+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: What will WOW copy next?

  1. #1
    Telaran FacesOfMu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    64

    Default What will WOW copy next?

    I've heard the criticisms that WOW tends to copy good design elements from other games. More openly Rift is supposed to do the same.

    So what do you think WOW will adopt from Rift?

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FacesOfMu View Post
    I've heard the criticisms that WOW tends to copy good design elements from other games. More openly Rift is supposed to do the same.

    So what do you think WOW will adopt from Rift?
    TBH its not really copying. There is only a limit in which you can do with online MMO's to make them enjoyable. Just because ideas and mechanics may be similar doesn't mean that RIFT + WOW have to be at a constant battle.

    But if say anything that they will copy would be to make wow have more world avents. Because thats the most intriguing

  3. #3
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    672

    Default

    I don't know whether its technically possible, but if I was Pardo I'd take rifts from Rift. In fact, I think they had mini-rifts leading up to Cataclysm? I'm sure remember reading about them. So yeah, rifts. There really isn't much else you could take from Rift that isn't already in other games.
    Basically I'm a part time blogger and I design my own jewellery line which is like, a mix of religious iconography kind of with a saved by the bell vibe. We're puttin on this rave in an abandoned mosque, and all the proceeds are going to that thing that happened in the middle east or africa or whatever

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Fabian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY USA
    Posts
    341

    Default

    WoW will make it so these things called Tfir's and they comedown from the sky and send out invasions...

    Narwhal Video---------------Narwhal Wiki---------------Fake Narwhal Wiki

  5. #5
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Nothing.

    Rift hasn't offered anything new, from what I've seen.

    If they had actually tried to be different like Guild Wars did, that would be one thing. But they didn't.

    I'm disappointed.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple Thulmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern MI
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Araius View Post
    Nothing.

    Rift hasn't offered anything new, from what I've seen.

    If they had actually tried to be different like Guild Wars did, that would be one thing. But they didn't.

    I'm disappointed.
    I've heard this argument. And I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time while every MMO has a lot of similarities, and Rift is no different - they have drastically changed a few things regarding character progression and so far the repetitive gear grinds in other games.

    The Ascended soul system is a HUGE change. The info on end game dungeons is a change (A dungeon that scales to you, and gets more difficult when you go back? Well played Trion...)

    There are new things in this game. It's not a copy of every other game - and more than anything, this game has a proactive development team that listen to issues people have and fixes them.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

    Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

  7. #7
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seattle Jump on it!
    Posts
    949

    Default

    What wow does is reverse engineer good looking features and then implements it in a cleaner way than the other games had intended to.

    They can get away with that because they are so well-funded.

    I've seen a lot of games in development with promising features that blizzard basically gutted before the game even came out.
    True skill comes without effort

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    I don't know whether its technically possible, but if I was Pardo I'd take rifts from Rift. In fact, I think they had mini-rifts leading up to Cataclysm? I'm sure remember reading about them. So yeah, rifts. There really isn't much else you could take from Rift that isn't already in other games.
    WoW has had some awesome world events. The problem is that the whole world is designed to be static, and they thus can't add dynamic world events.

    The AQ and Naxxramas world events from classic WoW were awesome though, but they would get boring quick, as they too are static.
    Last edited by Thren; 02-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched Tragedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Can we please start insta-banning people who bring up WoW? So tired of it.

    I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you I still have a country. (Captain Blythe)
    In war (and PvP) it's not who's right, it's who's left.
    I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next
    .

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Can we please start insta-banning people who bring up WoW? So tired of it.
    Does that include Trion too? You're not in Azeroth now...!
    Basically I'm a part time blogger and I design my own jewellery line which is like, a mix of religious iconography kind of with a saved by the bell vibe. We're puttin on this rave in an abandoned mosque, and all the proceeds are going to that thing that happened in the middle east or africa or whatever

  11. #11
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thulmann View Post
    I've heard this argument. And I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time while every MMO has a lot of similarities, and Rift is no different - they have drastically changed a few things regarding character progression and so far the repetitive gear grinds in other games.

    The Ascended soul system is a HUGE change. The info on end game dungeons is a change (A dungeon that scales to you, and gets more difficult when you go back? Well played Trion...)

    There are new things in this game. It's not a copy of every other game - and more than anything, this game has a proactive development team that listen to issues people have and fixes them.
    Honestly, I don't think I'm willing to go past the starter area with Rift to find this out. :/

    Among other things, the visuals give me terrible dizziness, which isn't something I've ever experienced with WoW.

    And I checked out what you're talking about. I don't really think a massive talent tree is enough to make me switch; I still feel like I'm just playing a more complicated, less streamlined, less fun version of WoW. *shrug*

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Can we please start insta-banning people who bring up WoW? So tired of it.
    Hey, you guys took over the WoW forums.

    I'm honestly surprised the admins here at the Rift forums are letting folks mention it so much. At the WoW forums, any mention of Rift was almost instantly deleted and taken care of.

    Maybe they just don't care as much here. I dunno. [But, if no one was allowed to discuss WoW here, it seems the discussions would drop off drastically; every other thread seems WoW related.]

  13. #13
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    Does that include Trion too? You're not in Azeroth now...!

  14. #14
    Telaran Forlorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thulmann View Post
    The Ascended soul system is a HUGE change.
    I mean nothing against Rift, I'm having a great time but their Ascended soul system is nothing different. Instead of going to a trainer and learning abilities, the abilities are auto-learned. That's not much new. The only "new" thing to consider is you learn more from one soul compared to another. Though this may be cool I prefer other ways. We're going to have so many abilities and most not even at used games it's just a waste of time for Trion to manage them and juggle so much around.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple Thulmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern MI
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    I mean nothing against Rift, I'm having a great time but their Ascended soul system is nothing different. Instead of going to a trainer and learning abilities, the abilities are auto-learned. That's not much new. The only "new" thing to consider is you learn more from one soul compared to another. Though this may be cool I prefer other ways. We're going to have so many abilities and most not even at used games it's just a waste of time for Trion to manage them and juggle so much around.
    What this really does is to take away the tradition class archetype... A rogue that can be a tank or an off healer is huge... It takes some of the linear character progression away. I agree that on the surface it doesn't seem to be huge - but it really allows you to customize your gameplay a lot more than in most MMO's.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

    Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts