+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wow Sucked the oxygen from mmo subs article

Default Wow Sucked the oxygen from mmo subs article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-from-mmo-subs

I think this post is hillarious because he is trying to justify why champions online has gone free to play. It went free to play because champions online was a horrible game and there weren't enough subs to keep it floating. So, they are trying a last ditch effort at something new before they take it down.

As far as everything else he says, I think MMO players are starving. They need something new and different and are looking for the next big thing. I think it will be easy to get people off of wow if a decent mmo will just come out. I haven't seen any of those in years.

Yes, I'm starving.

bump: need good mmo help us!

That article couldn't have been more off imo. I don't think anyone is going to scoff at picking up a sub game, they generally give you a free month. So all said and done you're out 60 bucks on a game you might only play for 30 days, which is different from any other single player game how? Not to mention their outlandish claim that any game without a 50 mil budget isn't viable.

What makes mmo's crash isn't the 15 bucks a month it's the rushed to release, buggy, poorly designed lump of garbage we've seen in the way of releases the last 5 years. If you release a compelling game, that isn't buggy as all get out, and with an end-game other than "roll alts" or "just PvP" you'll do just fine...unfortunately I haven't seen a release like that is a LONG time.

By the way for anyone who cares, PvP for the sake of PvP isn't long term viable either (although DOTA and LoL are pretty darn fun) . I believe you have to have some impact on the game world, take a note from DAoC, relics that affect exp/gold/crafting gains, and DF were HUGE and gave the players a reason to rally to the cause.

I would have continued to sub to Aion for a bit longer if I could "just pvp" but they killed that last patch, so I'm canceling now.

I used to play Unreal Tournament for hours a day and all did was just run around and PK. Nothing else.

I see the same sort of in PvP in MMOs. But when you go down a road Aion has when they marketed it as PvP in the game, then goodbye. Cause I think boring dead-end PvE is more boring than running around killing others. And Aion's PvE, I feel, is their worst link.

The PvP gear was better so that was the long-term. But the system they used killed it for many also. (not going into a lot of detail as I have many times already in other threads.)

I do agree that the reason why WoW has such a following is that other games have just been total trash lately.
    I don't understand the decline of games lately. They, I guess, are trying to copy WoW in the sense of accessibility and ease and end up failing and offer nothing else outside that. It's like don't copy it, Rival it. Find a niche. I guaranty many will leave WoW if there was something to go to. I had a guild in Aion where about one-third of those gamers were from WoW but ended going back cause Aion just failed. So I do believe many WoW players are ready to move, they just have nothing to move to.
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 11-04-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

Default Hear Hear...

I agree with the most of you crazy kittens.

I have dabbled with other MMO but keep going back to WOW...and get hacked off with that.

I like the PvP element of WAR and in some ways prefer that depending on what mood I'm in. I don't think WOW nailed that.

Its time for new blood and Rift could be just that. But can you be all things to all peeps? Questers and brawlers?

Lets get this right groovers!

I pity the Champions Online and STO players who purchased the lifetime subscriptions. When I read they were offering that, it just didn't seem right to me. I thought about how long it would take to pay itself off, and how many MMO's I played in my life for over that period of time. My conclusion lead me to two MMO's: WoW and EverQuest. Given that there had been numerous MMO's at the time, those odds weren't looking good.

Champions Online had great controls, good visuals, great character customization... then you really can't think of anything else that it did well. The party mechanics were atrocious. I still don't think the devs understand their own stat allocation system, and the complete lack of endgame and horrific PvP left many players wanting for more. Make no mistake, the game had lots of potential, but Cryptic is all about shake-and-bake MMO's. Bang them out quick, take your cash, move onto another project.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but going F2P will net them more players--not income. That should keep the paying folks happy longer, but I doubt that game will succeed unless they gut their management structure and start cranking out some real content and polish off game mechanics. Player generated content would help a game like that immensely as well.

The problem is that Devs are to damn afraid to fail creating new concepts and they make the mistake to creat a wow/eq MMO that has the same UI/Endgame/Combat etc...
    The few ones that make the diffrence did not make it well so the devs this days are like "new ideas phobia"...
    Games that did mark a diffrence kinda failed (Age of Conan for example)... Due to the bad lunch or lack of endgame.

Often we see: "WOW CLONE", cause they make the games look like it! Just dont, innovate! Is that hard?

Oy, release a good finished game and the people (and the money) will come. Release a rushed, half finished game thats horrible to play, and you'll crash and burn. The problem is that all these game companies have been doing exactly that for years. Frankly, I'm sick of the garbage. I'd rather pay for a monthly game than have a free game any day SO LONG AS ITS GOOD.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

Kids these days have short attention spans and not enough meds in them. They will jump back to wow when a game is 'unfinshed" i.e. too hard or takes to much skill to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuso View Post
    The problem is that Devs are to damn afraid to fail creating new concepts and they make the mistake to creat a wow/eq MMO that has the same UI/Endgame/Combat etc...
    The few ones that make the diffrence did not make it well so the devs this days are like "new ideas phobia"...
    Games that did mark a diffrence kinda failed (Age of Conan for example)... Due to the bad lunch or lack of endgame.

Often we see: "WOW CLONE", cause they make the games look like it! Just dont, innovate! Is that hard?
    Vanguard is another good example.

Fantastic design of the world, classes, dungeons, combat abilities, game-play, harvesting, crafting, diplomacy, boats, houses, no instances, and a lot more.

But it launched incomplete and never recovered its reputation.

Had Vanguard been successful, I think we'd see fewer developers trying to simplify (WoWify) their games, and more who are willing to be creative and take a chance.

Yes, I know, the soul system and dynamic rifts are a step in that direction, but with so many other features in Rift being simplified it sends the overall game in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by Slyde; 11-04-2010 at 12:46 PM.

The only people who are doing F2P right IMO is Turbine. Everyone else is getting it wrong. Both DDO and now LOTRO F2P made me a subscriber.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    The only people who are doing F2P right IMO is Turbine. Everyone else is getting it wrong. Both DDO and now LOTRO F2P made me a subscriber.
    I have to agree with that. Turbine is the ONLY f2p even remotely worth playing because they're doing it right.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    Vanguard is another good example.

Fantastic design of the world, classes, dungeons, combat abilities, game-play, harvesting, crafting, diplomacy, boats, houses, no instances, and a lot more.

But it launched incomplete and never recovered its reputation.

Had Vanguard been successful, I think we'd see fewer developers trying to simplify (WoWify) their games, and more who are willing to be creative and take a chance.

Yes, I know, the soul system and dynamic rifts are a step in that direction, but with so many other features in Rift being simplified it sends the overall game in the wrong direction.
    The same thing occurred with AoC and WAR. Terrible launches made everyone excited about those IP's quit within the first few weeks. No matter how much those companies can try--in the competitive MMO market--they'll never be able to recover. MMO players are a very demanding breed; if we're not satisfied, we'll quickly find another game that can.

+ Reply to Thread