Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: WoW's latest patch bringing in Rifters

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    I'm wondering what things will look like when they put out the first content patch of Cataclysm.
    Empty with the people leaving lol

No I know WoW will never die. It is like Cancer. The thing is that we were hooked on all the other expansions due to the fact what it offered in ways of questing etc kept us busy. The fact is outside of raids you can queue for dungeaons, wait for raid nights and fly around doing Archeology...... That's it. And trust me it gets REALLY boring after a while. Rift dealt with that. Rifts can be fought OR you can simply avoid them. It offers something fun and challenging to do at almost any given point of time. It keeps the player busy. Wow offers.... trade chat trolling?

Wow vet here. I quit last month because I was just totally bored. Already had everything I could get out of heroics and the only thing left to do was raid and I just didn't feel like getting on that treadmill again.

Now, lucky for me, I discover this new game I hadn't even heard about and it's actually FUN!

Yeah, I know it's just another treadmill, but it's a NEW treadmill and that old one was getting all creaky and old.

Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    It's a job. The "fun" element has been long gone.
    Amen. I play a game to have fun. Now WoW just isn't that.
    Raithe - Paragon PVE DPS, Champ PVP, Reaver Tank

The pity train has just derailed @ the intersection of suck it up & move on, and crashed into we all have problems, before coming to a complete stop @ get the heck over it. Any complaints about how we operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-wa wa wa with Dr. Sniffle reporting live from Quitchur B1tching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro View Post
    Rift dealt with that. Rifts can be fought OR you can simply avoid them. It offers something fun and challenging to do at almost any given point of time. It keeps the player busy. Wow offers.... trade chat trolling?
    I just can't bring myself to be interested in these rifts. Some mobs spawned in one of X pre-set areas, woohoo? But wait, when you kill them...more mobs spawn! And then when you kill those, rewards literally rain from the sky (at least I think that visual effect is supposed to represent the rewards we get).

edit: Snipped most of your post because I pretty much responded to that sentiment already with my previous post.
    Last edited by Primal Zed; 02-08-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    What I want to see in a next-gen MMORPG:
    • A more active combat experience, moving away (but not entirely discarding) stat sheets and random number generators to determine combat results and instead gives more credence to dodging, blocking, and timing.
    • An immersive questing experience that doesn't require you to talk to and turn in quests to NPCs yet can still tell a story.

I played WoW for about 6 years. It is, was, a good game. It just isn't the same fun I use to have in game. I started to loose interest when LK came out, I stayed for that expansion and raided because of in game friends. I was excited when Cata was announced and it's release. After I reached 85 on my main, I realized it was still the same ol' same ol'. I played other MMOs here and there, but nothing really caught my eye or held my interest for more then a week or two. I always went back to WoW.

When I heard about Rift a few months ago it was because of the "Not in Azeroth any more" add. It made me giggle and think 'Wow how cocky is this game?" I got to play beta 5 and gave the game a try. I fell in love from character creation, game play, cinematic, everything in general. I have yet to do any dungeons, or get past level 16. I think I have created about 10 characters, and had fun with each and every one of them. Rift makes me want to play the game and not stand around in the major city and complain about the game with friends. I left WoW, with no regrets, and possibly later I may go back. But for now only experiencing about 10% of Rift, I am hooked and in love.

Comparing Rift with WoW, in my mind, is just silly. The add was right, you are not in Azeroth any more. So stop comparing the two games. Play what is fun for you. I hope I get to meet you all and have fun with you in Telara.

Great, so we're going to have this mass influx of players who can't handle how "difficult" (lol) WoW is now?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sinorf View Post
    Cata was an awesome success ... they hit a home run.

"World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, the third expansion for the MMO giant, sold more than 3.3 million copies as of its first 24 hours of release, making it the fastest-selling PC game of all time. This milestone eclipses the previous record of more than 2.8 million copies sold in 24 hours, set in November 2008 by Blizzard’s second World of Warcraft expansion, Wrath of the Lich King."

Anyone that has to poke holes at WOW to prop-up RIFT is clueless. Blizzard did so many things right, and continues to do so many things right -- they literally wrote the book on successful MMORPG. You know Trion is studying them because they HAVE done a number of things right.

When/if Rift has 12 million subscribers, you will see them policing their forums a lot more.

In the mean time, WOW is old. The same basic look, the same basic combat, the same basic progression -- lots of people are just hungry for a change.
    I have been playing WoW since beta and I loved it. I took an Aion break at one stage for three months but the game also had its flaws , so back to wow i went. Still loving wow I bought Cat expansion. Wow was never the same again. I never though they would be able to ruin a game that bad in so many different ways but they did. Not only am I bored with wow but even the things I loved about it is down the drain since Cat. So yes they had a big money grabbing success in selling Cat but that does not mean people was happy with the after sales experience.

Everyone that has been in the MMO field a while knows low level experience is different than high level. Max lvl content can make or break a game. How their devs react to minor flaws , content expansion and balancing will make or break the game in the end. So far Rift is doing pretty well. I have pre ordered and cant wait for my head start. From here on we can speculate till we are blue in the face but only time will tell.

Good luck to all my fellow MMOers , may the swartz be with you.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vicidous View Post
    Not to mention that all WoW classes are becoming too similar and have lost their uniqueness.
    More than anything else Blizz has done to WoW, this is my top complaint. I can accept resilience (as poorly designed as it is), I can accept welfare epics (lolwotlk... *sigh* ) and I can accept tedious pseudo-grinds (GG cata). Their whole "bring the player, not the class" model was the final nail in the coffin for class diversity. Now they're trying to recover from that, but they're doing it by... making every class the same.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    Great, so we're going to have this mass influx of players who can't handle how "difficult" (lol) WoW is now?
    I'd be fine with that if they were willing to learn and ask questions, and usually I find that they are if you talk to them in a reasonably courteous manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Same here. My main paladin who I have played since vanilla now has a combo point system...Needless to say I re-rolled mains and still got bored with the new guy. Cata to me was the same thing as wrath, except it was a little harder and different scenery.
    Just saw this post.

But yeah, I sympathize. Ended up abandoning my old mains, a holy paladin and resto druid respectively (playing them since BC), when healing in Cata turned into a nightmare. Been playing since classic, too, but as a rogue for vanilla. They didn't scale healing AT ALL, and when health pools jumped exponentially and the damage they received followed, it just took all the joy out of healing for me. Went back to my rogue from classic and while that was entertaining for a week, it didn't last.

Here's to Rift filling our MMO needs, cheers.
    -[B A R D]-
    SERVING YOUR DISTRACTION NEEDS SINCE 1989
    RULES TO LIVE BY
    Artwork: DeviantArt
    Music: Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    As someone who is one of those number-crunching elitists with no friends, I have to disagree in that I did not feel that WoW was at all being catered toward my crowd. For that matter, I find Rift to be far more inviting. ;)
    http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4c..._this_post.jpg
    100% agreed

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 420 View Post
    i think alot of wow players(myself included) have just bin waiting for something else to play,and for me atleast rift is it.
    You, me and a a few thousand is my guess... Cata was cataclysmic alright.. blew the game out of the water in more ways than one.. total fail expac imo.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    WoW is a good game, there is no denying that. But recent changes have been mind boggling.

I am guessing the actual devs left for the Titan MMO project and left people like Ghostcrawler to run the show.
    WoW WAS a good game, not anymore.

Soulwalker

Well all the comments on the WOW forums did bring me to look at Rift. But now all the nerfs to PVP and the way world PVP was ruined in Beta 6 will keep me from doing anything.

Too bad. It seems this game really had something going in world PVP and then ruined it.

I rather do more RL things than play another boring game. I'll keep my WOW membership even though I don't play it much. But I'm not investing time in another MMO that is nerfing PVP in Beta.

Good luck with this game. But it doesn't sound like it offers one advantage over WOW. My guess it will be just like all the other MMO .... falling far short of expectations. And being less than average.

I'll keep checking but reading on forums about all the nerfs to PVP has made me decline doing anything in Rift at this time.
    Last edited by darvaria; 02-08-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Blizzard isnt worried about Rift

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast