+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By MissGreen
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Maeloda

Thread: Wildstar closing down! What is coming to mmorpgs?

  1. #1
    Champion MissGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    529

    Default Wildstar closing down! What is coming to mmorpgs?

    I am sure most of you already heard the news that Wildstar is closing up shop. Here is the link from game informer.


    https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09...carbine-closed

    The reason I am posting this here on the Rift forums is because those words of what I read scared me because most of the reasons I see going on as well here in our home, Rift. It opened my eyes to many things that I have recently ignored or have tried to because who wants to see the game they love end up this way?

    I know that Trion has not communicated that great with us in the past and through out the years it has seemed to get better for only short times and then back to silence.......

    I'm starting to really worry about the future of this game and mmorpgs in general. I have worried before but yesterday when I read this article it is now beyond worried, I'm simply damn afraid.

    What do you guys think about this and also the future of the games we love?? I wonder if pc games will go back to single player in the future and only a slight few mmo's will exist......

    It makes me sad to read about this company or any company that has to make this very hard decision. They are however offering refunds for all purchases in June, which I greatly respect.

    I just hope that Trion and other companies takes this as a major learning lesson.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

  2. #2
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,812

    Default

    What major learning lesson?

    MMORPG's made for hardcore raiding are no longer as popular as they use to be so companies that are learning are creating non-MMORPG games to help support all their titles whether players (and devs) appreciate that or not.

    You can't control a market that is outgrowing traditional MMORPG's all together.

    Really sad when a company closes and I hope everyone at Carbine lands on their feet.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 09-07-2018 at 02:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Champion MissGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    What major learning lesson?

    MMORPG's made for hardcore raiding are no longer as popular as they use to be so companies that are learning are creating non-MMORPG games to help support all their titles whether players (and devs) appreciate that or not.

    You can't control a market that is outgrowing traditional MMORPG's all together.

    Really sad when a company closes and I hope everyone at Carbine lands on their feet.
    Hi Kiwi,thank you for your reply. I agree with you to a certain extent. like I said I think the times will go back to single player roles as they once were so huge Diablo being one or even first person shooters. I think the grind is not much appreciated these days as they once were or never were , hahaha, but we all did it. I think the market for sure is changing as in games such as fortnite , don't know if I spelled that correctly, but I hear what your saying.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

  4. #4
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissGreen View Post
    Hi Kiwi,thank you for your reply. I agree with you to a certain extent. like I said I think the times will go back to single player roles as they once were so huge Diablo being one or even first person shooters. I think the grind is not much appreciated these days as they once were or never were , hahaha, but we all did it. I think the market for sure is changing as in games such as fortnite , don't know if I spelled that correctly, but I hear what your saying.
    I get you and I know in text tone is missing so my response was more in curiosity than anything wondering what lessons you hoped they learned. I get why you're worried too, all of us who love this game and always will worry a bit. I had to step away i was worrying too much but I never stopped loving this game. Never will.

    There are just big business wheels always churning because games are so damn expensive, 10 years from now I wonder how games will have evolved to cater to our waning attention spans heh I don't think its just grind etc its also HOW we play - with console games really catching up with triple A quality single/co-op player games, then you have Nintendo Switch.

    I'm a huge fan of Switch and would love every game to get on it including Rift lmao

    Back on topic though I played Wildstar in alpha beta and at launch. I logged in two months ago to see a friends build he has then did the rounds to 10 other builds which was a lot of fun, the building in Wildstar has come such a long way which is heartbreaking but there were so many doubts for Wildstar before it even launched because of its market target, it lasted longer than some thought.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    Wildstar shutting down in 2018, 4 years after release but then plummeting rate of development since, is not some shock to the genre.

    Honestly, even GW2 having another Living Story instead of a major expansion, is bigger news - albeit not even necessarily a terrible sign for the game itself.

    Will miss the housing that was supposedly some of the best.

  6. #6
    Champion MissGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I get you and I know in text tone is missing so my response was more in curiosity than anything wondering what lessons you hoped they learned. I get why you're worried too, all of us who love this game and always will worry a bit. I had to step away i was worrying too much but I never stopped loving this game. Never will.

    There are just big business wheels always churning because games are so damn expensive, 10 years from now I wonder how games will have evolved to cater to our waning attention spans heh I don't think its just grind etc its also HOW we play - with console games really catching up with triple A quality single/co-op player games, then you have Nintendo Switch.

    I'm a huge fan of Switch and would love every game to get on it including Rift lmao

    Back on topic though I played Wildstar in alpha beta and at launch. I logged in two months ago to see a friends build he has then did the rounds to 10 other builds which was a lot of fun, the building in Wildstar has come such a long way which is heartbreaking but there were so many doubts for Wildstar before it even launched because of its market target, it lasted longer than some thought.
    I actually was thinking of bringing up the bridge to console games and pc and I think in a way it could do well however for console they are suffering. For Example, pc gamers have an advantage over console gamers because we can program aka configure way more than them with such games and that is a advantage. I was playing fortnite with a friend on xbox and he asked me how I was building so fast and I said I can adapt actions to certain keys on my keyboard. He was a bit upset, so I think until console meets the same, this will always be an issue.

    I also agree about the market target for Wildstar, but over all my point is this and I said this in another thread that perhaps timing is everything with all these new mmo's because if you think about it in hindsight, the ones that truly have excelled are the ones that launched years ago at the same time. Perhaps I'm wrong on this but it's just an observation. Guild wars two does not count because they did launch their first GW around the same time as these massive triple a games back in the day, therefore it leaves me to the assumption that , that is the sole reason they are successful today.

    I agree also about games being so expensive still, I mean that says so much in itself. Havent we evolved enough to lower costs of entertainment? Of course not and its sad. Over the years games are just getting more and more expensive, one would think differently after all the tech we have now a days.I mean it just seems again like massive cooperation's operating these games and the CEO gets all the money meanwhile the little man in his cooperation struggles and walks away because he know he is being screwed over. I think its safe to say this is becoming the norm , everywhere and the sad thing about it is money is changing hands to the wrong man.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

  7. #7
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissGreen View Post
    I actually was thinking of bringing up the bridge to console games and pc and I think in a way it could do well however for console they are suffering. For Example, pc gamers have an advantage over console gamers because we can program aka configure way more than them with such games and that is a advantage. I was playing fortnite with a friend on xbox and he asked me how I was building so fast and I said I can adapt actions to certain keys on my keyboard. He was a bit upset, so I think until console meets the same, this will always be an issue.

    I also agree about the market target for Wildstar, but over all my point is this and I said this in another thread that perhaps timing is everything with all these new mmo's because if you think about it in hindsight, the ones that truly have excelled are the ones that launched years ago at the same time. Perhaps I'm wrong on this but it's just an observation. Guild wars two does not count because they did launch their first GW around the same time as these massive triple a games back in the day, therefore it leaves me to the assumption that , that is the sole reason they are successful today.

    I agree also about games being so expensive still, I mean that says so much in itself. Havent we evolved enough to lower costs of entertainment? Of course not and its sad. Over the years games are just getting more and more expensive, one would think differently after all the tech we have now a days.I mean it just seems again like massive cooperation's operating these games and the CEO gets all the money meanwhile the little man in his cooperation struggles and walks away because he know he is being screwed over. I think its safe to say this is becoming the norm , everywhere and the sad thing about it is money is changing hands to the wrong man.
    You may have misunderstood and I wouldn't say you're wrong but maybe incomplete on some thoughts without info which is why I thought I'd come say hi to help if I can to round off some worries.

    Firstly the expense I was referring to was how much it costs to MAKE games. MMORPG'S are so expensive compared to other games. Immersion, 3D making models of everything to be seen inside and out from the top to the bottom - every single thing from a blade of grass to a mailbox and onto a big boss. Then you introduce players characters and all the things they can do, housing, pets, mounts. It's pretty phenomenal if you think about it - that's before launch then you have translations, platforms, servers, server upkeep, security, wages, marketing etc

    Speaking of wages and the other thread. ArcheAge lost two well known team members so I am aware from a thread from one of them on reddit that his role was meant to be temporary. That it lasted so long was testament to the commitment Trion makes to their team. Trove also had big content update as well as Defiance 2050 so there were probably extra hands on board just for it which is natural for any game. Not everyone hired in the gaming industry (or other industries) is hired in full time positions, that a person from QA tweeted about it made it more significant catching the eyes of gaming media.

    Back to expenses and relevance. Players are wanting faster and better all the time, technology is advancing, more support/ is needed as people become more knowledgeable, esport, cross-platform, VR, livestream integration - all these things cost to develop for. Whats cool though is we have a ton of free games out there, mobile is a lot cheaper and free to play helps people on a budget but those costs I spoke about earlier they don't change for MMORPG's especially since their worlds are persistent.

    As far as earlier released games go that does seem the case, culture is as important as a game itself. Making those things that build a culture stay relevant seems to be key. I watched the WoW BFA Horde drama unfold, it made me think of how relevant factions are - was removing the relevance of Defiant and Guardian a mistake? Population wise no doubt it wasn't but culture wise I think it hurt us as a community more than we realize. Guilds have become insignificant, as well as classes - now they can all do every role. Those things that cultures are built around.

    I'm no more certain of Rift's future than you are or MMORPG's as a whole but I hope things do get better for us players/developers and no matter what we all land on our feet.

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara Ongar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    First off all, I think it's important to understand that you do not always get a sequel or spiritual successor to what was once popular. Sure you get a new Call of Duty every year, but if you want something like lets say Half Life you do not get anything new (excluding the fan remake Black Mesa or Story Mods). Because the art of making games with a sophicasted level design fell out of fashion in favour of more cinematic experiences.

    Likewise MMORPGs with all their grind, got replaced by Mobas and recently Battle Royals which offer Quick Play. Instead of preparing most of the time like for example gearing up for a raid, in a Moba or Battle Royals, you do always "what matters". In other words MMORPGs are 90 % preparation for great things, while Mobas/Battle Royals let you do great things nonstop.

    Add on top of that streaming and eSports. MMORPGs are not made for that. Instead MMORPGs are made for guilds. But guilds may leave for other MMORPGs or even other, more popular genres. Instead of having to manage rosters of 20++ people like in a MMORPG raiding guild, 5 friends do the trick in a MoBa or Battle Royal.

    In the case of Wildstar it was targeted at "hardcore players". At the same time it had zero eSports going on and some might say "childish" and comic like art style. The whole package didn't fit together.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched Sails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissGreen View Post
    I am sure most of you already heard the news that Wildstar is closing up shop. Here is the link from game informer.


    https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09...carbine-closed

    The reason I am posting this here on the Rift forums is because those words of what I read scared me because most of the reasons I see going on as well here in our home, Rift. It opened my eyes to many things that I have recently ignored or have tried to because who wants to see the game they love end up this way?

    I know that Trion has not communicated that great with us in the past and through out the years it has seemed to get better for only short times and then back to silence.......

    I'm starting to really worry about the future of this game and mmorpgs in general. I have worried before but yesterday when I read this article it is now beyond worried, I'm simply damn afraid.

    What do you guys think about this and also the future of the games we love?? I wonder if pc games will go back to single player in the future and only a slight few mmo's will exist......

    It makes me sad to read about this company or any company that has to make this very hard decision. They are however offering refunds for all purchases in June, which I greatly respect.

    I just hope that Trion and other companies takes this as a major learning lesson.
    Just b/c some games exist on life support and end doesn't mean that there aren't other mmos out there. The genre for mmos is changing but not obsolete. Maybe Wildstar's sky is falling, GW1, ESO, WOW, BD aren't.
    May the six bless the one, on the 1-2. For the vigil has bailed and forsaken all.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts