+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 'wow pkayer' is the new 'noob' ?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Oktai View Post
    TBH, all these MMO noobs are just that. Noobs.

I mean, playing games on a screen? Pressing buttons? LOL. How easy it is for them, and they complain!

I remember when we used to sit down at a table, and roll a dice, with stacks of paper surrounding us and on it, our characters background, personality, their clothing they wear, their equipment from rations to simple camp items! We had to roleplay our way through these games, where we had full control of what we did! We had to work as a team! Our loot wasn't of epic quality! We got a few items of quality. Nothing that made us amazing! And nothing was the same! We had to WORK to progress!

And these MMORPG noobs complain about pressing buttons! Lol.

MMO's have noobified RPGs.

/sarcasm off.

This is how the majority of people bashing WoW-"*****" sound. Just thought I'd let you know.
    And latter-day P&P RPGs have noobified RPGs! I remember when we played OD&D, an incomprehensible mishmash of arbitrary rules playtested by a chimpanzee--an angry chimpanzee who hates players. You were a fighter or an elf (I guess all elves have the same job or something) with a random number of hit points and you liked it!

Imagine logging in to your 1st-level mage, casting a spell at a mob, and being done for the day!

Shadowlander

Go back to WoW

Seriously, some things these days are pretty pathetic, I've been revisiting LOTRO a bit lately and all the F2P new players are so funny considering the game has been so simplified even in a few years since release.

Was just thinking of the button pushing being a chore comment, was some guy screaming in chat if there was a way to make a shortcut to dismounting your horse, as if clicking on the dismount button with the mouse was work to begin with :P

Rift Disciple

There is also the fact that geeks tend to get defensive when something they like goes "mainstream".

"MMOs were our property dammit, and now look at all these whipper-snappers running around!"
    Last edited by Peetzaguy; 02-07-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    And latter-day P&P RPGs have noobified RPGs! I remember when we played OD&D, an incomprehensible mishmash of arbitrary rules playtested by a chimpanzee--an angry chimpanzee who hates players. You were a fighter or an elf (I guess all elves have the same job or something) with a random number of hit points and you liked it!

Imagine logging in to your 1st-level mage, casting a spell at a mob, and being done for the day!
    I know! Tell me about it!

These noobs don't know how lucky they are!

Jesting aside. I'd just like to bring my old post back to the fore front, because it was at the end of a page, and so people missed it no doubt.

Alright, this needs to stop. I'm sorry, but this is ignorance. Pure and utter ignorance.

To be honest, truly honest, I've seen worse trolls and worse communities than WoW. AoC had a terrible community, so did EQ, so did SWG, so did Aion, so did WH. Hell, EVERY MMO community was bad. WoW did not create "bad communities". There has always been bad communities and to blame it all on WoW is ignorant and being as bad as the "WoW noobs".

You're wrong, don't mind me saying it, but you are.

WoW didn't "noobify" the MMORPG genre, it's the current generation of gamers. Gaming has become huge in the last 15 years. Especially in the last 10. There are more and more people playing games, and I can say atleast 90% of the the last three generations has played a game for a while in their life and enjoyed it.

Games have become a past time now for many people, and because of that, the target audience has changed immensely. The gaming industry is no longer pandering for the "hardcore" gamers. They have a new influx of players, casual players. Casual does not mean bad, as many people like to state these days, but people with less time on their hands.

WoW wasn't the first gaming industry to pander for the casuals. There have been many, many, many industries that have been doing this, especially in the RPG industry. For example, why has Final Fantasy become an action game, instead of a turn based RPG? It's lost it's focus on the story and music and turn based system, to become a button bashing, mindless graphical marvel.

Is this noobifying? Who do I blame for that? Do I blame WoW too? Do I blame Square Enix?

No, I blame the new generations of players.

So please. We will never return to the old days of EQ1, and Lineage 2 grindfests, with god-knows-how-many-man raids, where you have to raid hardcore to achieve high end results. That is gone. Zilch. Zero. Never to return. So get that out of your head, and just enjoy what MMO's have become. Or stop playing them.

/rant off.

TLR: WoW isn't the thing that "noobified" MMORPG's. It's the current generation of gamers. Stop living in the past and move on, cause you're only being left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by winterfall View Post
    Plus I blame WoW for noobiying the MMORPG genre.
    Pretty much this. The genre has taken a definite step (or two, or 400) backwards since WoW's popularity.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Pretty much this. The genre has taken a definite step (or two, or 400) backwards since WoW's popularity.
    Except that WoW, as far as I understand my history, popularized interesting boss mechanics, talent trees for theorycrafting types, the magical LFD tool, and widespread use of instancing. What has the genre lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Except that WoW, as far as I understand my history, popularized interesting boss mechanics, talent trees for theorycrafting types, the magical LFD tool, and widespread use of instancing. What has the genre lost?
    Lost? Respect.

Gained? Laziness, Instant Gratification, Reward for minimal effort, the journey to max level is no longer a journey, gimmegimmegimme, elitism, and all the negativity that stems from a lack of community / lack of accountability for your actions, a meaningful world (flying mounts, portals, "magical" lfd tool)

WoW is essentially third person shooters with experience points at this stage in their lives. You log on, connect to a random lobby (All the LFD tool is), do your match, get points, done.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-07-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

It's all about the player base, WoW's demographic is identical to Farmville's demo. MMO's used to be played by gamers, World of Warcraft opened it up to everyone.
    WoW is like Facebook, it was cool till you saw your grandma on it.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Lost? Respect.

Gained? Laziness, Instant Gratification, Reward for minimal effort, the journey to max level is no longer a journey, gimmegimmegimme, elitism, and all the negativity that stems from a lack of community / lack of accountability for your actions, a meaningful world (flying mounts, portals, "magical" lfd tool)

MMOs are essentially third person shooters with experience points at this stage in their lives.
    You're just complaining about people in general, who tend to suck. The reason you're suddenly noticing them is that WoW was good enough to draw a player pool an order of magnitude larger than had ever existed in MMOs before.

To those of us who didn't play EQ, it feels like you're just asking for piles of meaningless tedium. Oh, awesome, I get to spend twenty minutes walking to a dungeon I've been to a hundred times? Sweet! This game just got way harder! That twenty-minute walk is not "effort." It's a tragic waste of time.

Tune the challenge:reward ratio as high as you want, but for the love of god, don't raise time:reward and call it good design.

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarus View Post
    Well personally I feel that we all need to just get along and try to make the community for Rift better and set a new tone. I played EQ for many years, Final Fantasy XI, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Guild Wars and many others. I have also been playing wow since 12-29-04 now does that make me a bad MMOer? I don't think so.... I liked the game I played it, and now I'm ready to move on like I have with most other MMO's now if people want to troll and act like idiots I don't care what game you come from you need to shut it.

But think of this, WoW has the largest player base of ANY MMO around, so don't you think you would hear more from those people than any other? I'm not advocating people being morons just sayin...

So lets make this community better TOGETHER
    No matter what MMO you come from once Rift drops and you play it, I'll consider you a friend of the game.
    Good response!!

I'm a WoW player as well. I like playing WoW, i like the friends I have there, the content, the smooth graphics (dont care if they're cartoonish) etc...

Most of my guild mates are over 30, i'm 47, we have a great time!!

That said, I'm always looking to try other games. IMHO, Rift is fun. I jumped on Beta 6 and had a great time. I like how its similar to WoW (UI, controls etc... ) and think that was smart of the designers of Rift due to the large player base of WoW. If its comfortable, its easier to make the transisition to Rift.

I plan on enjoying both games... no big deal, they both have their pros/cons. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive (other than for financial reasons)?
    Last edited by Edord; 02-07-2011 at 10:27 AM.

you can blame trolls for it, the come over from the game and start ranting about it and how this game sucks, for one most beta players are here cuz we really want to play and enjoy the game not hear some kid troll about wow

Telaran

we cant blame WoW, for all the MMO's genre problems, although i would prefer it was ^^

We need to look at ourselves and the so called "western Culture", MMO's are plagued with the "Fast food" and "jack ***" Generations, they dont know better than laugh at the problems of others and most importantly they dont tolerate any type of "hard to come by" stuff, like gear, they dont like to work and actually make an effort to deserve that same gear, for this new generation Yesterday was already to late.

WoW preys on this peoples "modern" values, is not cause teh game is that Good, is cause it exemplifies everything that is worng with us Westerns.

How many of you would tolerate the amount of Grind that Korean MMO's have? im pretty sure no one wants to make that effort, "Westernization" of MMO's is whats wrong with the genre.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    we cant blame WoW, for all the MMO's genre problems, although i would prefer it was ^^

We need to look at ourselves and the so called "western Culture", MMO's are plagued with the "Fast food" and "jack ***" Generations, they dont know better than laugh at the problems of others and most importantly they dont tolerate any type of "hard to come by" stuff, like gear, they dont like to work and actually make an effort to deserve that same gear, for this new generation Yesterday was already to late.

WoW preys on this peoples "modern" values, is not cause teh game is that Good, is cause it exemplifies everything that is worng with us Westerns.

How many of you would tolerate the amount of Grind that Korean MMO's have? im pretty sure no one wants to make that effort, "Westernization" of MMO's is whats wrong with the genre.
    Posts lecturing others on impatience and inattention to detail should probably have impeccable spelling and syntax in order to avoid irony lolz.

Telaran

not everyone as English as main language, be happy u actually got what i tried to say ^^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast