Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Why I never...........

  1. #31
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    [QUOTE=mtc;864675]This post will contain a lot of comparisons with wow and that is mainly because wow is the only mmo I have ever played over 2 months without quitting. I have tried WAR,EQ,EQ2,Matrix,GW,Galaxies(only one that I really enjoyed of this list.) Wow is also the mmo that did it best. Argue with that if you want but every game design company is a business and a business has a goal to make money. Making the most money with this definition means success. This works with any business(you may hate Lady Gaga's music but damn she is a success).



    While overall I did enjoy my experience on this game, I do worry about end game. To all the wow haters say what you want the game was a huge success and even if every player left quit today, it was still a huge success. Being the dominate mmo for 7 years says a lot. To anyone who doubts the 12 million and the false information seen in here, from blizzard it is "12 million active subscribers", that means people that pay monthly. To the argument that it is inflated by Asia...where to start with this one? Okay let's say you are right and it is inflated with Chinese gold farmers. It takes a very popular game to have a 3rd party company be able to sell an in-game currency and make a constant profit. Wonder why they pick wow, you can farm gold in any game but WoW is the most picked because it is the most profitable. 12 million is a lot. Even if its not 12 million, 5 million is a lot also. The average mmo probably doesn't break a million for a large period(let's say a year) of time. Because everything I said has some logic with it but it is positive words about wow I will be considered a troll. I'll admit I loved wow and had a ton of fun with it. No mmo has done that job yet, and even rift made me feel mixed after words.

    Skip to here if you want to not read about wow.


    Please link the subscription confirmation, Blizzard state 12million have tryed or experienced WOW not 12 million active subscriptions.
    if thats the case of 12million why not closer to 12million sales of CATA?

  2. #32
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtc View Post
    This post will contain a lot of comparisons with wow and that is mainly because wow is the only mmo I have ever played over 2 months without quitting. I have tried WAR,EQ,EQ2,Matrix,GW,Galaxies(only one that I really enjoyed of this list.) Wow is also the mmo that did it best. Argue with that if you want but every game design company is a business and a business has a goal to make money. Making the most money with this definition means success. This works with any business(you may hate Lady Gaga's music but damn she is a success).



    While overall I did enjoy my experience on this game, I do worry about end game. To all the wow haters say what you want the game was a huge success and even if every player left quit today, it was still a huge success. Being the dominate mmo for 7 years says a lot. To anyone who doubts the 12 million and the false information seen in here, from blizzard it is "12 million active subscribers", that means people that pay monthly. To the argument that it is inflated by Asia...where to start with this one? Okay let's say you are right and it is inflated with Chinese gold farmers. It takes a very popular game to have a 3rd party company be able to sell an in-game currency and make a constant profit. Wonder why they pick wow, you can farm gold in any game but WoW is the most picked because it is the most profitable. 12 million is a lot. Even if its not 12 million, 5 million is a lot also. The average mmo probably doesn't break a million for a large period(let's say a year) of time. Because everything I said has some logic with it but it is positive words about wow I will be considered a troll. I'll admit I loved wow and had a ton of fun with it. No mmo has done that job yet, and even rift made me feel mixed after words.

    Skip to here if you want to not read about wow.


    On to the real subject which is rift. Yes it takes a lot of ideas from other mmos but the interface is not original what so ever. The looting system, the ui, the bag system and could go on is identical to wow. This doesn't really mean a lot to me but it is something I wonder about. You can say wow stole those from other games, might have but wow made it more popular than any other game to date. The real reason I feel I did enjoy the game as much as possible was the art, the graphics are awesome but the art was lacking so much I could not get into it. Everything felt choppy or fake. In wow the graphics are terrible, but the art is absolutely amazing(this does not make a game entirely either, minecraft anyone?). The horses look like the are running/sliding across the grass. The armor is so bland, and the terrain is even more empty in a lot of locations. I like my armor to look cool(so sad I know but pixels make me feel good). Granted, I only leveled to 25 on 2 characters but I feel early game material should be top notch, this is what gets players to play the game. I also love the class idea its awesome there are so many choices, but then you realize that only 4 or 5 of the 8 subclasses are viable. The rest just suck and you will completely destroyed if you choose the wrong classes. This brings in another problem how do you balance 32 talent trees, no one wants to play a game that is not balanced, it is not fun. This over all was my worst problem with the game. I tried chloro healing on my mage and just could not keep up, I tried tanking on my rogue and it was no where near as good as a warrior could do. I had 2 subclasses that were all avoidance, endurance specced on my rogue and I just would get rocked sometimes.

    TL DR version - This game is fun but needs a ton of work. Wow was fun and a good game as well.


    1) Have you seen any crafted or end game armor? So you're basing your experience in a BETA where we're not playing END GAME yet to see how they do the armor designs?!?! I've bought crafted pieces from the broker and they do have unique graphics. I've seen people in instanced gear with unique graphics as well. Assume much?!?!

    2) You mention Balance, do you remember when Fury Warriors were running around DESTROYING any and everyone in sight?!?! Or when Rogues were stun locking people to death....oh wait.. It was "balanced" in due time right?!?! No game is PERFECTLY balanced, not one! Things take time, you mention your previous MMO experience and didn't play any one except WoW for over a 2 month period so is it safe to say that you only really know WoW and nothing else?!?!? How can you site here and judge this game when A it's in beta and B you only really know WoW.

    3) In the end Rift will be Rift. What becomes of it depends on Trion and more so the player base. If we have people that want a good game hopefully they will report any imbalances, wrong doings, etc.
    Zeratul - 50 Rank 6 Rogue/Zeratulz 4x Mage - Seastone Defiant - Rift

    DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion
    Zeratul/Zeratulz/Zeratuls

  3. #33
    Plane Touched Koralium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timothymcgee View Post
    just going to point out that blizzard never deletes a account once its made, even if you cancle for 5 years its still there, and they count those account towards there "12 million" so think of the people that have quit or have more than one account to them selves. 12 mill more like 6-8 mill if that
    False, they claim 12 million active subscribers. They claim a MUCH larger number for total subs since release.. (it's absurdly high iirc)
    Remember though, they hovered around 11.5 from 2008 until December 25 2010 (around there) so they were stagnant for quite some time. Cata gave them a shot in the arm. but from what i hear it won't be enough to save their sinking ship at this point
    Faemist - Defiant

    Koralium - Warrior [Tank]
    Korial - Cleric [Heal/Tank]

    When i realized RIFT had AoE looting. i immediatly pre-ordered the game. The simplest features can be the most impactful.

  4. #34
    Soulwalker Malcolm Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wracu View Post
    I have a suspicion you are correct. Too many irrational haters out there to seem believable. I will say - fix/focus on open world pvp or I will join their ranks!!!
    i toatally agree with you what's the difference between a pvp shard and a pve shard if the factions can go at it any time without even being flagged on the pve realm. The reason most people chose pve is because they don't want some arrogant dude coming up and killing them while their questing.

  5. #35
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timothymcgee View Post
    just going to point out that blizzard never deletes a account once its made, even if you cancle for 5 years its still there, and they count those account towards there "12 million" so think of the people that have quit or have more than one account to them selves. 12 mill more like 6-8 mill if that
    think about the gold farmers accounts lol

  6. #36
    Rift Disciple Stoutcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    So.California
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dranzen View Post
    Much like the Warcraft forums have been hit hard with subversive forum trolls for Rift?

    In the end all companies do the same, creating campaigns to usurp the other.

    If people are enjoying Rift Beta, which I have to say has been very polished and eventful, then they will stay.
    You can't prove anything.

    /runs away
    PSO-Hulksmash,EQ1-Graebow Seventh Hammer,WOW-Unsubbed

  7. #37
    Soulwalker Malcolm Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeratulz View Post
    1) Have you seen any crafted or end game armor? So you're basing your experience in a BETA where we're not playing END GAME yet to see how they do the armor designs?!?! I've bought crafted pieces from the broker and they do have unique graphics. I've seen people in instanced gear with unique graphics as well. Assume much?!?!

    2) You mention Balance, do you remember when Fury Warriors were running around DESTROYING any and everyone in sight?!?! Or when Rogues were stun locking people to death....oh wait.. It was "balanced" in due time right?!?! No game is PERFECTLY balanced, not one! Things take time, you mention your previous MMO experience and didn't play any one except WoW for over a 2 month period so is it safe to say that you only really know WoW and nothing else?!?!? How can you site here and judge this game when A it's in beta and B you only really know WoW.

    3) In the end Rift will be Rift. What becomes of it depends on Trion and more so the player base. If we have people that want a good game hopefully they will report any imbalances, wrong doings, etc.
    Lol Amen I played wow for like 2 years and i think this game is better one because the graphics are awesome two your quest are in one location and not spastic across the land and three the character customization is above par. Also alot of people are critising this game that is still in beta and comparing it to a game that has been online for some time now. If you think about the beta version is almost just as good as wow in its "un beta" version. I love this game and when it comes out I'm giving up WoW for sure just saying.

  8. #38
    Telaran Shaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Man, I have to raid in WoW tonight, and I really don't want to.

    RIFT PLEASE OPEN BACK UP.

    /begs
    SHAA
    Laethys | Cleric

  9. #39
    Soulwalker DroolingTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenite View Post
    It's funny on the WoW forums the fanboys jump on anything having to do with Rift, while a lot of people are leaving to come here. Me, my girlfriend and a few guildies have already canceled WoW accounts.

    Fact is Trion has a real chance here to make head room in the market. Over the last few weeks their has been a huge amount of unrest in the WoW community over Cataclysm and Blizzards attitude towards players. Lot's of people quitting and I'm sure Trion would love to convert them over.

    Amen.

    I have a few WoW accounts. Yes, I am ashamed. No, I only have one 'working' one right now. The extras are from Recruit/Refer A Friend out of sheer boredom. I always find myself going back to it because I allowed a part of myself to become addicted to the....ummm....*tongue-in cheek*...I forgot. I used to sound like the 'fanbois' back in the mid stages of betas (earlier beta times I wasn't playing WoW yet) and defend that damn game like crazy. Then I played it more....and more....you get the picture. Now it all just makes me grit my teeth. Maybe because my husband 'defends' it at times with such gusto I just want to choke his other-wise-loving heart right out of him lol. It is actually sad but some comparisons are understandable...maybe.

    Open minds ftw! Keep it up Trion as you're doing a great job and those who will stand by you and any other company that has dreams of making a great game are glad to have ya.

  10. #40
    Rift Disciple Rehn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Faeblight
    Posts
    164

    Default

    i played WoW one month after launch and my account is still there i can log on to it if i paid to do it I AM 1 of twelve million and been retired 7 years *flex*
    Riftdrawl- The feeling millions of people get when not being able to play the game rift.
    Random says: Chad lets go!, rift is not gonna be up for two more days.
    Chad Says: NO!! What if they put the servers up early?!
    Random Says: Your going through riftdrawls man! snap out of it!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts