+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking about upgrading video card...suggestions please

Default Thinking about upgrading video card...suggestions please

My wife and I both have Dell desktops with AMD Athalon II x4 630 Processors (2.8GHz) and 6 gigs of ram. The computers have ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics processors (on board) with 512 MB of memory (shared from RAM). The computer does have a PCI x16 slot so I'm thinking about getting new video cards (Christmas is almost here). I'm going to try and keep it reasonable since it will be a card for both computers. I'm guessing $100-$150 tops is what I can get away with spending. There are so many choices now, I thought I'd get some opinions from other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteen View Post
    My wife and I both have Dell desktops with AMD Athalon II x4 630 Processors (2.8GHz) and 6 gigs of ram. The computers have ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics processors (on board) with 512 MB of memory (shared from RAM). The computer does have a PCI x16 slot so I'm thinking about getting new video cards (Christmas is almost here). I'm going to try and keep it reasonable since it will be a card for both computers. I'm guessing $100-$150 tops is what I can get away with spending. There are so many choices now, I thought I'd get some opinions from other people.
    http://www.rabb1t.com/mypc.html I don't know if rabb1t is busy so ill link this for him. There should be a section for graphic cards to help you out.

On the nvidia side most of the 460's I am seeing are over 150
    Last edited by luci; 11-12-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Computer: Massive sexy beast that rocks your socks off

IM me I will help you.

Rift Disciple

With AMD AII chips your best bet is to stick with ATI as the chip infrustructure meshes better as the AII I beleive was made after the purchase of ATI so the bridged technology is built into the AII chips. I know its built into the PhaII chips.

I am currenty running a set of ATI 5870's are mixed with the PhaII chips they are simply amazing cards for the price.

Dėtail
    Last edited by Detail; 11-12-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    Verrun - Shaman(27)\Druid(5)\Justicar(4)

The 5870 is actually one I was eyeing on pricewatch. It's under $100 and looks pretty solid, especially compared to the onboard I have now. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteen View Post
    The 5870 is actually one I was eyeing on pricewatch. It's under $100 and looks pretty solid, especially compared to the onboard I have now. Thanks for the input.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150476 is what I have atm and it is beastly awesome, just a lot over your price range
    Last edited by luci; 11-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Computer: Massive sexy beast that rocks your socks off

opps, It was the 5770 I was looking at. Big difference I guess.

Rift Disciple

The 5750 sits in the 120-140 price range the 5770 is just a tad above that. A 5750 or 5770 would match 2x 5570 and give you room to through another 5750/5770 in later. However ATI did just release the 6800 series so the prices on all cards should be coming down a bit as the 6800 price point is lower then some of the 5800 series price points.

Dėtail
    Last edited by Detail; 11-12-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Verrun - Shaman(27)\Druid(5)\Justicar(4)

Seems like you got your target on the right track. But, if you aren't upgrading until December, don't worry for a bit. Word is that AMD's 69xx cards will come out and no doubt there will be some price war stuff going on what with the new AMD 6 series and Nvidia 580, some of that war may trickle into your range, so that may alter the card you look at.

And yes, my life has been wooo woooo aaahhh woooo since Thursday afternoon. Settling down now though.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread