+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC tech help wanted please:)

Default PC tech help wanted please:)

Last night while surfing the Rift forums (as usual) my PC just went black and restarted and I got the the message No boot device detected. From my limited amount of research i'm assuming my hd could be bad but what steps do i need to detect to determine this? Thanks.

Telaran

yeah, its probable that your hard drive is gone..
    Last edited by Amagon; 11-11-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Ouch. If there was any kind of 'clicking' when it was seeking before that was an indication that the heads were going. If it just went *poof* and couldn't boot I'd say shut the system down, turn off the power switch on the back of the PSU, turn off any power strip it may be attached to, unplug said power strip for at least 30 seconds, plug it all back in, turn it all back on, and see if it mysteriously finds the harddrive and everything is ok. It may have just hiccuped and it's fine.

It's possible if you can get to a different system (which your posting is an indication that you can) that you can go to your HD manufacturer's website and find some HD tools. You'd then download the tools, burn them onto a (bootable) CD, go to the semi-deaded system, boot from the CD (you may need to break into bios and change the boot order first), and from that tool set there should be various tools to check if the HD is ok, check for bad sectors, and maybe even some to repair a tweaked boot sector tool or, if necessary, completely wipe the drive back to factory new settings (which would mean you'd have to reinstall everything.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Chances are that your hard drive is bad. If you can get your hands on a copy of hirens or ultimate boot cd you can run a hard drive test off the disc. Also if the drive did have some sort of problem chances are high that you will have problems again in the future. Once a drive starts acting up it will continue to have problems. Drives are so cheap now you can get a 2tb drive for 89 dollars.

My only real headache involved is replacing my itunes library. I haven't backed it up in about 2 years and have made a lot of purchases. I have heard of programs that let you copy from your ipod back to itunes though. There was no warning sign really. I remember my wireless keyboard fell in the couch and my dogs walked on it and the next thing i know i got that message.

If you have any tech skills you can do the following to diagnose the problem...

Before you do ANY of the following that requires you to open up your computer make sure you unplug the computer from the power and WAIT at least 30 seconds before touching anything inside. Most newer systems have a LED light somewhere on the MB that will light up when the board is storing power. If you open it up make sure you touch somewhere on the frame of the computer to discharge any static you have in your body before you touch anything else.

1. Boot your computer into the BIOS screen.
    2. Check to see if the Hard Drive is detected within the BIOS
    3. If it is NOT detected chances are the drive is bad but there is a slim possibility that the controller went bad...
    4. To check if it's the controller or not you can plug the hard drive cable into a different controller on your motherboard. (I.E. find where the cable from your hard drive plugs into the motherboard and then find another plug of the same type and move it there)
    5. If the computer will not detect the hard drive no matter where you plug it in chances are that it's the drive. If it does detect it when you move it chances are it's the MB.
    Last edited by Neno_Masaki; 11-11-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Yeah, I'd say try restarting first.

You should just be able to sync to iTunes and it should just pull all your purchased stuff back down, no? In the future I'd recommend a smaller uber drive for boot and games, and a massive drive for media. This way if something goes wrong there's a fair chance you'll only lose some data, not all. I don't have a lot of personal info myself, so it's pretty easy to do, but I run a backup once a month just in case. I've only ever needed the data once due to lost drive, but it's good to know that you won't be that far behind if you do lose info.

Monies permitting, this is what I'd recommend for someone like you...
    OCZ Agility 2 90 gig SSD $180 - boot and games
    Western Digital Caviar Black 750 gig $69 - media storage and not so important games (like single player ones where load times aren't critical)
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

Rift Disciple

A few things

Make sure there are no other boot devices. Remove all CD's, Floppy's and also any USB storage devices. It might be booting up and looking for the OS on one of these devices and that's what causing the error.

Double-check all the connections on the HD

Try using a different power connection for the HD

If you have another computer plug the HD in on that other computer (but leave the original HD still in) then boot up the machine normal and you can sometimes still access the data on the 'bad' drive.

It might be the power Supply that is bad vs the HD

Quote Originally Posted by Azarine View Post
    My only real headache involved is replacing my itunes library. I haven't backed it up in about 2 years and have made a lot of purchases. I have heard of programs that let you copy from your ipod back to itunes though. There was no warning sign really. I remember my wireless keyboard fell in the couch and my dogs walked on it and the next thing i know i got that message.
    You can just download them all over again. You sometimes need to contact Itunes to download them all again but once you purchase it, it is yours. I had to do this for a customer about a year ago. It was about 100 gigs of stuff through Itunes.

Going into your bios to see if the hard drive is being recognized will not do anything. The bios may actually see the hard drive but the hard drive can have other issues not allowing it to boot up. It could just be boot files that are missing. If you have your disc still for your os you can do a repair on your os. Boot of the cd and there will be an option that says repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Neno_Masaki View Post
    If4. To check if it's the controller or not you can plug the hard drive cable into a different controller on your motherboard.
    True true, on rare occassion those ports can go bad.

Once I had a drive plugged in to a raid port by itself and it worked for a while, but stopped working later. I did facepalm when I noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    True true, on rare occassion those ports can go bad.

Once I had a drive plugged in to a raid port by itself and it worked for a while, but stopped working later. I did facepalm when I noticed that.

Hopefully I can do something tonite, I need to read your updates from the party

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Azarine View Post
    Just to verify, the last thing that happened was your wireless keyboard fell onto the couch and your dog walked onto it? During boot up? Or when you were surfing the Rift site and then the pc went off after those events?

I would say, you have not changed anything in bios prior or you wouldnt be here asking for help.

You can do a few things. You can just get into bios, which is usually.. but not always Delete of a F key during boot up..

or you can reset the Cmos manually with a screwdriver or, preferrably, a jumper.

I highly doubt you want to try the second method first.

+ Reply to Thread