Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: WoW's latest patch bringing in Rifters

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbet View Post
    Their whole "bring the player, not the class" model was the final nail in the coffin for class diversity.
    Whereas RIFT seems to be doing an okay job of that by making it easier for people to swap roles, so you really can bring a player on whatever calling they have handy.

If I had to nail it down to a single thing... the killer for me was during the Real ID forum drama. After all their MVPs had come out and said "I will stop using the forums if this happened", Blizzard said "We know some people will leave, and we think that'll make the forums and game better." When all of the complaints came from mature adults, and most of the die-hard trolls were 100% in favor of the change.

That level of not-giving-a-**** about the player base really is hard for me to get past.

Rift Disciple

No matter what happens Trion PLEASE dont dumb down this game for the influx of WoW players. Those guys are used to a very dumbed down game in the genre but Rift is its own game with a respectable difficulty level and gameplay. They will learn to grow up into Rift, dont let the game stoop down to them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbet View Post
    More than anything else Blizz has done to WoW, this is my top complaint. I can accept resilience (as poorly designed as it is), I can accept welfare epics (lolwotlk... *sigh* ) and I can accept tedious pseudo-grinds (GG cata). Their whole "bring the player, not the class" model was the final nail in the coffin for class diversity. Now they're trying to recover from that, but they're doing it by... making every class the same.
    I quit WoW for the same reason. You never need any specific class for anything, playing my caster feels the same as playing my warrior. The spell effects look different but I can do anything anyone else can do.

Everyone has two or three ridiculously long silences or CC, everyone has a immune to CC cooldown...

You can't even have a unique build anymore. It's 31/10 or bust.

I've been with wow for 5 years now and hated Cata. The class changes were ridiculous-especially to healing classes. I leveled a healing druid to 72 and haven't played her since just after the release because of the changes. Same goes for my 75 hunter, it's just not fun anymore. I enjoy my 85 mage but again, it's boring. You get from 1-85 on a bullet train and spend the rest of the journey on your hands and knees. I'm REALLY enjoying Rift but my concern is the community. The forums are FANTASTIC, people seem respectful and helpful with very few trolls. However, the in-game community really started to get bad this last beta on Sat (and especially Sunday). The wow community is my biggest reason for not playing anymore. Blizzard has no consequence to the bullying, racists, sexists and sexual comments being made in trade ALL the time now. I'm really hoping the Rift trolls will leave when this goes live (or pay to play) and those that stay Trion will have a strict policy on this kind of in-game behavior (backed up with action). The funny thing is, just the THREAT of a GM monitoring chat shut the trolls up pretty fast lawl!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darvaria View Post
    Well all the comments on the WOW forums did bring me to look at Rift. But now all the nerfs to PVP and the way world PVP was ruined in Beta 6 will keep me from doing anything.
    That's extremely rational, because it is absolutely certain that a company that had more patch notes for a one week beta update than WoW sometimes has for major content patches could NEVER, EVER, work on further refining or improving a fix that they tested.

Good luck with this game. But it doesn't sound like it offers one advantage over WOW. My guess it will be just like all the other MMO .... falling far short of expectations. And being less than average.
    It offers a lot of advantages over WoW.

Give it a try. Open beta coming up, won't cost you a thing. Just, you know. Actually try it.

I think it's neat how Rift can actually make circles in their environment; Wow on the other hand uses hexa/octogons for their wheels, plates etc.

That's the only reason I'm switching to Rift really.. the circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquisk2 View Post
    WoW WAS a good game, not anymore.
    Yup, Vanilla and BC were both fun. I stayed for wrath because of friends and what not, but cataclysm, there is no way in hell.

If a MMO can keep me out of a city doing things I enjoy with people from my server I will play it and so far I can see Rift doing that. If they ever implement a LFD system I will leave, I am not even a fan of the warfront system, I don't want to PvP with people not on my server, but I guess it is a give and take.

I believe there will be a lot of people who have played WoW for a very long time coming over to Rift. Cataclysm seems more like a restructuring of the game for a completely new generation of players. They spent more time reworking the old world than they did adding content. Blizzard is not stupid, they know that the same people aren't going to play their game for 10 years, but they can hook a whole new generation of players with Cata.

If I was totally new to MMO's and was 15, then I'd play WoW.

I'm not new to MMO's and I'm much older than 15, so I'm looking for something new and I don't think Blizzard could do ANYTHING that would keep me in the game after all the years I've played it.

I just feel extremely lucky that Rift dropped in my lap at exactly the right moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswift View Post
    No matter what happens Trion PLEASE dont dumb down this game for the influx of WoW players. Those guys are used to a very dumbed down game in the genre but Rift is its own game with a respectable difficulty level and gameplay. They will learn to grow up into Rift, dont let the game stoop down to them!
    The overused "dumb WoW players" phrase just makes you sound like an ignorant *******, as it does anyone else who uses it. WoW was not this terrible behemoth of a game, it may not have been something you enjoyed. I didn't really like playing Everquest 2, I preferred the better fluidity of WoW at launch. You don't hear me going around and saying, "don't dumb down the game for EQ2" players... Honestly, there is hardly that much of a difference. Cramming hundreds of players into a raid rather than doing the same thing with 40 doesn't make the game harder. It just means you can make more mistakes because there are so many people to fill in all the roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadesbiker View Post
    Blizzard isnt worried about Rift

If you actually think that you are naive. Giants in the industry worry about the smallest competitor. This is true for all industries not just gaming.

If you don't you could be an afterthought. Just ask Yahoo, went they disregarded Google.
    Last edited by Sharuko; 02-08-2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Sharuko - Guardian Mathosian Cleric
    Sharuko - Defiant Kelari Rogue
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=138502&dateline=13019  27021

Quote Originally Posted by Shriker View Post

I just feel extremely lucky that Rift dropped in my lap at exactly the right moment.
    Timing is extremely important and you are right, Rift just placed it correctly.

Before games like SWTOR and right after the Cata hyped wore down.
    Sharuko - Guardian Mathosian Cleric
    Sharuko - Defiant Kelari Rogue
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=138502&dateline=13019  27021

For what its worth, hordes of WoW players coming to Rift is to me, NOT good news.
    Originally Posted by Cactuschef

Souls:
    Fixed a problem where you could combine certain talents for a useful result.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    They delete any thread saying Rift is good, they delete any thread saying Rift is bad. They even delete threads with a fox, they also delete threads in a box.

They delete threads that aren't about WoW. It's not a conspiracy. It's just their forum policy.

What I find amusing is that the people quitting can't even agree as to why they're quiting. Some people insist Blizzard is catering to the elitists, others say Blizz is catering to the casuals. I think most are just tired after being in the game for so long and jarred by the significant shift from the end of the previous expansion to the beginning of this one.

I'm wondering what things will look like when they put out the first content patch of Cataclysm.
    Do they delete them here, or there? Do they delete them anywhere?
    Do they delete for fracking spam? Do they delete them Sam I am?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    Great, so we're going to have this mass influx of players who can't handle how "difficult" (lol) WoW is now?
    WoW is not hard.....

It's boring. There is a difference...

Wow good to see we are getting illiterates too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadesbiker View Post
    Blizzard isnt worried about Rift

I would be if I was them. Losing a chunk of players that were your bread and butter as well as the members of the Development team that made WoW what it used to be would have me a bit worried....
    Last edited by Nekro; 02-08-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    If you actually think that you are naive. Giants in the industry worry about the smallest competitor. This is true for all industries not just gaming.
    Dont think they engage in the drama fanbois from teh various games engage in.

They arent worried about Rift. Rift will NOT be the Wow killer. The only thing that will kill Wow is Wow itself. It will fall like Rome fell from within

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast