Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: WoW's latest patch bringing in Rifters

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Same thing happened with AoC and WAR.

People were playing WoW again the moment their 1-free month of ____ was over.

I hope Rift maintains it's playerbase and builds upon it.

But it's very hard to compete in this market these days.

Just don't take anything for granted.
    100% agreed. I am very anxious to see how the launch goes, and how end game plays it self out. This will make or break RIFT.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by 420 View Post
    i think alot of wow players(myself included) have just bin waiting for something else to play,and for me atleast rift is it.
    this

WoW has grown stale and Rift is my excuse out...

Lets hope its worth it!
    HERE HAVE SOME FUN DIP!!

i would not say Blizzard is casual unfriendly... being as how Blizzard seems to swing between casuals and hardcore desperately trying to appease everyone... but in terms of a game that is easy to get into... yeah of course RIFT would be less daunting than WoW.. RIFT is going to be new and because of that not have a giant population of end gamers (being as it has none right now because its not live).... where as WoW the majority of every server is 85 (thats the new lvl cap right) .... and having 85 levels to do in order to just catch up level wise then having to go from there to start grinding gear in order to get into the end game... that would seem overwhelming... WoW's problem is that its 6 years old ... the vets (like myself) have grown bored of it... and lots of new comers are driven away from it because of the sheer amount of levels you have to do....

WoW's downfall will be its age and success ...

-Ardure

I've been glued to the Rift website for the last several days..

What did they change in the patch that has everyone so upset?

They'll all be back in WoW when the discover there are no 10 man instances in Rift.

Oh noes now i'll never get my epic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallenn View Post
    I've been glued to the Rift website for the last several days..

What did they change in the patch that has everyone so upset?
    They changed the ability to take over quest hubs on normal PVE servers and cut-throat always-flagged PVP ones. That's the thing that people are upset about, which is understandable for the always-flagged PVP server ruleset.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinge View Post
    They'll all be back in WoW when the discover there are no 10 man instances in Rift.

Oh noes now i'll never get my epic!!
    10-mans aren't gone, they're just delayed on implementation per the podcast. P.S. nice italicized joke .
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 02-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by 420 View Post
    i think alot of wow players(myself included) have just bin waiting for something else to play,and for me atleast rift is it.
    Yeah, I have been sitting in Orgrimmar since I hit 85, 3 days after Cata hit. Rift is my calling and so I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro View Post
    Blizzard now only caters to number crunchers, elitists, people that have no friends outside of avatars...
    As someone who is one of those number-crunching elitists with no friends, I have to disagree in that I did not feel that WoW was at all being catered toward my crowd. For that matter, I find Rift to be far more inviting. ;)
    -[B A R D]-
    SERVING YOUR DISTRACTION NEEDS SINCE 1989
    RULES TO LIVE BY
    Artwork: DeviantArt
    Music: Youtube

There was only a handful of number crunchers in WoW, everybody else was told to read what they said and copy it word for word, or else your a noob. If your an Hunter, THIS is what you will do. If your a Warrior, THIS is what you will do. I got tired of that, it allows no real experimentation and you HAVE to level up new characters 85 levels if you want to try a new playstyle. Like say going from a DPS Hunter to tanking, it just can't really be done in a serious manner in WoW. (BM turtles only get you so far)
    Last edited by LauZaIM; 02-08-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helotais View Post
    WoW's dev team only consists of 60 people anyways...
    Yeah, but how many of those are alts?

Quote Originally Posted by Xelotath View Post
    World of Warcraft
    Having fun trolling there?
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe GPU: eVGA GTX 470 SC @ 1550 Shader/1782 Mem RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 4GB @ 1600Mhz HD: 2X500GB Spintpoints RAID 0 Case: Cooler Master HAF X Nvidia Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Same thing happened with AoC and WAR.

People were playing WoW again the moment their 1-free month of ____ was over.

I hope Rift maintains it's playerbase and builds upon it.

But it's very hard to compete in this market these days.

Just don't take anything for granted.
    When Lolhammer was released, WoW wasn't suffering of an acute case of failure as it does now. Ppl didn't really have a major reason to leave wow.

That has changed. If there is a mass transfer to Rift, it's not as much because Rift roxors boxors as it is because WoW is in a very bad state atm, due mostly to rushed and poorly implemented content and autistic developers who are way way out of touch with the community, like they're living on Mars or something.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ardure View Post
    WoW's downfall will be its age and success ...
    Cata was an awesome success ... they hit a home run.

"World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, the third expansion for the MMO giant, sold more than 3.3 million copies as of its first 24 hours of release, making it the fastest-selling PC game of all time. This milestone eclipses the previous record of more than 2.8 million copies sold in 24 hours, set in November 2008 by Blizzard’s second World of Warcraft expansion, Wrath of the Lich King."

Anyone that has to poke holes at WOW to prop-up RIFT is clueless. Blizzard did so many things right, and continues to do so many things right -- they literally wrote the book on successful MMORPG. You know Trion is studying them because they HAVE done a number of things right.

When/if Rift has 12 million subscribers, you will see them policing their forums a lot more.

In the mean time, WOW is old. The same basic look, the same basic combat, the same basic progression -- lots of people are just hungry for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by LauZaIM View Post
    There was only a handful of number crunchers in WoW, everybody else was told to read what they said and copy it word for word, or else your a noob.
    Lol, this. Told to go read Elitist Jerks, copy their spec, copy how they tell you to gem/enchant and copy their rotations, if you don't you suck.

Now I have done a little number crunching myself, not much but I have played around with spreadsheets and other tools, and it was fun, even if it was a ton of work.

They delete any thread saying Rift is good, they delete any thread saying Rift is bad. They even delete threads with a fox, they also delete threads in a box.

They delete threads that aren't about WoW. It's not a conspiracy. It's just their forum policy.

What I find amusing is that the people quitting can't even agree as to why they're quiting. Some people insist Blizzard is catering to the elitists, others say Blizz is catering to the casuals. I think most are just tired after being in the game for so long and jarred by the significant shift from the end of the previous expansion to the beginning of this one.

I'm wondering what things will look like when they put out the first content patch of Cataclysm.
    What I want to see in a next-gen MMORPG:
    • A more active combat experience, moving away (but not entirely discarding) stat sheets and random number generators to determine combat results and instead gives more credence to dodging, blocking, and timing.
    • An immersive questing experience that doesn't require you to talk to and turn in quests to NPCs yet can still tell a story.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast