+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide where to move.

Default Trying to decide where to move.

I currently live in Fresno California... Which is central valley California and have been trying to decide where to move. I have made a list of where I am seriously considering if anyone lives or has lived in these places that would help with how life is there.

1. Seattle, WA
    2. Portland, OR
    3. San Diego, CA
    4. Monterey, CA

1. I lived in that area for 17 years.

If you can stand the rain. Lol Dynamic weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Delith View Post
    1. I lived in that area for 17 years.

If you can stand the rain. Lol Dynamic weather.
    I can stand a lot of rain as long as its not directly related to power outages how expensive is it to live there and hows the job market

Quote Originally Posted by Swope View Post
    I can stand a lot of rain as long as its not directly related to power outages how expensive is it to live there and hows the job market
    Depends on if you live in the city, it's not as bad as California and the power outages are fewer than you'd expect. Though there were a few large ones, but those were coupled with serious, and very rare windstorms.

The place with the best Job market I know of is Denver, CO. But Seattle isn't too bad.

move somewhere out of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    move somewhere out of the US.
    Harder to do then people think. I Would love to move to the U.K but it seems impossible unless I can find some british chick to marry.

I loved Portland so much when I lived there Weather is worse there than it is farther south where I grew up, but you get used to the rain after a while. Seattle is pretty cool too, but has a slightly different vibe to it, can't exactly explain though since I didn't spend too much time there.

Thing is, Portland is weird - you have to have a high tolerance for some pretty strange stuff, for example random streaking protests or the Zoobombers. That's kind of what I liked about it though. Never knew what was gonna happen when you went downtown. It's very much a love-it-or-hate-it type of city.

Northwest Portland (Downtown and the West Hills area) are very pretty, but have a lot of rich, occasionally stuck up people. I worked and lived there, so I know from experience, lol. Depending on your personality, you might Southeast Portland a bit more. Either way, there's something for everyone, I think.

Public transit is pretty decent, and there's lots of places to walk or bike if you're interested. The city can't handle snow, though.

Problems - lots of panhandlers and homeless people. Also economy in Oregon is pretty messed up at the moment. Cost of living is highish, but you can still find some place to live relatively cheaply if you don't mind being far from downtown. If cost is an issue, avoid the West Hills like the plague!

Hmm....can't think of anything else at the moment...hopefully that helps though.

I moved to the South a couple of years ago, but I still kind of miss the Pacific Northwest =/

Edit: Portland's also in a pretty good spot if you want to travel around the area. Mount Hood isn't too far away if you want some snowy fun (bout an hour and a half?) and the beach is equally close, more or less, so a lot of people take day trips. You can also go to Vancouver if you like it better there

Oregon doesn't have sales tax, which is amazing, but other taxes make up for it. Also, pumping your own gas is technically illegal so don't do it.
    Last edited by Selene; 11-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Harder to do then people think. I Would love to move to the U.K but it seems impossible unless I can find some british chick to marry.
    UK is amazing

Guild Leader of Reborn.
    Steampike-EU.
    -Disbanded-

I am moving to paradise in January.

Hervey bay. Australia

Fraser Island just off the coast.

http://www.discoverherveybay.com/
    Last edited by Smoopy; 11-16-2010 at 04:05 PM.

If you have a job now where you are I'd highly recommend you have something lined up in said city you are considering BEFORE moving. Speaking as someone who's found jack poop in over 2 years (though I am in a super high density area) I can guarentee you that you could wind up in trouble real fast if you don't have something set up where you are going.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Personally, I'd pick San Diego - it's the most beautiful city! Mountains, beaches, warm weather, pretty people (men and women). It is expensive though, but if you do move somewhere expensive, they generally pay better to support the cost of living. I think minimum wage is $8.00 which is not bad for 40 hours per week - that's about $15k per year. I don't have a job, so anything seems like it's nice, for me

I currently live in Fresno California... Which is central valley California and have been trying to decide where to move. I have made a list of where I am seriously considering if anyone lives or has lived in these places that would help with how life is there.

1. Seattle, WA
    2. Portland, OR
    3. San Diego, CA
    4. Monterey, CA
    I grew up in Monterey/Pacific Grove/Pebble Beach, have family that live there now and I visit regularly.

A truly amazing place to live, so much to see and do. Spectacular sights, beautiful ocean scenics.

The weather is also very pleasant year round. Not the heat like Fresno or SD have.

Monterey has a small village feel to it, compared to the other cities you listed that are quite large.

This shot is in Pacific Grove, which has some of the nicest ocean front. Far across the bay in the distance you see Seaside.
    http://zewtastic.zenfolio.com/img/s9...45944308-3.jpg
    The small muni course in PG also has some spectacular ocean front holes and a lot of deer.
    http://zewtastic.zenfolio.com/img/s5...16530102-3.jpg
    Also one of the places that Monarch butterflies migrate through.
    http://zewtastic.zenfolio.com/img/s5...89752053-4.jpg
    The ocean has lots of amazing tidal pools to explore, something that never gets old.
    http://zewtastic.zenfolio.com/img/s9...03090769-4.jpg

I have been in Fresno a few times, you will wish you moved years ago.

I hear SD is nice also, very nice, except when those fire storms kick up.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 11-16-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apherdite View Post
    Personally, I'd pick San Diego - it's the most beautiful city! Mountains, beaches, warm weather, pretty people (men and women). It is expensive though, but if you do move somewhere expensive, they generally pay better to support the cost of living. I think minimum wage is $8.00 which is not bad for 40 hours per week - that's about $15k per year. I don't have a job, so anything seems like it's nice, for me
    Except that it costs you an arm and a leg to live anywhere. I think 8 bucks is enough for a cardboard box in SD.

Santa Fe's minimum wage is $9.35.

Come to Ottawa. /hug

http://mattrichling.com/wp-content/u...awa_winter.jpg

... hehe

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2...ge4813705x.jpg

I was too tired that day to watch him buy cookies.

I did buy the same ones just a couple days ago. We call em 'Obama Cookies'. Yum.

Best years of my life were spent in PDX (Portland). I think the thing you have to ask yourself, is what are your interests. If you love art, the outdoors, cycling, beer, food, alternative culture...yeah it's a great place to live. If you cant handle openly gay couples walking hand in hand, transvestites sitting down at your table while you have your coffee, or random crazy homeless guys stopping by to drink beer with you on your porch...well Portland might not be for you. Liberal, Progressive, and very very friendly sums up Portland to me. I lived in the heart of the Hawthorne District for years, and it is a trip. A good trip...

I now live in Austin, which thinks it's a cool city, but it still has a ways to go until it's as cool as Portland.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast