+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time for a new machine. tips/advice.??

Default Time for a new machine. tips/advice.??

I pretty much build at least one or two new machines for a good upcoming new release game. Well, since its been since Beta2 VG, i havent really kept up with whats new out there?

Anyone give me some advice on whats good, bad, over-priced, a must have in the marketplace these days?

I've been running the quad core since beta2 VG. (intel) probably keep it, at the time the clocked much better than the AMD.

But really like to hear whats good as far as a new MB, Vid card, PSU, is the blue ray burner worth the 200.00? Any advice greatly appreciated, especially what NOT to buy.

Tal

Head over to rabb1t.com. Rabbit has lots of good advice including price/performance comparrisons and links to shops where you can buy online.

rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone
    Mac

Personally I am waiting for specs to be released for RIFT before I even think about buying a new rig. And then be sure it runs good for the game

Regards,
    Kalbuir

The hardware industry is really stuck in a rut...it hasn't changed a whole lot in several years. Sure, you could look at getting a DX11 GPU, running Windows 7 64-bit, get a whole crapload of RAM since it's fairly cheap... but the actual performance benefits in real games over a system from 2 years ago? Not all that much. It's really not like 5-6 years ago when every six months you could practically double your performance with the hardware coming out. Honestly, if you've got a powerful rig from Vanguard beta (if you bought a quad-core at that time, I'm figuring you spent a lot and got a very powerful system for the time), it's probably still going to play modern games just fine.

I would also advise waiting until there are some good reasons to upgrade, like new games that really don't play well on your current rig, or software that you can't run. The longer you wait, the more powerful a machine you'll end up with for the same money.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    The hardware industry is really stuck in a rut...it hasn't changed a whole lot in several years. Sure, you could look at getting a DX11 GPU, running Windows 7 64-bit, get a whole crapload of RAM since it's fairly cheap... but the actual performance benefits in real games over a system from 2 years ago? Not all that much. It's really not like 5-6 years ago when every six months you could practically double your performance with the hardware coming out. Honestly, if you've got a powerful rig from Vanguard beta (if you bought a quad-core at that time, I'm figuring you spent a lot and got a very powerful system for the time), it's probably still going to play modern games just fine.

I would also advise waiting until there are some good reasons to upgrade, like new games that really don't play well on your current rig, or software that you can't run. The longer you wait, the more powerful a machine you'll end up with for the same money.
    /agree

You might want to wait if you can til alot closer to release to get something new, prices go down / tech goes up. If you really want something now tho, you might check newegg.com, that's where I bought my current comp, you can find pretty good deals there. The comp I got came with WIN7 and a 1yr warranty included, and it was delivered 2 days after I paid for it online.

Prophet of Telara

Scott has said a few times that Telara runs great on a few year old PC. It's a HD game designed to run smoothly on a high number of systems...unlike Vanguard.

Take Fozzik and Rabbit's advice. They know what they're talking about. They were the guys everyone asked at Silky Venom back int he day. Good guys.

...or you could do what I did...buy an expensive new rig and play Football Manager (a database game) on it. Depends if you have the money to splash out...I did.
    Last edited by anagain; 05-19-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Personally I am waiting for specs to be released for RIFT before I even think about buying a new rig. And then be sure it runs good for the game

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    Pretty much this, even tho Scotty said that few years old pc can run the game, you will need to reduce few details tho, where as I personally like to play games on max settings ^^
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I checked out the site rabbit, good stuff. I'll be checking it out more and more as we get closer for sure. Thanks everyone for the advice, yes agreed that waiting is the smartest of all options.

I love newegg too, and even some prices from tigerdirect.com. But newegg and its system starter kits are great values sometimes. Theres always brands you want to lean towards (reliability-respect) and brands now matter what kind of deal you get, you stay AWAY from.

Was always a huge Asus MB fan, but three straight DOA's, customer service support non-existant, made me very weary last few years. Went with a EVGA MB and was beyond happy with it.

Right now just wanted to get an idea on who's got what, who's leading the pack so i can start some reading up now.
    Vid cards was another gamble brand wise.......after all, 10 companies may make a Geforce XXX, but that doesnt mean there all good.

I think we should stop saying that the game runs on a few year old pc, which could confuse some ppl. I think he also said it was a very good computer at the time, and since we don't know actually what the speccs was, we can't be certain.
    Wait for the reqs and see.

@Topic
    You should add some more info to your question..
    What do you want to do with the computer?
    How much money are you willing to spend?

www.tomshardware.com got plenty of charts about the performance of CPUs, GPUs, RAMs and plenty more to read about, I'd suggest you to check that out.

I would wait and see. If your machine is working then dont worry about upgrading. I am running my Vanguard rig still. Only thing I have done to it is add more ram, and get a new ATI 5770 video card since my 8800GTS died a couple months ago. I have no problems with any high end graphical games so I dont see a reason to upgrade.
    Warp

Quote Originally Posted by Talger View Post
    I pretty much build at least one or two new machines for a good upcoming new release game. Well, since its been since Beta2 VG, i havent really kept up with whats new out there?
    It sounds like you just build to build, not so much specifically for any single game. But if that’s not the case then I’d highly recommend against building specifically and only for a game, doubly so if it isn’t out yet, even more so if you haven’t played it. Remember, no matter how “official” the release date is, a game which isn’t out yet is not out yet. It can be delayed (or canceled) at any time prior to release. Even just a delay of 6 months can cause a vast change in the PC hardware landscape that you ‘could have gotten’ if you would have waited.

is the blue ray burner worth the 200.00?
    If you really can’t burn what you need on multiple DVDs, maybe. Unless you are talking about burning really large movies I don’t know why you couldn’t just use several DVDs at a much much lower cost than Blu-ray.

If you have "money to burn" after doing things like getting a solid graphics card and 3 monitors for Eyefinity, then, and only then, would I recommend tacking something like Blu-ray on (particularly a higher cost one like a burner, which is about double what a player will cost.) If you need to be careful about costs, I'd say give gaming a higher priority unless you absolutely can't live without super huge single disk backup.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    Rabbit has lots of good advice including price/performance comparrisons and links to shops where you can buy online.
    *blush*

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Even with specs I’d still say the above. Not released is not released, period. Remember too that even if you exceeded the high-end Vanguard specs you would still hit spots in the game where you would drop to 12 FPS or less. Even with recommended/suggested specs that still won’t ensure that the game runs well/smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    I would also advise waiting until there are some good reasons to upgrade, like new games that really don't play well on your current rig, or software that you can't run.
    Or for the reason the Foz always forgets, something super cool like Eyefinity. (Though I’m still waiting for the official confirmation that Rift will have ATi Eyefinity / Nvidia Surround resolutions/support.)

Quote Originally Posted by s33kNDstroy View Post
    You might want to wait if you can til alot closer to release to get something new
    If a person absolutely must buy for a specific single game I recommend no sooner than said game has gone gold.

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    Take Fozzik and Rabbit's advice. They know what they're talking about. They were the guys everyone asked at Silky Venom back int he day. Good guys.
    We still do, though the site is pretty empty these days. I know Foz will also answer PMs via the board (possibly through his new site too) and I’m always happy to answer direct emails through my site or PMs through boards I’m on.

Depends if you have the money to splash out...I did.
    Back in the day when I first started recommending full PC builds I actually had a few complaints that I didn’t have extreme systems. I guess there are a few people out there with budgets upwards to 10k they drop per year ‘just because they can’. O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Talger View Post
    I checked out the site rabbit, good stuff.
    *blush*

Thanks everyone for the advice, yes agreed that waiting is the smartest of all options.
    I think it’s on my site, I should double check to be sure, but even now we are looking at more 6 core CPUs launching soon and the ATi series 5 refresh as well as Nvidia’s series 4 mainstream cards.

Right now just wanted to get an idea on who's got what, who's leading the pack so i can start some reading up now.
    It really depends on what you want. Right now there is a lot of ‘future-proffing’ going on. Yes, you could get a 6 core AMD but does it gain you something over an Intel quad core? Not so much. Down the line, well, who’s to say, but it’s doubtful it will be a huge gain. (Multi-threaded is multi-threaded after all.) And, as Foz mentions, while DX11 is awesome it isn’t critical to have just right now. I have only heard of about 3-4 games that actually have any DX11 features at all. Although with ATi there isn’t really much point not going with a new-generation DX11 capable card as they have one at every pricepoint. (Nvidia DX11 offerings are strictly high-end at around $350 and $500.)

Vid cards was another gamble brand wise.......after all, 10 companies may make a Geforce XXX, but that doesnt mean there all good.
    Evga and XFX are at the top of the list in my book for Nvidia. They are the only ones to offer lifetime guarantees and then some. Is that really necessary? Probably not. Three or so years of coverage will likely outlive the card. But knowing that you could do something like buy an Evga card and have the trade-up option if something new comes out just a few months later, or sell your card XFX on the secondary market in a few years and the second owner is covered are really nice bonuses. XFX is really the top one in my book for ATi. To my knowledge they are the only lifetime coverage company for ATi cards. Asus and Gigabyte are also way up there for both, but won’t necessarily offer lifetime coverage.

It’s sad to see BFG leaving the market, as they were one of the best in terms of coverage (up there with Evga.)

Quote Originally Posted by WarpCode View Post
    Only thing I have done to it is add more ram, and get a new ATI 5770 … I have no problems with any high end graphical games so I dont see a reason to upgrade.
    You shouldn’t with a 5770. While technically a mainstream card, it is really among the higher-end of cards these days. You shouldn’t see any issues unless you are running Eyefinity at higher settings, and even then it pulls some very solid numbers.
    Last edited by rabb1t; 05-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

I don't forget things like eyefinity... I choose to ignore them. =D
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Soulwalker

I just built a new rig for aion beta and i went with a shuttle build, very impressed with performance and small size.

+ Reply to Thread