+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 'wow pkayer' is the new 'noob' ?

Default 'wow pkayer' is the new 'noob' ?

wth is with all the wow hatred?

I see a lot of people whining about 'wow players' and telling them to 'go back to wow' or whatever, but the actual amount of trolling by wow fan boys I've read in game over the beta weekend? um, like 2 people maybe?

All the wow bashing just seems like people trying impress each other. It's like they think saying people who like wow are morons makes them better players.

I'm reminded of hipsters insulting each other over embarrassing cds in each other's record collection. As if they never liked the backstreet boys or the spice girls when they were 12. Hint: no one believes you when you say your first album was the velvet underground when you were 6, and no one believes it when you say you *never* liked wow.

Let's face it - a huge percentage of us have had a wow account at some point in the last 5 years and enjoyed it (for however long).

Personally I am really excited about Rift and the beta has been fantastic. I haven't been so excited about a new MMO in forever! But I also play wow, like I'm guessing a lot of people reading this do. It's odd how the rift community is so friendly about everything except that. I feel like a social pariah? I've played it for years and my guildies are some of my best friends. I don't think wow is better then rift - it's the friends that keep me playing it.

I don't really understand why fanboys (wow or rift) insist on comparing the games. They are over six years apart. Wow launched in 2004. Thats a looong time in computer game years.

I guess what i mean is - look at us! We rp as elves or dwarfs and kill fantasy creatures in our spare time, and take it Very. Seriously. We are all Huge Nerds. None of us were cool when we were 6, and some of us still listen to the spice girls. Bashing on wow players doesn't make you cool, ppl irl will still beat you up and take your lunch money. They think we are all as dorky and lame as each other - because we are!

EMBRACE YOUR FELLOW MMORPG DORKS!

I just have a lot of feelings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFT35S7Jb4

When I was 12 I was listening to Duran Duran. I do own a Velvet Underground album though. But not a Spice Girls one. I was too old for them when they hit the big time.

Default wow pkayer

its quite simple really,

wow was a really good game, the wow community was not, wow players felt the need to be elitist, superior to everyone else,greedy,selfish, and all in all rude to other players especially when the LFD tool was put in, wow players do not have a sense of accountability or play nice that is present in other games.

BTW this is a generalization don't get me wrong I have and made a LOT of friends in wow but there was thousands of players who represented this atitude, and every time we see one of these demons rear their ugly head all we want to do is cut it off, aka ppl asking for easymode, ppl asking for lfd tools etc etc
    <a href=http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=76640&dateline=1296504039 target=_blank>http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php...ine=1296504039</a>
    A true pvp'er DOESN'T whine when he gets beat he learns to play then goes back and finds that guy that beat him and fights him again and again and again and again until he wins.....DO this and ill support pvp, as long as you just come here and whine I wont

Quote Originally Posted by pigeons View Post
    wth is with all the wow hatred?

I see a lot of people whining about 'wow players' and telling them to 'go back to wow' or whatever, but the actual amount of trolling by wow fan boys I've read in game over the beta weekend? um, like 2 people maybe?

All the wow bashing just seems like people trying impress each other. It's like they think saying people who like wow are morons makes them better players.

I'm reminded of hipsters insulting each other over embarrassing cds in each other's record collection. As if they never liked the backstreet boys or the spice girls when they were 12. Hint: no one believes you when you say your first album was the velvet underground when you were 6, and no one believes it when you say you *never* liked wow.

Let's face it - a huge percentage of us have had a wow account at some point in the last 5 years and enjoyed it (for however long).

Personally I am really excited about Rift and the beta has been fantastic. I haven't been so excited about a new MMO in forever! But I also play wow, like I'm guessing a lot of people reading this do. It's odd how the rift community is so friendly about everything except that. I feel like a social pariah? I've played it for years and my guildies are some of my best friends. I don't think wow is better then rift - it's the friends that keep me playing it.

I don't really understand why fanboys (wow or rift) insist on comparing the games. They are over six years apart. Wow launched in 2004. Thats a looong time in computer game years.

I guess what i mean is - look at us! We rp as elves or dwarfs and kill fantasy creatures in our spare time, and take it Very. Seriously. We are all Huge Nerds. None of us were cool when we were 6, and some of us still listen to the spice girls. Bashing on wow players doesn't make you cool, ppl irl will still beat you up and take your lunch money. They think we are all as dorky and lame as each other - because we are!

EMBRACE YOUR FELLOW MMORPG DORKS!

I just have a lot of feelings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFT35S7Jb4

TL;DR

j/k

Most people are just trolling.

Ascendant

It is generally the WoW crowd that trolls the forum. Plus I blame WoW for noobiying the MMORPG genre.
    Last edited by winterfall; 02-07-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Plane Walker

WoW definitely exposed the younger generation to MMO's

most of the people i play games with today there first mmo was WoW. And trust me there expectation and lack of patience shows it.

i dislike the label. If your bad your bad. Lets stick to words that work, calling someone a wow kiddie or some other term just seems like lack of vocabulary.
    Last edited by Deadperson; 02-07-2011 at 07:26 AM.
    HERE HAVE SOME FUN DIP!!

Rift Chaser

It's not "People who have played WoW".. I think most of us have. I know I have. It's "WoW Players", which is different.

The people who have a negative impact on the game are people who primarily/only play WoW and want every game to be like it. They are people who are used to the non-challenge of many aspects of WoW and want that imported into other games to make them "less hard". They are people who love convenience over quality and are afraid to learn anything new. Most of all, they are people who think proving they are the "best" or maximizing their numbers is more important than having fun and having a good community - people who help each other, don't try to screw each other over, and just want to play to play, not to compete.

You can be a person who has played WoW and not be a moron. But if you display the above traits, you are probably a WoW player - and many of us who wat Rift to be a good game with a good community take exception to that sort of player.

I am 38 years of age and i have been playing MMO's since Anarchy Online (2001).. I like the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls, though i admit i never listen to them anymore.. However, as for World of Warcraft - that is the one and only MMO that i have never liked, mainly because of the graphics and the fact that the player base is alot younger than i am and the fact that the "Warcraft brand" never did it for me.. I am more of a Diablo kinda guy and Starcraft.

However, despite the fact that i find "WoW" laughable in graphics and it doesn't interest me at all - i never go rant on people nor do i talk down to those who like the game. Thing is, many WoW players keep comparing ALL other MMOs to WoW - even though many MMO's aspects was "stolen" to make WoW - not the other way around.. WoW players always come and tell us "Hey, thats just like WoW, they stole it etc.. " See, Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot were some of the first ones (Ultime Online too) that made the MMO genre what it is today, WoW didnt do it.. But WoW gave the industry some serious headaches and Trion Worlds are doing the best job to give us something solid, fun and beautiful.

What i am trying to say is, quit comparing every product to WoW like it is the "only way to make an MMO". Heck! If you love WoW, play it - if you like Rift more, play that.. But if you ask me with my almost 10 years in MMO's, Rift is without doubt one of the best MMO's that we have seen in many years - it will get its share of the market and WoW will keep theirs. Noone is going to come and "steal your precious WoW" and you (the WoW players) are more than welcome among the "rest of us" in RIft..

Some like Pizza, some like pasta and some like pasta on top of their pizza - Let's just get over it and get some hours running ingame, where it all matters - I mean, its not like i can tell if someone is a WoW player and vice versa when we fight alongside, now is it?..

*Peace" my fellow MMO players - in whatever MMO your hearts may belong ..
    Last edited by Nexcin; 02-07-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Aeon Knights are currently recruiting all Guardian classes - Contact Nerie on Steampike shard if you need a new casual & friendly home.

Banned

If you only saw 2 people from WoW starting conversations in general chat then I need to transfer
    to your server.

Ever other word on my server and few others in that lowbie chat was WoW this or WoW that. Just
    consider yourself luckey then for not ending up on that server.

I come from Aion, but you do not see me talking about it constantly Even the EQ and War guys
    have been really silent. The WoW playerbase insist on being vocal for some reason.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Katnip View Post
    its quite simple really,

wow was a really good game, the wow community was not, wow players felt the need to be elitist, superior to everyone else,greedy,selfish, and all in all rude to other players especially when the LFD tool was put in, wow players do not have a sense of accountability or play nice that is present in other games.

BTW this is a generalization don't get me wrong I have and made a LOT of friends in wow but there was thousands of players who represented this atitude, and every time we see one of these demons rear their ugly head all we want to do is cut it off, aka ppl asking for easymode, ppl asking for lfd tools etc etc
    Alright, this needs to stop. I'm sorry, but this is ignorance. Pure and utter ignorance.

To be honest, truly honest, I've seen worse trolls and worse communities than WoW. AoC had a terrible community, so did EQ, so did SWG, so did Aion, so did WH. Hell, EVERY MMO community was bad. WoW did not create "bad communities". There has always been bad communities and to blame it all on WoW is ignorant and being as bad as the "WoW noobs".

It is generally the WoW crowd that trolls the forum. Plus I blame WoW for noobiying the MMORPG genre.
    You're wrong, don't mind me saying it, but you are.

WoW didn't "noobify" the MMORPG genre, it's the current generation of gamers. Gaming has become huge in the last 15 years. Especially in the last 10. There are more and more people playing games, and I can say atleast 90% of the the last three generations has played a game for a while in their life and enjoyed it.

Games have become a past time now for many people, and because of that, the target audience has changed immensely. The gaming industry is no longer pandering for the "hardcore" gamers. They have a new influx of players, casual players. Casual does not mean bad, as many people like to state these days, but people with less time on their hands.

WoW wasn't the first gaming industry to pander for the casuals. There have been many, many, many industries that have been doing this, especially in the RPG industry. For example, why has Final Fantasy become an action game, instead of a turn based RPG? It's lost it's focus on the story and music and turn based system, to become a button bashing, mindless graphical marvel.

Is this noobifying? Who do I blame for that? Do I blame WoW too? Do I blame Square Enix?

No, I blame the new generations of players.

So please. We will never return to the old days of EQ1, and Lineage 2 grindfests, with god-knows-how-many-man raids, where you have to raid hardcore to achieve high end results. That is gone. Zilch. Zero. Never to return. So get that out of your head, and just enjoy what MMO's have become. Or stop playing them.

/rant off.

TLR: WoW isn't the thing that "noobified" MMORPG's. It's the current generation of gamers. Stop living in the past and move on, cause you're only being left behind.

Wow is easy mode. Simple. Wish we could go back to DAOC where it was easily a 30 minute-40 minute walk to do an instance.

Soulwalker

I smiled when I saw "mmo veteran" in the topic then finding out he's first mmo was WoW. (not this topic, atleast the first mmo in the string of mmo's he wrote)

Needless to say WoW players are still players like the rest so it's fair game to start over in Rift.

Perhaps old gamers should tone down their feeling on mmo's and WoW players should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormweaver View Post
    I smiled when I saw "mmo veteran" in the topic then finding out he's first mmo was WoW. (not this topic, atleast the first mmo in the string of mmo's he wrote)

Needless to say WoW players are still players like the rest so it's fair game to start over in Rift.

Perhaps old gamers should tone down their feeling on mmo's and WoW players should do the same.
    I'll point out that the poster in question (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea......My-Opinions) also gave Rift a lot of praise. Just because a person is familiar with WoW doesn't mean they'll dislike Rift.

The main problem I can see on these boards is the Rift fans can't stand when someone says they are less than pleased with the game.

Default Lots of MMO's

Well personally I feel that we all need to just get along and try to make the community for Rift better and set a new tone. I played EQ for many years, Final Fantasy XI, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Guild Wars and many others. I have also been playing wow since 12-29-04 now does that make me a bad MMOer? I don't think so.... I liked the game I played it, and now I'm ready to move on like I have with most other MMO's now if people want to troll and act like idiots I don't care what game you come from you need to shut it.

But think of this, WoW has the largest player base of ANY MMO around, so don't you think you would hear more from those people than any other? I'm not advocating people being morons just sayin...

So lets make this community better TOGETHER
    No matter what MMO you come from once Rift drops and you play it, I'll consider you a friend of the game.

Telaran

This was all i got from your ramble
    I like the backstreet boys and the spice girls and im 12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast