+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Activision/Blizzard Accounts. You now have the facts.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnius View Post
    Came over this very interesting well researched article about subscriptions for WOW, for those saying 12Million ect have a read through this.

However there are some big words and calculations, might need to ask an adult for help.

Enjoy.

http://daeity.blogspot.com/2010/08/b...n-numbers.html
    These "facts" are based completely on assumptions. The article itself states that there are no number for players who have left WoW and instead bases their calculations on an approximate number of "banned" accounts. Who's to say these banned accounts werent trial accounts? That they werent gold farming accounts?

Granted the 12 million number is likely to be inflated, but this article doesnt prove anything. Your condescending statement about asking an adult for help is laughable. Quit being a fanboi and just play what you like. Its not like you're getting a cut of the profits.

Champion of Telara

One of the MMO sub chart puts a 4-5 million drop in WoW when they were not allowed in China, but most charts just ignore the few days Blizzard was apparently out of China. China doesn't have Cataclysm, but they have WotLK so people can still be playing that.

At any rate, WoW's subs are not hard to understand. Let's say I take vanilla WoW and charge 10 cents/month in a populous country (China works, but can easily do it with say India or S. Korea), it'd be pretty trivial to rack up crazy number of subs. This number can then be included in my worldwide sub report, and I am not obliged to tell you whether 90% or 99% of those subs came from a country I'm way undercharging. This is great for marketing since when people read '12 million' they assume that means '12 million guys paying $15/month', not '5 million guys paying $15/month and 7 million guys paying $1/month" and this makes the game appear to be better than it really is. It's really no different compared to the absolutely mind boggling stats you see from F2Ps about 10 or 100 million people have an active account.

The article also states one person could easily have at least 2 accounts doubling the "active" number.

Even if it isn't hitting 11 million in reality we know it's hitting a few million either way. That still is a buttload. Also being lied to about active subscriptions? Does it really matter if there is 11.5 million players playing? I think I had my proof waiting in queue for Blackrock over 3 hours and had to do a server transfer....
    Last edited by Keniption; 02-07-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Tnerb View Post
    These "facts" are based completely on assumptions. The article itself states that there are no number for players who have left WoW and instead bases their calculations on an approximate number of "banned" accounts. Who's to say these banned accounts werent trial accounts? That they werent gold farming accounts?

Granted the 12 million number is likely to be inflated, but this article doesnt prove anything. Your condescending statement about asking an adult for help is laughable. Quit being a fanboi and just play what you like. Its not like you're getting a cut of the profits.
    The facts are there if you take the time to read the whole post, unless of course you call the actual accounting reports along with Blizzards own description of what they class as a subscription not factual??

They are not trial accounts as a trial account does not act as a subscription, again this is according to the facts Blizzard released in that post.

As I said to understand it totally you will need to get an adult to show you or explain what it all means. You have just proven the need for an adult with your comments.

D_B
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tnerb View Post

Speaking of rabid fanboys and girls trying to pick things apart...
    answer my question then... how many copies of WotLK sold? Total? Yeah.
    How many copies of Cataclysm?
    Now... if less than *HALF* of your "active subscribers" were actually up to date with the most recent expansion (and the WotLK numbers showed 4 million American sales when they were bragging 11 million total subscribers, just FYI) would you think that made sense?
    Because that does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
    One of the MMO sub chart puts a 4-5 million drop in WoW when they were not allowed in China, but most charts just ignore the few days Blizzard was apparently out of China. China doesn't have Cataclysm, but they have WotLK so people can still be playing that.
    It was alot longer than a few days, and for awhile it looked like WoW would *NOT* be allowed back in China.
    This was a bigger deal than you paint it to have been, having family in China I got an earful about it weekly for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
    WotLK came out in 2008. That's when Blizzard released the 11.5 million number.
    Chinese WoW went offline in 2009.
    If so, my bad. I remember the commercials were on TV when I was hearing about it from my family, and we talked about how crazy it was... she said the Chinese news claimed over 6 million gamers in China were "suddenly cut off from their MMO" about the time Blizzard claimed 11 million.
    If I got the timing wrong, apologies, but that would still mean for *MONTHS* after the9 servers went dead, Blizzard was claiming 11 million (and then 11.5 million!) without Chinese gamers actually being in the count.

I have seen it broken down where they said "The Chinese don't count at all, they don't purchase packages so they are not 'active subscribers', so the discrepancy is nonexistent." But then you lok at sales of expansions and wonder... 11+ million "active subscribers" and 1/3 of them bought WotLK when it was top tier? That makes even less sense than assuming the Chinese were included in the count, and their expansions are not counted because they are "free".

Either way, when you look at expansion sales... it all falls apart. 12 million is simply not accurate.
    Thank the Trion Dev Team for ignoring this hype and nonsense and not trying to claim "next WoW Killer" or any other such crap. It'd be like taking a car to a test track and attempting to beat a lap record for a car that never existed, and a bunch of made up lap times that "sounded good".

Rift Disciple

Came over this very interesting well researched article about subscriptions for WOW, for those saying 12Million ect have a read through this.

However there are some big words and calculations, might need to ask an adult for help.

Enjoy.

good ****, if only we got WoW for free and only paid the hourly fee might be alot more casual nubs!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I'm curious. Inactive accounts are usually still counted. I had three, but I had them perma-nuke the accounts (wrote to privacy@ asking them to delete all my personal information), so do those three still count, or are they no longer in the number?

In any event, it's pretty clear that 12M means 12M copies sold. (I don't necessarily trust the article's contention that if many people never make it past level 10, that counts against subscribers; I'm guessing those people are mostly trial accounts who never converted.)

Since they released RaF I knew 15 people out of my guild had 2 accounts just for the leveling bonus and reward. Also gold farmers have about 3-5 accounts botting 24/7. So yes player base not 12 mil, But who cares lets play some rift :P

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vihor View Post
    Want more proof?
    Google raid progress and you'll find maybe 1 mil raiders recorded a kill of 1/12 bosses..
    Add another mill for pvp players to that and you can expect a "hardcore" base of 2mil.
    So, WoW has more "hardcore" players than most MMOs have subscribers? You are correct, the sky IS falling. Blizzard should shut down their servers now before they begin to lose money.

Enjoy.

Why are you posting this when it has absolutley NOTHING to do with Rift? Why post it in this forum?

Just another sad bash thread at that 'other game' . Seriously , you people need to get over yourselves or are you
    finding it too challenging to actually discuss this game?

Quote Originally Posted by D_B View Post
    I've been saying it for awhile. The numbers don't add up.
    When you look at how many copies of WotLK sold... it was not anywhere in the ballpark of the 11 million subscriptions they claimed at the time.

Now, Cataclysm is here, and has not sold *HALF* of the 12 million they claim, yet they finally got Warcraft running in China again (that should have added 3-4 million easily), and they claim 12 million now?
    Either they have lost roughly 1/3 of the subscribers they had before... or they are blatantly lying... or a combination of the two.

The whole "12 million" claim is just irrational when you *GLANCE* at actual facts.

Good link. Interesting read. Not surprising, and I am sure fanboys and fangirls will be like rabid dogs to try and pick it apart.
    When in doubt, just look at the expansion sales. How many people will pay $15 a month and *NOT* get the expansion for level cap and content? Yeah... not too many.

hard to believe as it maybe i do know quite a few ppl that recently started playing again that dont have Wrath yet theyre still in BC expac only , granted 2 of em stopped playing again ... but assuming from that knowledge the number of sales of a specific expansion doesnt account for total subscribers
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
    Memory: 10GB
    Graphics:GeForce GTX 580
    Monitor:sanyo 20in hdtv
    Rift Beginners guide Credits to Krinadon

XiL

You people were all ******ed for paying attention to MMOGchart in the first place. If any of you went through the Vanguard Beta process you would have been fully aware that "SirBruce" (yep that crazy raving lunatic on Vanguard development forums) was off his rocker. And who is this SirBruce crazy fellow you ask? He's the person sole responsible for every piece of information posted on MMOGchart.com. This bat**** crazy guy googled his research and his estimates based on "industry information" were all nonsense he pulled from his butt unless a credible source was linked, you cannot believe any of it.

It blows my mind that anyone would believe the nonsense posted on that site. It really does. Market research he said... More like cram a finger up his butt and take a picture of what comes back out with it... Seriously what were you people thinking?

Chinese / Asian players do not pay in the same way for WoW as we do: they pay by the hour.

As WoW is very popular in China and they re-opened their service there recently, it is not hard to believe at all imo.

Sales numbers for the latest expansions by some site (and I find it hard to believe they have solid worldwide data), do not represent the total number of subs. You don't include alternative payment models and non-upgraded accounts.
    Last edited by Fdzzaigl; 02-07-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vihor View Post
    I've been saying this for some time: wow is not as big as the public thinks it is..

You don't need to complicate things and calculate the supscriptions based on earnings..
    Just look at sales figures..

4.7 mil copies of cataclysm sold in 30 days from the launch and that's a record..
    If you didn't get an EXPANSION 30 days into its launch you are bellow "casual"

And add ppl like me who quit after 2.5 years non stop sub and 5 years total.
    And ppl like my friend who bought it, came back, then quit again less than month in..

To be honest cataclysm is a special expansion with redesigned low lvl content..
    So you can add some figures to that of ppl that rerolled and decided to wait with the purchase..

But still far away from 12mil..

Want more proof?
    Google raid progress and you'll find maybe 1 mil raiders recorded a kill of 1/12 bosses..
    Add another mill for pvp players to that and you can expect a "hardcore" base of 2mil.
    With another 1-2mil complaining the game is "too hard"..

Truth hurts..
    It doesn't matter if people are "below casual", if they are raiders, if they have multiple accounts, or if they're even actually playing the game at all. 12 million subscribers means they have 12 million accounts paying them money. I'd venture to say that a large portion of people are casual players or people that come and go but have an active paying subscription most of the months out of the year. Doesn't mean 12 million is a wrong number, it just means that's how many accounts are regularly paying them money, not that there are actually 12 million logging in each day.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 02-07-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGee View Post
    Ya know, I was thinking
    There is your problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast