+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tomorrow is Rememberance/Veterans Day...

Default Tomorrow is Rememberance/Veterans Day...

I know a lot of people will be having fun, looking for info here on Trion's Gamer Day, and all that, but I urge you put a little time aside to give some thought to our veterans, troops today, and the first responders out there who all work so hard to keep us safe, secure and happy so that we can enjoy all these things we generally take for granted. I know I'll certainly be raising a toast to them all tomorrow.

Thanks guys (and gals!)
    Cutter
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Thanks for that, Cutter.

I am the wife of a veteran, it means a great deal to hear of other people who take just a second to say thank you.

How society has fallen that we don't realize what our soldiers have done for us - be the reason justified or not... The bottom line is they still have fought/are fighting for US, and I'll be damned if they're not some of the bravest ******* people on the planet. Punch a bear in the face all you want, those folks stare death in the face nearly every day... R.I.P. to the fallen, and may the rest return to us still breathing.

This is a short poem I wrote way back when, spurred on my a friend's Facebook status. It's meant to be an ode, of sorts, to all the fallen soldiers and to those that are still with us, as well as a lesson, of sorts, to the rest of us - aptly named, "To All The Rest"...

To all the fallen
    Drifting from life
    Slipping from love

To all the forgotten
    Astray in the sands
    Missing in the wind

To all the lost
    Blind in the sun
    Senseless in the cold

To all the broken
    Shattered souls
    Ruptured spirits

To all the scarred
    With their visible wounds
    And their hidden ones

To all the dead
    With deathless deeds
    And lifeless progeny

To all the faithless
    Who have no guide
    And wander off the path

To all the helpless
    With all their bloodied tears
    That never staunch

To all the fearful
    Who can face their nightmares
    Yet sit in shadow

To all the missing
    To be found again
    Returned to warm embraces

To all the lovers
    Warmed by hearts
    Bathed in light

And to all the rest
    To find themselves
    To find the truth

To find beauty in love
    To find beauty in life
    To find beauty in sacrifice.
    Halcyon Legion: now offering candy and rainbows! Also, I love writing poetry Ask!
    "When we built these dreams on sand... How they all slipped through our hands; And this might be our only chance! Let's take this one day at a time - I'll hold your hand if you hold mine... The time that we kill keeps us alive." Rise Against - Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Not sure how many Americans may know this, but this is something we all learned in school growing up, or at least we did when I was growing up.

In Flanders Fields
    By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
    Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

And no need to thank me Zar. We just need to keep remind the newer generations of why it's such an important day.

Nicely done, Kin.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Never heard of that, Cutter; speaks true. Have a number of friends in the US Military and I know a handful of current and ex-Marines, so I tend to be very very honorific of them all. They deserve it, heh.
    Halcyon Legion: now offering candy and rainbows! Also, I love writing poetry Ask!
    "When we built these dreams on sand... How they all slipped through our hands; And this might be our only chance! Let's take this one day at a time - I'll hold your hand if you hold mine... The time that we kill keeps us alive." Rise Against - Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Telaran

One thing that always tears me up is the moment of silence on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month at our ceremonies here in Canada (and other places I'm sure). That, plus the rest of the ceremonies at cenotaphs around the country really hit the day home in a way that cuts through all of the war shows, the documentaries, etc.

Lest we forget.
    Last edited by Adomnae; 11-11-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Shadowlander

I'm the son and grandson of great men who have served in the military and served for their country. Thank you dad and grandpa and to every man, woman, son, daughter, cousin, aunt, uncle and friends for the devotion unselfishness you've shown and dedication you've shown to protect this land and country we love. Let us remember those who currently serve and who aren't here because they lost their lives serving. <prayer>

I am the daughter of a Veteran who passed away from cancer in 2002. I still remember that he served his country proudly though. I miss him. I will play The Sims 3 tonight in honor of him (he loved The Sims games).

I am a Veteran. I am the son of a Veteran who was at the Chosin Reservoir. I am the grandson of two veterans. My brother-in-law is a veteran. My nephew is a veteran. My Niece's husband is a veteran. My.... you get the picture. We do no require thanks. What should be done is not be remembered on a single particular day but be remembered every day for WHAT we do or WHAT we have done. And why we have done it.
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

all i can say is this and ill keep it simple

THANK YOU ALL!

Ale is on me.

Thinking of all the veterans on this rememberance day thank you so very much.

+ Reply to Thread