+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What will WOW copy next?

Default What will WOW copy next?

I've heard the criticisms that WOW tends to copy good design elements from other games. More openly Rift is supposed to do the same.

So what do you think WOW will adopt from Rift?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by FacesOfMu View Post
    I've heard the criticisms that WOW tends to copy good design elements from other games. More openly Rift is supposed to do the same.

So what do you think WOW will adopt from Rift?
    TBH its not really copying. There is only a limit in which you can do with online MMO's to make them enjoyable. Just because ideas and mechanics may be similar doesn't mean that RIFT + WOW have to be at a constant battle.

But if say anything that they will copy would be to make wow have more world avents. Because thats the most intriguing

Shield of Telara

I don't know whether its technically possible, but if I was Pardo I'd take rifts from Rift. In fact, I think they had mini-rifts leading up to Cataclysm? I'm sure remember reading about them. So yeah, rifts. There really isn't much else you could take from Rift that isn't already in other games.
    Basically I'm a part time blogger and I design my own jewellery line which is like, a mix of religious iconography kind of with a saved by the bell vibe. We're puttin on this rave in an abandoned mosque, and all the proceeds are going to that thing that happened in the middle east or africa or whatever

WoW will make it so these things called Tfir's and they comedown from the sky and send out invasions...

Narwhal Video---------------Narwhal Wiki---------------Fake Narwhal Wiki

Shadowlander

Nothing.

Rift hasn't offered anything new, from what I've seen.

If they had actually tried to be different like Guild Wars did, that would be one thing. But they didn't.

I'm disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Araius View Post
    Nothing.

Rift hasn't offered anything new, from what I've seen.

If they had actually tried to be different like Guild Wars did, that would be one thing. But they didn't.

I'm disappointed.
    I've heard this argument. And I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time while every MMO has a lot of similarities, and Rift is no different - they have drastically changed a few things regarding character progression and so far the repetitive gear grinds in other games.

The Ascended soul system is a HUGE change. The info on end game dungeons is a change (A dungeon that scales to you, and gets more difficult when you go back? Well played Trion...)

There are new things in this game. It's not a copy of every other game - and more than anything, this game has a proactive development team that listen to issues people have and fixes them.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

Prophet of Telara

What wow does is reverse engineer good looking features and then implements it in a cleaner way than the other games had intended to.

They can get away with that because they are so well-funded.

I've seen a lot of games in development with promising features that blizzard basically gutted before the game even came out.
    True skill comes without effort

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    I don't know whether its technically possible, but if I was Pardo I'd take rifts from Rift. In fact, I think they had mini-rifts leading up to Cataclysm? I'm sure remember reading about them. So yeah, rifts. There really isn't much else you could take from Rift that isn't already in other games.
    WoW has had some awesome world events. The problem is that the whole world is designed to be static, and they thus can't add dynamic world events.

The AQ and Naxxramas world events from classic WoW were awesome though, but they would get boring quick, as they too are static.
    Last edited by Thren; 02-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Can we please start insta-banning people who bring up WoW? So tired of it.

I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you I still have a country. (Captain Blythe)
    In war (and PvP) it's not who's right, it's who's left.
    I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Does that include Trion too? You're not in Azeroth now...!
    Basically I'm a part time blogger and I design my own jewellery line which is like, a mix of religious iconography kind of with a saved by the bell vibe. We're puttin on this rave in an abandoned mosque, and all the proceeds are going to that thing that happened in the middle east or africa or whatever

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Thulmann View Post
    I've heard this argument. And I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time while every MMO has a lot of similarities, and Rift is no different - they have drastically changed a few things regarding character progression and so far the repetitive gear grinds in other games.

The Ascended soul system is a HUGE change. The info on end game dungeons is a change (A dungeon that scales to you, and gets more difficult when you go back? Well played Trion...)

There are new things in this game. It's not a copy of every other game - and more than anything, this game has a proactive development team that listen to issues people have and fixes them.
    Honestly, I don't think I'm willing to go past the starter area with Rift to find this out. :/

Among other things, the visuals give me terrible dizziness, which isn't something I've ever experienced with WoW.

And I checked out what you're talking about. I don't really think a massive talent tree is enough to make me switch; I still feel like I'm just playing a more complicated, less streamlined, less fun version of WoW. *shrug*

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Hey, you guys took over the WoW forums.

I'm honestly surprised the admins here at the Rift forums are letting folks mention it so much. At the WoW forums, any mention of Rift was almost instantly deleted and taken care of.

Maybe they just don't care as much here. I dunno. [But, if no one was allowed to discuss WoW here, it seems the discussions would drop off drastically; every other thread seems WoW related.]

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    Does that include Trion too? You're not in Azeroth now...!

Quote Originally Posted by Thulmann View Post
    The Ascended soul system is a HUGE change.
    I mean nothing against Rift, I'm having a great time but their Ascended soul system is nothing different. Instead of going to a trainer and learning abilities, the abilities are auto-learned. That's not much new. The only "new" thing to consider is you learn more from one soul compared to another. Though this may be cool I prefer other ways. We're going to have so many abilities and most not even at used games it's just a waste of time for Trion to manage them and juggle so much around.

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    I mean nothing against Rift, I'm having a great time but their Ascended soul system is nothing different. Instead of going to a trainer and learning abilities, the abilities are auto-learned. That's not much new. The only "new" thing to consider is you learn more from one soul compared to another. Though this may be cool I prefer other ways. We're going to have so many abilities and most not even at used games it's just a waste of time for Trion to manage them and juggle so much around.
    What this really does is to take away the tradition class archetype... A rogue that can be a tank or an off healer is huge... It takes some of the linear character progression away. I agree that on the surface it doesn't seem to be huge - but it really allows you to customize your gameplay a lot more than in most MMO's.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast