. I think that helps me understand the motivations a little better.
    Intelligence may be overrated, but it is better than the alternative.

+ Reply to Thread