+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ITs finally here!

Rift Disciple

Default ITs finally here!

I have been waiting for Nvidia to put out a fine tuned version of what should have been the GTX 480. Good things come to those who wait but sadly it has a rather large price tag. the GTX 580 is out and is putting out some great numbers. I have been running my 8800GTX for 4 years now and have been waiting for a significant upgrade. I am hoping Santa is good to me this year or at least my wife :P

Here is a good write up for anyone interested in the tech side of it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4008/n...eforce-gtx-580

I'm satisfied with my GTX 470.

*wonders if her computer could handle going above the 200 series*

Quote Originally Posted by Maladhiel View Post
    *wonders if her computer could handle going above the 200 series*
    The 460/465's are amazingly light on the power usage, compareable t the 260's.

Meh, 600 dollars for the card plus the 200 you'll probably have to drop for a new power supply.
    You can have it =P

My power supply is currently 750W.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
    The 460/465's are amazingly light on the power usage, compareable t the 260's.
    Oh yeah? What about compatibility with motherboards?
    Last edited by Maladhiel; 11-09-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Terroni View Post
    Meh, 600 dollars for the card plus the 200 you'll probably have to drop for a new power supply.
    You can have it =P
    I built a new computer a year ago this month but have kept my 8800 GTX for the last 4 years. My machine/psu can handle that card its just a matter if I want to drop the cash. Tough decision for sure my 8800 GTX has done me well I cant complain.

What I would like to know is why is it $250 more expensive in Australia :/

Seems like I could buy it in the US and have it shipped to Australia for $520 but shops here are trying to sell it at $750. With our AU dollar being higher than the US dollar I would have thought we would have comparable prices. Me thinks the business sector are trying to rip people off before the government wises up.
    Last edited by Smoopy; 11-09-2010 at 09:39 PM.

That is rather odd, Smoopy. I'm pretty sure any computer could "handle" the card - the 480 is flipping humongous (physical size). I know Kainzo is upgrading to the 580 because of the lower voltage, less heat output and semi-higher specs. Your computer will bottleneck really hard with your CPU though, if it can't keep up. I've been thinking myself, about upgrading to the ATI 6870, since they're cheap and slightly better! I don't understand why nVidia kept their prices so high... I also really don't get the war between nVidia and AMD/ATI, I know they're rival graphics, but excluding SLI compatibility from so many mobos seems a little bit much. I know you can surpass it (it usually just requires a second sli connector) but still. :/

My XPS has a 750W power supply ... so I *think* it could handle the 580 ... but like the OP, I'm not sure if I want to plunk down the money for it. Plus, I'm still using XP ... so I wouldn't really be able to enjoy ALL of the features of that card (or even some of the others like the 460). But a friend of mine said I would still see a big difference with a 400 series compared to my 9800 GTX+ even with XP. What do you guys think?

My XPS has a 750W power supply ... so I *think* it could handle the 580 ... but like the OP, I'm not sure if I want to plunk down the money for it. Plus, I'm still using XP ... so I wouldn't really be able to enjoy ALL of the features of that card (or even some of the others like the 460). But a friend of mine said I would still see a big difference with a 400 series compared to my 9800 GTX+ even with XP. What do you guys think?
    I think you'd be fine, a 750 wouldn't break a sweat. Most of the reviews that came out this week like this one at Anandtech have tested power consumption at idle and at load.

Not sure I'd worry too much about not being able to use DX11, etc. right now, since you'll most likely be able to move the card into your next PC with faster hardware and Windows 7. Good times.

Edit: I should add, make sure that your PSU has available both a 6- and 8-pin power connector for the 580. Some cards include adapters (and I assume they can be purchased separately) but from what I've read most recommend not going that route.
    Last edited by Maser; 11-11-2010 at 09:23 AM.

At the moment, I have two 6-pin connectors in my computer (the 9800 GTX+ only needed one). I'm not sure what the other end looks like ... so I'd have to see if it can connect to an 8-pin. I know some of the 400 series use 2 6-pins.

At the moment, I have two 6-pin connectors in my computer (the 9800 GTX+ only needed one). I'm not sure what the other end looks like ... so I'd have to see if it can connect to an 8-pin. I know some of the 400 series use 2 6-pins.
    The eVGAs seem to come with a dual-six-into-single-eight adapter: Newegg pic

I hope that link works, otherwise this should, then click on the pic that shows the accessories and zoom in.

It also shows the dual molex into a single six, so even if you have two sizes and two molexes, you'd be good. Hope this helps.

Rift Disciple

Thats the one thing I never liked about Nvidia cards, having run 2x 6800's then a single 8800gtx I then moved to ATI which I have stayed at since.

After doing performance testing my stacks sit in ATI still. I am running a 750 corsair PSU and 2x ATI 5870 HD Radeon with no power issues.

My outlook on it is this,
    "Nvidia is like a sports car it goes really fast until you weigh it down, ATI is like a truck not so fast to start but still goes after putting it under load."

Dėtail
    Verrun - Shaman(27)\Druid(5)\Justicar(4)

Quote Originally Posted by Maser View Post
    The eVGAs seem to come with a dual-six-into-single-eight adapter: Newegg pic

I hope that link works, otherwise this should, then click on the pic that shows the accessories and zoom in.

It also shows the dual molex into a single six, so even if you have two sizes and two molexes, you'd be good. Hope this helps.
    Ahh. Cool beans. I had to stare at it for a bit before I saw that the two 6-pins are attached to that 8-pin adapter.

+ Reply to Thread