+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81

Thread: 'wow pkayer' is the new 'noob' ?

  1. #16
    Telaran DharmaBum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I listened to Jefferson Airplane when I was in high school. google it
    " Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
    A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
    A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
    A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream."

  2. #17
    Rift Chaser DocLuedeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belmont
    Posts
    374

    Default

    such a lovely read.

  3. #18
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    I'll point out that the poster in question (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea......My-Opinions) also gave Rift a lot of praise. Just because a person is familiar with WoW doesn't mean they'll dislike Rift.

    The main problem I can see on these boards is the Rift fans can't stand when someone says they are less than pleased with the game.
    I concure on your link, it is what I was talking about but, I'm not *****ing about wow players in general whatever their cause in rift are.

    I do have the same feeling that you have about rift fans can't stand WoW players eventhough I don't it would be a problem ingame.

    One thing is to be a WoW player the other part is to be a WoW player who's getting the drift.

    The game surely got room for any player, but "veteran player" dosen't count when you start out with WoW .

  4. #19
    Ascendant Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katnip View Post
    its quite simple really,

    wow was a really good game, the wow community was not, wow players felt the need to be elitist, superior to everyone else,greedy,selfish, and all in all rude to other players especially when the LFD tool was put in, wow players do not have a sense of accountability or play nice that is present in other games.
    As compared to any other game?

    xbox live comes to mind.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Sergeant Major of the Fourth Forward Troll Division
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The pornos lied. They told me it tasted like honey." - Paradoxus

  5. #20
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    109

    Default

    I definitely agree that the pro-Rift/anti-WoW vs. pro-WoW/anti-Rift debate is pretty virulent right now, on the forums and in-game, but it's a beta and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of WoW players giving Rift a try who will hate it and troll simply because it's not WoW, or genuinely not like the game and complain about it. Once beta is over, that group will essentially vaporize, since they're obviously not going to pay for the full game.

    I myself am a WoW player, and I loved it, for a while. I'm switching to Rift not because I hate WoW itself, but because the negative community in WoW grated on me, and because I got burned out on it so it became boring. I unsubscribed but did not delete my account, and I intend on going back and giving it another try down the road, since it truly is an excellent game. So I don't hate WoW, I simply prefer the newness of Rift and its soul system and dynamic content. I dislike the immature parts of WoW's community that have chosen to come here and troll, but like I said, they will largely disappear after beta. There will always be trolls, but there will be a noticeable improvement after launch.

    Those who are worried about the current state of the Rift community should wait until the first month after launch to make their final judgments, when everyone in-game has laid down cash to play, and thus has incentive to see the game succeed.

  6. #21
    Shield of Telara Orbulis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    RIFT, Toronto
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigeons View Post
    wth is with all the wow hatred?

    I see a lot of people whining about 'wow players' and telling them to 'go back to wow' or whatever, but the actual amount of trolling by wow fan boys I've read in game over the beta weekend? um, like 2 people maybe?

    All the wow bashing just seems like people trying impress each other. It's like they think saying people who like wow are morons makes them better players.

    I'm reminded of hipsters insulting each other over embarrassing cds in each other's record collection. As if they never liked the backstreet boys or the spice girls when they were 12. Hint: no one believes you when you say your first album was the velvet underground when you were 6, and no one believes it when you say you *never* liked wow.

    Let's face it - a huge percentage of us have had a wow account at some point in the last 5 years and enjoyed it (for however long).

    Personally I am really excited about Rift and the beta has been fantastic. I haven't been so excited about a new MMO in forever! But I also play wow, like I'm guessing a lot of people reading this do. It's odd how the rift community is so friendly about everything except that. I feel like a social pariah? I've played it for years and my guildies are some of my best friends. I don't think wow is better then rift - it's the friends that keep me playing it.

    I don't really understand why fanboys (wow or rift) insist on comparing the games. They are over six years apart. Wow launched in 2004. Thats a looong time in computer game years.

    I guess what i mean is - look at us! We rp as elves or dwarfs and kill fantasy creatures in our spare time, and take it Very. Seriously. We are all Huge Nerds. None of us were cool when we were 6, and some of us still listen to the spice girls. Bashing on wow players doesn't make you cool, ppl irl will still beat you up and take your lunch money. They think we are all as dorky and lame as each other - because we are!

    EMBRACE YOUR FELLOW MMORPG DORKS!

    I just have a lot of feelings

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUFT35S7Jb4
    I play WoW, but I have no remorse nor feelings when it comes to morons that flames new MMOs and considers it as a "WoW clone". Clearly, it just devastates me to witness so much stupidity that crawls out of the internet these days, especially when it comes to the MMO genre or its marketing. Most of these players are too absorbed and could not let go a single, particular game, because they find it convenient for them. That's fine, but flaming other developers for reiterating ideas from previous games that was developed? Completely ignorant.

    That's kind of like making a first person shooting game like Quake, yet no one seemed to care when Valve made Half-Life and no one said it was a clone.

    People are just brain-fed with little information and as well no conduct of use in common sense.

    -Orb
    Last edited by Orbulis; 02-07-2011 at 09:27 AM.

  7. #22
    Plane Touched swordfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    297

    Default Wow, ignore ALL!

    The few times I could play, in the global channels there was nothing but "wow this" and "this looks like wow", or "this doesn't play like wow" or "Screw wow, this game is the wow slayer"..

    So to a point the channels were funny, but then it got old.....

    Old..to a point to where I created a new chat tab, and turned off the global channels and only referred back to the default tab from time to time when I needed a laugh.

    the game was much better when I did that

  8. #23
    Plane Touched Kumo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katnip View Post
    its quite simple really,

    wow was a really good game, the wow community was not, wow players felt the need to be elitist, superior to everyone else,greedy,selfish, and all in all rude to other players especially when the LFD tool was put in, wow players do not have a sense of accountability or play nice that is present in other games.

    BTW this is a generalization don't get me wrong I have and made a LOT of friends in wow but there was thousands of players who represented this atitude, and every time we see one of these demons rear their ugly head all we want to do is cut it off, aka ppl asking for easymode, ppl asking for lfd tools etc etc
    Agreed.

    At one time the community was not so bad though. People were generally friendly years ago and highest dps was nice but it did not mean everything. At the time I began playing, people were having fun and focused more on team play. I remember running in countless PuGs on my old server long before LFD. Players used to chat in group, ask if someone else needed a piece of gear before they would need on it, players did not go insane if the group wiped, and people had accountability for their own faults back then. One of the reasons is that a majority of us were older gamers, but another chief factor to maintaining a friendly environment back then, is that poor behavior was not tolerated and quickly dealt with by the community. Server x-fer was the only way for many offending players to continue doing group content. Somewhere along the way towards the end of Burning Crusade and beginning of Wrath, people stopped caring. Now the Devs are getting death threats, its getting to be a bit too much!

    What comes down to maintaining a friendly environment at RIFT will be dependent on the community's ability to not tolerate bad behavior.

  9. #24
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pigeons View Post
    wth is with all the wow hatred?

    I see a lot of people whining about 'wow players' and telling them to 'go back to wow' or whatever, but the actual amount of trolling by wow fan boys I've read in game over the beta weekend? um, like 2 people maybe?

    All the wow bashing just seems like people trying impress each other. It's like they think saying people who like wow are morons makes them better players.
    There's a fair number of people out there bitter that their faviorite MMO was a lot less popular then WoW. So they really hate WoW and everybody who plays it, usually for incredibly irrational reasons. They'll also like to tell how everything bad in the genre is WoW's fault, how any games community is inherently better (even though they're all pretty much identical except for scale), and a lot of other nonsense.

    Don't worry, in a few months they'll all be on the forums of whatever game is about to come out doing the same thing there.

  10. #25
    Champion Nikkoleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    569

    Default

    I don't have anything against WoW players, but I hate fanbois of all types. Zealotic devotion to a corporation is pathetic.
    WoW is like Facebook, it was cool till you saw your grandma on it.

  11. #26
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Because pre-WoW the genre was made of of players that were mature and didn't mind difficulty. Then one day Blizzard releases a MMO and all of the Battle.net kiddies come. Suddenly playing WoW was the social norm with things like having a mysapce page(at the time). This new wave of players weren't quiet either. They demanded easier conent and complained a lot and devlopers listened. Games started to be so dumbed down for people with a 5 minute attention span and thus the new genre of MMO's were targetting kids in their teens and early twenties who want shiney things and they wanted it immediately. Thus the WoW player sterotype was born and became a inflammatory title to give to people that seemingly whined a lot and complain about difficulty.

  12. #27
    Champion Mong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Have been playing MMO's since they began myself, was in the original EQ beta 2,3, and 4 and many over the years.

    The whole WOW bashing is just a thing that happens in every game mainly because of it's very large player base and the fact you invariably get people from it showing up and going "blah blah wow this blah blah wow that ".

    Lots of people immediately react to anyone that begins to start it because they are so sick of hearing it in other games ever time a new one starts.

    It's just a fact of life and happens in every game even remotely similar to it.

    As per the guy I saw ranting elsewhere in here for flying mounts in the game because WOW has them below or above atm, depending on who's responding to what.
    Last edited by Mong; 02-07-2011 at 09:38 AM.

  13. #28
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    TBH, all these MMO noobs are just that. Noobs.

    I mean, playing games on a screen? Pressing buttons? LOL. How easy it is for them, and they complain!

    I remember when we used to sit down at a table, and roll a dice, with stacks of paper surrounding us and on it, our characters background, personality, their clothing they wear, their equipment from rations to simple camp items! We had to roleplay our way through these games, where we had full control of what we did! We had to work as a team! Our loot wasn't of epic quality! We got a few items of quality. Nothing that made us amazing! And nothing was the same! We had to WORK to progress!

    And these MMORPG noobs complain about pressing buttons! Lol.

    MMO's have noobified RPGs.

    /sarcasm off.

    This is how the majority of people bashing WoW-"*****" sound. Just thought I'd let you know.

  14. #29
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    All weekend chat is filled with WOW talk. I haven't played WOW since 2005 and don't want to have scroll through lines and lines of WoW talk to find an answer to a question.

    I think all the remarks of go back to WOW are appropriate. People are tired of it. For those of us who don't play WOW don't really care to hear about it. I am not talking about Warhammer, AOC, EQ, EQII, SWG, Vanguard in chat.

  15. #30
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A box
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Its simple really people get fed up with people logging on just to scream *this is a wow clone wow is so much better*, yes theres the occasional 1 from other games but in general theres way more wow players doing it. There may well be a lot of nice wow players and its just a few doing this, but beta 1-9 chat is always alive with these idiots shouting how much they love wow and how rift sucks and after 6 betas of it people are getting tired

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts