+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I despise social networking.

Plane Touched

I'm a digital Art Director.

That means I make the majority of my living integrating applications, campaigns, and events via social networks. I know almost everything there is to know about Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace. From both a personal and professional perspective.

I even built a game with a friend that I launched on Facebook and we had over 3,000 monthly actives.

That being said, I absolutely ****ing hate social networking.

I mean everything about it.

The attention whoring alone makes me want to ****ing puke.

Plane Touched

/raises hand

Don't have a twitter account, don't have a facebook account and don't ever plan on it. Even though I am interested in Diaspora and in case your interested: https://joindiaspora.com/ to check it out

But that because I'm hoping it goes back to some of the things you said . . . Privacy and Security.
    "He enjoys life -- as do all who are spared the curse of intelligence." -HP Lovecraft in a 1922 letter to Anne Tillery Renshaw
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." - HP Lovecraft "The Call of Cthulhu"

I am also against Social Networking sites, despite of having some functions that are indeed useful, f.e. keeping in touch with friends and family or distributing information (mostly corporations or <your interest> site). Anything else from playing crappy games and telling people mindlessly each detail of your boring day... NAH!

When it comes to sharing personal stuff, like name, location etc i am also very modest to say the least. Besides my country i dont say much about myself and in the whole interwebz are two, i say it again... TWO lousy pictures from me, one random masspicture and one with my name from the school i visited. And even with these, there is no connection to be found between my nicks and RL identity. Well maybe if you have access (or hack) to some servers^^'

I also dont like it, when people calling each other by RL names, its sometimes already confusing enough with those creative nicks around and then to complicate things with RL names or other nicks...
    Last edited by FinalplayerRyu; 02-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.

I guess I'm also rather old school about the networking. I refuse to get a hyves (dutch facebook) account to the chagrin of my coworkers. If you want to know how my weekend was, ask me and visa versa. They've come to understand my pov and respect me for it.

In the gaming community I'm a bit more free about my rl name. Then again, I still only share it with those with whom I speak frequently, but I'm also generally a very social person in guilds and such so it's not too surprising that quite a few of the core members will know my rl name and also use it to adress me.

This is also possible that people will use my rl name since it's and awesome for a fantasy setting (greek mytholigical name ftw :P) and I'm a female gamer... and we do tend to get a bit more intrest than your average male gamer. It's a fact :P And not because they generally want to get in my pants but because a lot of guys still think female gamers are an anomoly even though we're more common now then we ever were. But that's drifting off topic.

But things such as phone numbers, adress, all of that I won't share fast. Hell, I won't even share my email or msn with ppl from online games until I get to know them quite a bit better.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Serradyne View Post
    While unlikely, was this for Land of the ruins, ruinsmud or something along those lines?:P
    No, it was LUN (Land of Lost Unicorn). We were very small-scale, maybe 50 active users at most. And our IMP was really quite the bastard (to the point of forcing a MUD split once), but I had my reasons for being there.

I also played on Dragonswords, and... god, I don't remember anymore. Dragonswords and LUN are the only ones that stand out.

And I'm pleasantly surprised that there are a few people here sharing my outlook. I kind of expected to get flamed.
    Last edited by Hellblade; 02-08-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellblade View Post
    No, it was LUN (Land of Lost Unicorn). We were very small-scale, maybe 50 active users at most. And our IMP was really quite the bastard (to the point of forcing a MUD split once), but I had my reasons for being there.

I also played on Dragonswords, and... god, I don't remember anymore. Dragonswords and LUN are the only ones that stand out.
    Gotcha, yeah I played a ton of them, including the two above listed, thought that was a less generic term for staff back then, "Implementor" that is, but I guess not :P Private staff is the biggest reason I got out of muds, the internet is full of people, and as such inherently full of stupid =) being subject to the whims of a private staff in most of those games got to be a pretty big hassle. Obviously I'm not referencing what they did in terms of controlling changes to the game =), good times though.
    I wish I had a comprehension gun.

Kat

Couldn't agree more.

but you know, I have so many friends who are all "omg, you've got to get a facebook account!" that I actually went to the site to check it out. I was mulling over making said account, even though I managed to avoid myspace (my first experience with myspace is that my cheating ex fiance used it to shop for company younger & blonder than myself).

anyway, my boyfriend took me to a movie the next day, it was The Social Network, and many people said what an awesome movie it was... well it wasn't. The only likable character in the movie is the guy's girlfriend and she has maybe 3 minutes of screen time. The rest is a bunch of elitist BS and backstabbing and lying and "cooler than thou" ****. And I think that if I were the protagonist (the creator of facebook) and that was my life story, sure... i'd be a billionaire, but i'd still want to go drown myself in my bathtub post haste.

Everyone in this thread should watch Southpark season 14 episode 4: 'You Have Zero Friends'
    it's quite a laugh.

anyway, i need a new job, so I'll probably have to eventually wade out into all of this online social nonsense.
    Last edited by Kat; 02-08-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Myspace sucked (before it died), facebook sucks. Ive never had an account on either.. ever
    Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlugon Pyro View Post
    I have a bottle right next to me but if attractive women looked like that I might as well be gay.

Once you go up, you don't come down. The records are stored, they know and will get into your thoughts.

You post your actions, whereabouts... then they correlate graphs with objectives and simulate activities for you. You become un-made and fictious. They piece together your motives and put you on the strings. First you act for yourself, in time, you act for them. Increasing their wallet as you become broadcasted onto "reality" television shows. Once you're completely brainwashed you will follow what they tell you to. You'll undergo plastic surgery and look like a gorilla with damage skin, you'll instantly be a popular hit! They'll lend you to other advertisement programs for the sake of their wallet.

Then you'll die and be convicted of the crimes commited by your creator's. They're pure and you are forever sullied. Stay away from the system.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    Once you go up, you don't come down. The records are stored, they know and will get into your thoughts.

You post your actions, whereabouts... then they correlate graphs with objectives and simulate activities for you. You become un-made and fictious. They piece together your motives and put you on the strings. First you act for yourself, in time, you act for them. Increasing their wallet as you become broadcasted onto "reality" television shows. Once you're completely brainwashed you will follow what they tell you to. You'll undergo plastic surgery and look like a gorilla with damage skin, you'll instantly be a popular hit! They'll lend you to other advertisement programs for the sake of their wallet.

Then you'll die and be convicted of the crimes commited by your creator's. They're pure and you are forever sullied. Stay away from the system.
    Oh crap!... Where did I put my tin foil hat?

Two thumbs up OP! Here they are...

I miss the old Realms of Legends BBS days.... sigh... I miss the old facebook conversations about philosophy...

Most of all, I miss when having a guild party meant that you actually MET your guildmates at the local arcade. (Yes I said ARCADE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Desire View Post
    If you had a blog, I'd read it.

I can't help but thinking that would be against his views. I would too, though.
    Osh of Ascendant
    Ashstone PvP

I love Twitter<3
    Children of Cybertron ♥~
    -------
    Sex Life
    Tearfall: Cyrodiil Class/Class/Class Level.

I use it. Very few of my close peers do though.
    I'm 40.

I have never, and will not, put any personal details on there.
    Mostly I use it for promoting my gigs.
    Although there are people I rarely see IRL that I keep in contact with as well.

I am freinds with RIFT on there, which can be helpful if servers are down etc
    Amary; Beta 5: Patch Notes 1/24/11
    "Increased the size of mushrooms so they can be seen through grass/groundclutter/badgers."

Most of the social networking site's out there are kinda lame, and have some annoying "features", I will give you that.
    The fact is, though, that this is the new way of doing things.
    There was a time shortly after electricity was being installed in some homes, that people wouldn't get it in theirs. They didn't know or trust it. They stuck with candles at night and a wood fired stove.
    The truth of the matter is that your kind, Hellblade, is not going to be around much longer.

Time to evolve or die.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast