+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this a beast laptop?

Plane Touched

Default Is this a beast laptop?

Want to know if I should buy this beast? I just updated this because I realized the first post was chopped and missing important parts

Warranty Terms - Parts1 year
    Warranty Terms - Labor1 year limited
    Product Height1.8"
    Product Width17.4"
    Product Weight10.1 lbs.
    Product Depth11.6"
    Processor BrandIntel®
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7
    Processor Speed1.73GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)
    Battery Type12-cell lithium-ion
    Display TypeHigh-definition widescreen TFT-LCD with TruBrite technology (1920 x 1080)
    Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)18.4"
    Cache Memory6MB on die Level 3
    System Memory (RAM)6GB
    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To8GB
    Type of Memory (RAM)DDR3
    Hard Drive TypeSerial ATA (7200 rpm) and SSD (Solid State Drive)
    Computer Hard Drive Size500GB and 64GB
    Optical DriveDouble-layer DVD±RW/Blu-ray Disc/CD-RW
    Optical Drive Speeds4x DVD+R DL; 4x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 6x BD-ROM; 24x24x24 CD-RW
    Direct-Disc LabelingYes
    Digital Media Reader or SlotsYes, digital media card reader
    GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
    Video Memory1.5GB GDDR5 (discrete)
    TV TunerNo
    MPEGYes
    Built-in WebcamYes
    ModemNone
    NetworkingBuilt-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
    Wireless NetworkingWireless-B+G+N
    Bluetooth-EnabledYes
    S-Video OutputsNone
    AudioDolby Home Theater
    SpeakersInternal
    PCMCIA Slots1 ExpressCard/34/54
    USB 2.0 Ports4
    IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports1
    Parallel PortsNone
    Game PortsNone
    Laptop WeightStandard (more than 5.5 lbs.)
    Battery LifeNot available
    HDMI OutputYes
    Blu-ray PlayerYes
    Operating System PlatformWindows
    Operating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Included SoftwareAdobe Acrobat Reader and more
    ENERGY STAR QualifiedYes
    Best Buy PC AppNo
    Drive Capacity500GB and 64GB
    Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
    Last edited by skeptic; 11-07-2010 at 06:48 AM.

64GB hdd only?

Is this a Qsimo or whatever its called? If so, I haven't heard anything bad about them as far as gaming. I personally purchased a Asus G73hj which pwns every game I have played on it and has comparable stats to what you have listed.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
    Want to know if I should buy this beast?
    You haven't answered critical questions, which are just as important, if not more so, than uber laptop specs.

- Why are you looking at a laptop?

- Why are you not looking at a desktop? Have you considered a desktop and a light netbook or iPad?

- What are you going to use the system for? (Just gaming, 3D rendering work, school, business?)

- How much does this laptop cost?

- How are you going to use the system? (Leave it at a desk and only move it once every 3 months, move it once a week, once a day, once an hour being carried between classes and a dorm room?)

- 64 gig is plenty if you have a secondary drive. This has none. That's tiny for the only storage. Are you willing to live with only about 3-6 games on your system at a time? Sure, things like Photoshop, etc. are fairly small, but things will add up quickly on a drive that small. Gaming from an external drive will not work. It will be too slow or it will be horrendously expensive.

Yes, that should be a fairly awesome system, but can you live with the limitations? At that weight, that size, and that HD limitation, that system isn't going to go far from it's home desk. (Consider you will likely be carrying 5-10 pounds in accessories and food along with that laptop. Weight adds on quickly.) For the price tag I'm guessing that will be on that system (off the top of my head I'd guess close to 2-2.5k, possibly more) you can get a fully upgradeable desktop system. Though less powerful, something like the Rank 3 systems at my site would give you more than enough power, vastly higher storage, upgradeability for future changes, and for only a bit more both systems could be upgraded to dual graphics and tri-monitor and still be under 2.5k. (Though I do need to update the system builds to include a Acer S231HLbid LED backlit monitor instead and change the AMD cards to the series 6.)

If you need something for school, I'd highly recommend you consider something like a Rank 3 system for desktop gaming and the majority of your school work and getting something like the Asus Eee PC 1215N for carrying between classes, doing notes, and lighter school work (such as word documents) or presentations. Getting a 2k desktop AND the Eee PC would give you awesome desktop gaming, and a vastly lighter portable system for school and still very likely be cheaper than that laptop. (If that's what you are looking at doing.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Plane Touched

Yes it is the Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q898

I am using it just to have the biggest laptop I found with awesome resolution to game on. I liked the 18.4" screen honestly and the rest of the specs looked pretty smooth. It is about $1943.83 shipped to the door, approximately.

To the other quetion, it has a 64 gb SSD and a 500 gb HDD. I figured I could toss Rift on the SSD?

Don't know that much about computers that is why I am asking.
    Last edited by skeptic; 11-04-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Plane Touched

Rabb1t it looks like you know your stuff lol.
    I just want it to game on and that it has the biggest screen I could find with best specs that I think I know about. I don't like to be restricted to a desktop because I game in different areas sometimes. Weight doesn't make a difference to me because I have a more portable device for just BS'ing around on. I just was wondering if this is the beast I am thinking it is or am I missing something that makes this lame. I did post the price above...that is shipped to the door.

I only see the one hd on that list. You'd want multi player games on the SSD, as it's about 10x faster and mmogs stream more than single player which do a big load all at once. You can get very similar performance for several hundred less, up to you though. Remember, ram and harddrives are the only upgrades you can do on laptops, they age far more rapidly than desktops on features.

Me, I'd rather go desktop and 1920x1080 x 3 on tri monitor than be portable if I had a choice between the two.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

I am using it just to have the biggest laptop I found with awesome resolution to game on. I liked the 18.4" screen honestly and the rest of the specs looked pretty smooth. It is about $1943.83 shipped to the door, approximately.

To the other quetion, it has a 64 gb SSD and a 500 gb HDD. I figured I could toss Rift on the SSD?

Get a dekstop, seriously. The difference between mobile GPU's and stationary is like night and day. My old GeForce 9800GTX+, 3.6GhZ E8400 (overclocked), 10.000 RPM HDD's and 950MhZ (clocked) DDR2 lowest latency RAM will outperform any laptop on the market. You can get my system for less than 1K$ used.

I have a new laptop of fairly high specs, but use it for nothing more than photography editing on the move and web browsing (and the occasional Heroes of Might & Magic V that turns the plastic to boiling pain)

Plane Touched

I need the laptop because I just don't game in one spot. I understand that I can get more bang for my buck with a desktop but I am in the market for a laptop that will be awesome for gaming. Thanks for everyones input.

Asus G73JW-A1 nearly identical / slightly better stats, Blu-ray, 8 gig, EAX sound, 1 terra storage total, LED backlit, $1730 (not sure if you would pay tax or shipping, I don't at Amazon )
    IMO this is a better choice than the other due to having an LED backlit screen and Blu-ray. If you really want a bigger screen you can pick up an LED backlit 23" for $210.

Asus G73JH-B1 very similar performance with an AMD 5870, same bonuses as above, Blu-ray, LED backlit, etc. $1650

You may want to take a close look at the features. The 1" difference in screen size between the OP and these two will be extremely negligable compared to cool things like an LED backlit screen and Blu-ray. I'd say save the couple hundred and go with one of these.

Remember, no matter what you pick that laptop is going to be getting behind on features the second you buy it. You may want to see if there is anything planned soonish with the Nvidia 5 series (which hasn't yet launched, so it probably isn't coming soon for mobile), the AMD 6 series (though their high-end hasn't launched) and consider if you want any alternate features, such as 3D (there is an Asus 16" with Nvidia 3D Vision for around $1600), or if you wanted to wait and see if anyone makes an Eyefinity out laptop (I heard they were planned but haven't seen any yet.)

I have pretty much always gamed on a laptop, including raiding and pvp - with no difficulties. I travel and like the portability of it. I, too, want a beast laptop.

That one is nice, but it's a Toshiba Qsimo. I had a G15 that went through 5 separate replacements (thank god for extended warranties, which I usually don't buy) and 4 repairs. It just couldn't handle a game running on it - even though it's advertised as a gaming laptop. I would never run it at extreme graphics either, always moderate to low, and it still couldn't handle it.

For the money you are going to pay you might look around at others and read some reviews. Alienware is expensive but good, I hear, and although I've gotten crap for it, I have a 17" Gateway FX that has really been a workhorse. I've never had one minute of problem with this, although it tends to run hot and needs a coolpad underneath it. Otherwise, it's awesome.

My 2 - but I have a Toshiba Satellite as my back up and it's got so many problems I'd never willingly buy that brand again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    Alienware is expensive but good, I hear
    It's what many say. However, for comparable specs to the Asus I posted (at roughly $1600) the Alienware was $2100. I really don't think the name branding is worth an extra $500.

I have an XPS M1730.. its gr8

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    It's what many say. However, for comparable specs to the Asus I posted (at roughly $1600) the Alienware was $2100. I really don't think the name branding is worth an extra $500.
    Yeah, I have to agree - the shiny lid and glowy keyboard is not worth $500 lol

This does look like a nice laptop, but I would personally go with one of the other linked ones. I know a lot of alienware people go for the small, yet beastly laptop, but hook up a monitor to play... I'd personally go for that and get a smaller screen for transporting it - assuming you will be. I'm more of a desktop person myself, but everyone has their preference!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast