+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I despise social networking.

Telaran

Default I despise social networking.

I'll be the first one to admit that I am old-fashioned. I began my affair with the Internet back in the days of dial-up. I built my first PC from scratch (what a disaster THAT was). My often-fondest memories of MMOs consist of the endless scrolling text to the tune of "Your Acid Blast <+><+>- <+><+>!!!!OBLITERATES!!!!<+><+>- <+><+> the beastly fido!" and the sheer terror at the possibility of someone picking up the phone and disconnecting me while I was in the middle of a bossfight.

You see, back in those days (he said puffing on his corncob pipe, creaking with his joints and stinking of broccoli), your real-life identity was a thing to treasure and preserve. We didn't need seminars, where well-groomed Business School graduates explained to us in great detail how you really shouldn't stick your name, your phone number, your address and your naked arse into the cyberspace for everyone to see. Sure, people met face to face every so often, and it was SPECIAL. I remember a birthday party that a MUD's IMP threw for his girlfriend, and two dozen people showed up from all over North America; afterwards, we all got Junior IMM status (cookeh if you know what that means). THAT was our Blizzcon.

And yes, I admit, not all of us had it all together, myself included. Which is likely why we took to the Internet rather than partying and going out and schmoozing and whatever else you are supposed to do to be considered social. But it was "our thing to do".

Fast-forward to now. MySpace was a joke; Facebook not so much. Suddenly, the blue-and-white logo and its fresh-faced CEO opened the floodgates for everyone. Just-friggin'-everyone. Right, BAWWWW; the ugly kids' playground got overrun by cool kids. Nobody cares; that's why the ugly kids are ugly and cool kids are cool.

Still, I can't help but take umbrage at the trampling of the "old ways". I miss the times when sharing a real name, a real-life picture and (gods forbid) real-life address meant something special. I miss the times when it wasn't, in fact, a normal practice to plaster every trite achievement of your life all over the Web. When NOT coming up on a Web search was an accomplishment.

And yes, I miss the times when the 'Net was a social club for the nerds and the geeks, and "normal people" with their parties, their martini bars and their tragically hip urban lofts "just didn't do that kind of stuff".

Yes, there was a lot fewer "connections". You couldn't feel like you are in touch with your favorite celebrity by just gobbling up their latest tweets. And if you wanted to stay in touch with someone, you had to - shockingly - pick up the phone, or write an email, instead of giving them their Nth virtual sheep or "liking" yet another picture of their dog or their kid. Oh, and when you were looking for a job? You didn't "network" your way to it; you had to search and interview, and you were a stranger going up against strangers in an honest competition, not grabbing the job because you happened to be somebody's buddy. These days, "networking" is the new name for nepotism, and nepotism's in!

BAWWW.

On a more serious, though rather amusing note. I had the dubious privilege of having worked as a sysadmin for a rather psychotic trust-fund baby millionaire. One day, my employer desired a certain domain name, and much to his chagrin found out that it was already taken. I WHOIS'ed it for him and found the registrant's name. My psycho boss, frothing at the mouth, proceeded to scour LinkedIn, and within five minutes knew not just where the poor bastard lived, but also his entire work history and his present work location. Ultimately nothing came of it, but regardless, I wouldn't want to be that registrant.

So anyway. Raise your hand if you think that the recent trends are crap, if you think that the social networking is a god-damned blight upon the Internet, and if you secretly wish you could go back to the way things once were.

If you had a blog, I'd read it.

Faith - Cleric

Back from the Dead..

RIFT Community Ambassador Laughter's Avatar

Facebook use to be for students in college... you could only sign up if you had a school e-mail. That is when I signed up for mine....

Now my grandma has one.

Rift Disciple

I have zero desire to be a casualty of the whole social networking fiasco.

The more connected we get, the less we know each other.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Laughter View Post
    Facebook use to be for students in college... you could only sign up if you had a school e-mail. That is when I signed up for mine....

Now my grandma has one.
    Same. Ahh, those were the good ole days. No adds, no game apps, just poke wars.

I miss poke wars. Does anyone want to have a poke war? The nostalgia is killing me.

Edit: I suck at typing.
    Last edited by Fuinir; 02-08-2011 at 10:54 AM.

/em pulls out a Halibut.. and looks around impishly
    "There are brave men out there.. let's go kill them.."

I had a Facebook when it was college students only. I deleted it when they added "Places," where it would constantly tell other people where you are unless you navigate a labyrinth to opt out of it. Now, my roommates and I have banned the use of Facebook in our house, and we check through our network logs periodically if there are a lot of people over (happens rarely, we're nerds).

I went to a party the other night and I noticed something interesting... Everyone there was both a part of the reality, and the "virtual reality." Someone would take a picture, and immediately, everyone's phones would start beeping as their Facebook apps gave them notifications. It was a bit unsettling, it was as if people would rather share the experience with 900 other people (who probably don't give a ****) than let themselves and those around them live the experience. Rather unsettling.

Being able to pick up on weird stuff like this is particularly why I don't drink - if I had been drunk, I probably would have never even noticed.

By the way, I'm 23 years old... I'm not some old-timer who doesn't understand Facebook. Not to disrespect old-timers, I'm just saying, I completely understand how it all works and still thinks it's disturbing and breeding a somnambulant society. Yet somehow, I'm the weirdo for not having a Facebook.

"What? You don't make all of your private information available for everyone to see? WHY NOT?"

Plane Touched

I go way back too. In high school I used to run a small BBS with two nodes. One at my house for 2400 baud connections and one at my buddy's house with a high-speed 9600 baud connection.

Personally, I'm glad for social networking. More "normal" people are on the internet now. The internet should be the ultimate melting pot.

I remember a birthday party that a MUD's IMP threw for his girlfriend, and two dozen people showed up from all over North America; afterwards, we all got Junior IMM status (cookeh if you know what that means). THAT was our Blizzcon.
    While unlikely, was this for Land of the ruins, ruinsmud or something along those lines?:P
    I wish I had a comprehension gun.

I use facebook.... but only so much as to keep in contact with friends/family that don't live near bye.

I can't stand all the apps and games on that stupid thing.... my last update was, "Stop sending me game/app invites, I will not particpate in that crap!"

It has its uses, but all in all.... don't like the whole social networking scene. Anymore, most of it is just another way for people to advertise to you.

Guardian of Kindred Spirits on the Greybriar Shard - It's in the player!

I pick up the phone or hop in my car if I want to talk to friends/family. I refuse to even look at facebook, myspace or twitter. I also don't care to know when my cousin, my friend's mom or my sister's hair dresser has a bowel movement.
    Last edited by phoenixfire82; 02-08-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 17351802 View Post
    I had a Facebook when it was college students only. I deleted it when they added "Places," where it would constantly tell other people where you are unless you navigate a labyrinth to opt out of it. Now, my roommates and I have banned the use of Facebook in our house, and we check through our network logs periodically if there are a lot of people over (happens rarely, we're nerds).

I went to a party the other night and I noticed something interesting... Everyone there was both a part of the reality, and the "virtual reality." Someone would take a picture, and immediately, everyone's phones would start beeping as their Facebook apps gave them notifications. It was a bit unsettling, it was as if people would rather share the experience with 900 other people (who probably don't give a ****) than let themselves and those around them live the experience. Rather unsettling.

Being able to pick up on weird stuff like this is particularly why I don't drink - if I had been drunk, I probably would have never even noticed.

By the way, I'm 23 years old... I'm not some old-timer who doesn't understand Facebook. Not to disrespect old-timers, I'm just saying, I completely understand how it all works and still thinks it's disturbing and breeding a somnambulant society. Yet somehow, I'm the weirdo for not having a Facebook.

"What? You don't make all of your private information available for everyone to see? WHY NOT?"
    Disturbing isn't it. I think it is a biproduct of the Ritalin/Reality TV culture that has become so prevalent in modern society.
    Everybody wants to be a star and they want to be it NOW! Facebutt, MyFace and Twatter are just riding the egomaniacal wave by providing the medium.

The story about your boss is pretty funny. I can't stand Facebook and all the other crap though. My girl tried making me create one for so long but at least she gave up on that silly idea. In college my friends always wanted me to create one. That was seriously obnoxious. And like the poster above I'm 23. I only knew of two people that hated that stuff but now I know more. Thought me and my best friend were the only ones. Seems like any one with acess to the internet uses those services.

Rift Disciple

I made a facebook profile to appease some friends, but I never check it... ever. I pretty much hate its existance.

Prophet of Telara

I only keep family and my bestest buddies on my facebook, but I can't really hate on social networking even though I feel that the type of socializing it creates is often dumbed down and silly (there are some pretty mindless walls that could make anyone cringe)

We live in an age of decadence and the majority of people love attention... so things like twitter and social networking sites are a way to put them on the map.
    True skill comes without effort

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast