Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why I never...........

Quote Originally Posted by Zeratulz View Post
    It's sad what WoW has done to the MMO Industry. You get these kids that come here and think WoW is the Jesus of MMO's. I do not deny WoWs big numbers. I played WoW since the original beta and 2 years after that but I quit cause it became corny and dull. I laugh when I hear WoW this and WoW that as WoW "borrowed" things from previous MMO's but that can't be true cause WoW was the first MMO right guys?!?!?!?

Anyway from DAOC to WoW to EQ to WAR to AoC to Aion and now Rift I can say ALL MMO's "borrow" something from previous MMO's, all the WoW kids need to ****.
    QFT. You know that your doing something right when the forums get trolled. It means people are getting nervous, not that wow will die by any means. It makes me laugh when people make new accounts to troll and say that this game will fail or what have you, when they don't realize that by having another game out there and having more competition, it's the best thing that can happen to a game. WoW has been virtually untouched as of late, and some healthy competition will do the mmo industry some good.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

Shadowlander

Also got to add in that WOW have held 12 million subs for the last few years, meaning they are stagnating and cant attract more players.

When Rift and SWTOR comes online expect WOW subs to drop by alot, and when that happens if they are unable to expand their subs over the last few years how they going to do it then??

Rift will do well, it wont get 12 million subs but it will hold its own, and if it does Im more than happy.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnius View Post
    Also got to add in that WOW have held 12 million subs for the last few years, meaning they are stagnating and cant attract more players.

When Rift and SWTOR comes online expect WOW subs to drop by alot, and when that happens if they are unable to expand their subs over the last few years how they going to do it then??

Rift will do well, it wont get 12 million subs but it will hold its own, and if it does Im more than happy.....
    WoW counts my account as one of their 12 million. I haven't played in close to 2 years.
    Last edited by Trion_Community; 02-07-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Reply to a post that was removed

Shadowlander

There seems to be an equal amount of posts mentioning why we shouldn't be mentioning WoW.

If you ignore them, they will go away. It doesn't bother me at all because I didn't play WoW for even a whole month, so they can stick with the game they love and I will keep searching for my DAoC replacement....

It's so redundant to make posts saying to not discuss WoW, or who cares about WoW.

Whenever you get an itch to respond to WoW lovers, just remember 1 phrase,

"Don't feed the trolls."

They will die out eventually and the people that like the game will be left, same thing happened with Aion, and every other new MMO....

Plane Walker

I'm finding that the major portion of anti-Rift PR appears to be coming from serious WoW players. Just about everyone else seems to really like the game in general, but hard-core WoW players are upset that it does thing differently.

It's funny on the WoW forums the fanboys jump on anything having to do with Rift, while a lot of people are leaving to come here. Me, my girlfriend and a few guildies have already canceled WoW accounts.

Fact is Trion has a real chance here to make head room in the market. Over the last few weeks their has been a huge amount of unrest in the WoW community over Cataclysm and Blizzards attitude towards players. Lot's of people quitting and I'm sure Trion would love to convert them over.

Rift Disciple

This thread is so full of win. I knew such a catchy title will bring in the masses. Need MOAR Posts!!!
    Zeratul - 50 Rank 6 Rogue/Zeratulz 4x Mage - Seastone Defiant - Rift

DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion
    Zeratul/Zeratulz/Zeratuls

Quote Originally Posted by winterfall View Post
    I think some of the people who are really dedicated to WoW are feeling a bit threatened. Some have issues because a lot of their guild is leaving and they don't have the money to follow. I also wouldn't put it past Activision to have paid trolls.
    Much like the Warcraft forums have been hit hard with subversive forum trolls for Rift?

In the end all companies do the same, creating campaigns to usurp the other.

If people are enjoying Rift Beta, which I have to say has been very polished and eventful, then they will stay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dranzen View Post
    Much like the Warcraft forums have been hit hard with subversive forum trolls for Rift?

In the end all companies do the same, creating campaigns to usurp the other.

If people are enjoying Rift Beta, which I have to say has been very polished and eventful, then they will stay.
    I can deny or confirm that I have been causing some issues on the WoW forums.

mtc
    Soulwalker

This post will contain a lot of comparisons with wow and that is mainly because wow is the only mmo I have ever played over 2 months without quitting. I have tried WAR,EQ,EQ2,Matrix,GW,Galaxies(only one that I really enjoyed of this list.) Wow is also the mmo that did it best. Argue with that if you want but every game design company is a business and a business has a goal to make money. Making the most money with this definition means success. This works with any business(you may hate Lady Gaga's music but damn she is a success).

While overall I did enjoy my experience on this game, I do worry about end game. To all the wow haters say what you want the game was a huge success and even if every player left quit today, it was still a huge success. Being the dominate mmo for 7 years says a lot. To anyone who doubts the 12 million and the false information seen in here, from blizzard it is "12 million active subscribers", that means people that pay monthly. To the argument that it is inflated by Asia...where to start with this one? Okay let's say you are right and it is inflated with Chinese gold farmers. It takes a very popular game to have a 3rd party company be able to sell an in-game currency and make a constant profit. Wonder why they pick wow, you can farm gold in any game but WoW is the most picked because it is the most profitable. 12 million is a lot. Even if its not 12 million, 5 million is a lot also. The average mmo probably doesn't break a million for a large period(let's say a year) of time. Because everything I said has some logic with it but it is positive words about wow I will be considered a troll. I'll admit I loved wow and had a ton of fun with it. No mmo has done that job yet, and even rift made me feel mixed after words.

Skip to here if you want to not read about wow.

On to the real subject which is rift. Yes it takes a lot of ideas from other mmos but the interface is not original what so ever. The looting system, the ui, the bag system and could go on is identical to wow. This doesn't really mean a lot to me but it is something I wonder about. You can say wow stole those from other games, might have but wow made it more popular than any other game to date. The real reason I feel I did enjoy the game as much as possible was the art, the graphics are awesome but the art was lacking so much I could not get into it. Everything felt choppy or fake. In wow the graphics are terrible, but the art is absolutely amazing(this does not make a game entirely either, minecraft anyone?). The horses look like the are running/sliding across the grass. The armor is so bland, and the terrain is even more empty in a lot of locations. I like my armor to look cool(so sad I know but pixels make me feel good). Granted, I only leveled to 25 on 2 characters but I feel early game material should be top notch, this is what gets players to play the game. I also love the class idea its awesome there are so many choices, but then you realize that only 4 or 5 of the 8 subclasses are viable. The rest just suck and you will completely destroyed if you choose the wrong classes. This brings in another problem how do you balance 32 talent trees, no one wants to play a game that is not balanced, it is not fun. This over all was my worst problem with the game. I tried chloro healing on my mage and just could not keep up, I tried tanking on my rogue and it was no where near as good as a warrior could do. I had 2 subclasses that were all avoidance, endurance specced on my rogue and I just would get rocked sometimes.

TL DR version - This game is fun but needs a ton of work. Wow was fun and a good game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I can deny or confirm that I have been causing some issues on the WoW forums.
    Anyway no1 can troll more blizz forum then blizz's devs.

Quote Originally Posted by winterfall View Post
    I think some of the people who are really dedicated to WoW are feeling a bit threatened. Some have issues because a lot of their guild is leaving and they don't have the money to follow. I also wouldn't put it past Activision to have paid trolls.
    because the MMOscene is such a dirty industry
    but really. That makes sense, I keep hearing about groups of people transferring over or canceling their WoW accounts to try this out..same for FFXIV (before it failed) and SWTOR when that hits (but i fear it will not be as good as the hype)

What's working for Rift is the fact that the people playing the Beta are telling/showing their friends and hyping it to people who will listen.. It's hype isn't planned or intentional (maybe a little). This has people on other forums talking about it and speaking good about it too.. which will eventually bleed into WoW forums and then they deal with what we deal with. Mindless trolls who have no rhyme or reason to what they are saying except to protect their game of choice.
    Faemist - Defiant

Koralium - Warrior [Tank]
    Korial - Cleric [Heal/Tank]

When i realized RIFT had AoE looting. i immediatly pre-ordered the game. The simplest features can be the most impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by VisceralMonkey View Post
    I'm finding that the major portion of anti-Rift PR appears to be coming from serious WoW players. Just about everyone else seems to really like the game in general, but hard-core WoW players are upset that it does thing differently.
    I like the game - but doing things different than WoW? Rofl, no. If anything, the gripe is coming from non-WoW players who want to get away from the WoW-esque type MMO and structure
    Last edited by Esaru; 02-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Death to the heretics!

I know i'm being nitpicky and all. but someone said the loot system in rift is identical to WoW. Sir you could not be farther from the truth with that statement. WoW doesn't have AoE looting. That in-and-of-itself seperates at least one minor but key feature from WoW. AoE looting is a brilliant feature that I've been wanting since i played Ragnarok Online. This game needs work. but damn, look at WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, they all need work, it's why they get constant patches and hotfixes.
    Faemist - Defiant

Koralium - Warrior [Tank]
    Korial - Cleric [Heal/Tank]

When i realized RIFT had AoE looting. i immediatly pre-ordered the game. The simplest features can be the most impactful.

just going to point out that blizzard never deletes a account once its made, even if you cancle for 5 years its still there, and they count those account towards there "12 million" so think of the people that have quit or have more than one account to them selves. 12 mill more like 6-8 mill if that

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast