+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My MMO Manifesto

Plane Walker

Default My MMO Manifesto

Look, if you are going to call yourself NextGenn in a truly competitive market then make sure what you are doing is truly NextGenn. Seriously I am sick and tired of games that come out and all they do is brag about how awesome and unique their game is. Their definition of unique isn't coming from the dictionary I own.

Sorry, but there isn't really anything new and amazing about static quest environments, zombie quest mobs you have to kill with an aggro radius of the sun, or a glorified public quest system. You can't even really go out and explore areas that much with anything that fun to do. The mountains in this game look terrible and like they were created using Realm Crafter 2.0. This is an RPG, but there is no Role Playing happening here, the genre has become stale it seems in the MMORPG. I mean why is it that people just want to grind through all the content carelessly to the end game? The leveling process should be an epic journey and not something to just get through and over with. People are going to look at every single little aspect of your game. They are going to look for things that they haven't seen that is pure eye candy and better yet, things they get to play and interact with. This game Rift offers nothing new, absolutely nothing new. It is a ******ed attrocious attempt at selling people another fantasy game among the hundreds if not thousands we have available right now. Sadly, many of the MMO players out there are suckers, and so they get more of the same players who expect nothing new and just something that offers a better version of an old tired beaten to death system that will hold them over from their main addiction.

Seriously, if you want to survive you have to go above and beyond, and this game does none of that. Your dynamic system is nothing but events on timers with giant spinning discs in the sky that spawn monters with a cool animation. I went in hoping for something new and unique, but apparently Devs just don't get it. The only team I have seen that seems to at least mostly get it is ArenaNet. They are taking things that players hate, and changing that. They are taking the MMO up a notch in a good way. But this game is nothing we haven't seen before.

I mean look, you can change the graphics, but that isn't changing the game. The rift system is nothing really but a new grind system to get gear that will be useless in a few levels and also takes way to long to get. The game is just not fun! It does nothing new, and honestly is just another linear fantasy game with an MMO capability slapped onto it. If you want people to truly play your games you have to look at every little aspect of the game and make it as amazing as possible. You have to go above and beyond what you thought you could do, and then even improve on that. You need particle physics, hell you need to try and make the game look as good as a single player or Co op game or just go home. You need a crafting system that is more then go pick up this boring thing and craft some item that is pure garbage. But crafting as it stands is terrible honestly. The point of these collecting things is cheap, the achievements are a gimic to keep people occupied. I mean honestly is anyone in this industry creative at all when it comes to fantasy MMO's? Quests are just " Hi, I am blablahblah from cheese land, go do x for me" and then you go do it and nothing changes.

Stop selling people what they have already seen, and start seeing the light and trying new things. Hell take risks for once instead of playing it safe! As it stands Trion your game is nothing new, it is a copy of a copy of a copy. Seriously, MMO players have to be some of the biggest suckers on the planet, cause they sure love to take it up the butt. This game is no way offers anything we haven't seen before, and is definitely not worth the $15 a month you are going to charge as a Rip Off fee to play this.

It's sad gamers have sunk to this low, and gaming companies as well. I'd rather play an MMORPG spoof, cause at least that would be a semblance of something new. I mean really this is no better then remixing an old song with a new singer. Lame!
    Last edited by Iluvhybridspecs; 02-07-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added and modified

I think you are misinformed about some things in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvhybridspecs View Post
    Look, if you are going to call yourself NextGenn in a truly competitive market then make sure what you are doing is truly NextGenn. Seriously I am sick and tired of games that come out and all they do is brag about how awesome and unique their game is. Their definition of unique isn't coming from the dictionary I own.
    Yes, "Next-Generation" is a marketing term; it always has been. Like other marketing terms that don't really have any meaning, it's best to just ignore them. No one can really define what a "next-gen MMO" is anyway, so who cares if they call their game that? On the other hand, their servers are truly unique and next-generation in every sense of the word.

This is an RPG, but there is no Role Playing happening here, the genre has become stale it seems in the MMORPG. I mean why is it that people just want to grind through all the content carelessly to the end game? The leveling process should be an epic journey and not something to just get through and over with.
    The environment is there for you if you want to make it a role-playing experience. It's your choice whether or not you fly by the content without any regard for what's going on. Perhaps it isn't the games so much as the culture surrounding them. We're encouraged to get to the level cap as fast as possible, get the best items as fast as possible, and so on. Perhaps you're just suffering from a case of MMO burnout?

People are going to look at every single little aspect of your game. They are going to look for things that they haven't seen that is pure eye candy and better yet, things they get to play and interact with. This game Rift offers nothing new, absolutely nothing new.
    The potential for a truly dynamic world and the soul system are both new. I know I have never seen anything quite like the massive zone invasions in Rift. The soul system opens up so many directions where they can go with dungeon design and based on the depth of the starting dungeons, I'm really excited to see how things are later on.

Seriously, if you want to survive you have to go above and beyond, and this game does none of that. Your dynamic system is nothing but events on timers with giant spinning discs in the sky that spawn monters with a cool animation. I went in hoping for something new and unique, but apparently Devs just don't get it.
    For one thing, the system of rifts and invasions is more than a simple timer. The way the players in the game react to them has a direct effect on how they evolve and play out. Also, GMs have the ability to set off events. The rifts and invasions that we're seeing in beta barely scrape the surface of what this game has in store for us.

You need particle physics, hell you need to try and make the game look as good as a single player or Co op game or just go home.
    You can't make an MMO that looks as good as single player games because MMOs seek to attract a wider range of players and the game needs to be able to run on older systems.

Stop selling people what they have already seen, and start seeing the light and trying new things. Hell take risks for once instead of playing it safe!
    I wouldn't call investing tens of millions of dollars on a brand new server architecture playing it safe. Up until now, the genre has really been held back by the performance of servers. Taking WoW for instance, almost every time there was a worldwide event the servers would crash. And if they didn't crash, the game became so laggy to the point of being unplayable.

What some people don't seem to understand is that you need to have the core game in place first before you can start doing the really cool stuff. Sure, that basic core is going to be pretty much the same as many other games before it. Even with it only being beta, we are seeing some pretty cool stuff being done with their new technology. If you don't like it, that's one thing. However, it's simply wrong to say that Trion hasn't taken any risks with this game or that there isn't anything new and unique in Rift. There is and we've only seen a fraction of what they have to offer. Trust me on this. If they fail to deliver it will be because of some mistake they make in the future, but NOT because of anything they've done up until now. So far they're doing everything right.

+ Reply to Thread