+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Soooo...WoW has rifts?

Default Soooo...WoW has rifts?

Apparently, the Cataclysm prologue will feature rifts now ;p They'll randomly spawn elementals in zones all over the world, and come in four different varieties: wind, earth, water, and fire. Sound a little familiar?

From MMO-Champion:

Cataclysm Prologue - Elemental Invasions Started
    The elemental invasions just started, new quests NPCs are available in capital cities and elementals will randomly spawn in zones!

* New quest NPCs are available in capital cities.
    * Elementals will randomly spawn in questing zones, destroying the rifts in those zones will reward you with Tripping the Rifts.
    * Elemental Invasion on Wowpedia.org

Tripping the Rifts achievement

* Rifts appears everywhere, including Northrend and Outland. (Apparently, this isn't true anymore and you might be able to get your achievement by destroying rifts anywhere, you won't be able to loot lower levels Mysterious Objects)
    * Rifts spawn at the beginning of each hour (01:00AM, 02:00AM, etc) pretty much everywhere in the zone. If you arrive in a zone and can't find rifts, you're most likely too late and it's better to just go AFK while you wait for the next full hour.
    * You have to kill rifts of your own levels to get the achievements, if you're level 80 look for them in Northrend.
    * Rifts are destroyed by killing elementals, each elemental death lowers the health of the rift.
    * The Mysterious Object looted from rifts gives a daily quest with gold/XP reward.
    Obviously rifts aren't a unique concept, and I can see it being a very fun event. At the same time, I just thought that this is juuuuuust what Rift needs to look even more like a WoW-clone /facepalm.

Anyway, those of ya playing WoW, have fun with it!

How many are going to come to this forum and claim we "copied" WoW? /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    How many are going to come to this forum and claim we "copied" WoW? /facepalm
    Yeaaah that's what I thought =/

They did a similar event at the opening of Ahn Qiraj. Random spawns of think undead were spawning everywhere. You could look on map and see the invasions and where to go to. Although it was a very very basic event. There was nothing really special about them and the events died off fairly fast.

I think you got some interesting gear here and there to fight off undead. If I enabled my WoW account I think I still have some of that undead gear in my bank. The mechanics are there for them to do this. I just am pretty sure all they have to do is change a little coding around and re-enable it.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

I thought this was hilarious. AND I'm quite a conspiracy theorist, so I'm just going to assume that Blizz knows something about the market that we can only speculate on.

If this *is* some kind of tactic by Blizz regarding Rift (not saying it actually is), then I anticipate it failing, as players who love this event find out that they can have it all the time in a far more polished form in this game. "LOL RIFT COPIED WOW" will happen, but it won't matter.

I'll take off the tin foil hat now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoneNeo View Post
    They did a similar event at the opening of Ahn Qiraj. Random spawns of think undead were spawning everywhere. You could look on map and see the invasions and where to go to. Although it was a very very basic event. There was nothing really special about them and the events died off fairly fast.
    yeah it was crap.

difference between wow's rifts and Rift being of course...
    - in Rift the whole game is named after and based upon Rifts... WoW is a crap event that happens
    - Rift has taken years to create around the concept of Rifts... WoW probably jimmied a few graphics and chucked it in last minute

lol Rifts in WoW, im going to go to blizzard and complain they stole Rifts:PoT idea O.o
    Rhyli@Hailol

Just tell the WoW fanbois that they got it from Aion and once the xpac goes live they will be pvp rifts. Then sit back and watch the chaos :P /popcorn

Elemental invasion rifts date back to 2005 in World of Warcraft, and the idea of elemental planes dates back to the original EverQuest and to many other fantasy settings prior to that. I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, other than to imply that ideas are being stolen from Rift. If so, that is an inaccurate assessment based on available facts.
    Sir J. Robert Westwood of Compton, CA

Tired of seeing wow gank from others. tired of seeing wow die-hards think wow started everyting under the sun.

I heard wow made the bible too *grin* wheres my hammer.

Have an ale!

Quote Originally Posted by MyJordans View Post
    Elemental invasion rifts date back to 2005 in World of Warcraft, and the idea of elemental planes dates back to the original EverQuest and to many other fantasy settings prior to that. I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, other than to imply that ideas are being stolen from Rift. If so, that is an inaccurate assessment based on available facts.
    All of the story elements involved are quite old. That isn't the thing to me. What is the thing is..

-end of the world cultists
    -rift invasions all over, threatening the capital cities
    -elemental invasions at that, wishing to spread over Azeroth

All of these together make me go and

Oh great im not playing this wow clone!!!!!!

WoW has a long history of stealing ideas, nothing new really.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    All of the story elements involved are quite old. That isn't the thing to me. What is the thing is..

-end of the world cultists
    -rift invasions all over, threatening the capital cities
    -elemental invasions at that, wishing to spread over Azeroth

All of these together make me go and
    All of that has existed for some time in Warcraft lore dating back to Warcraft 2. The Twilight's Hammer cult. This has been a long time coming in the setting. It fits the setting perfectly and is not something shoe-horned in because they saw some idea they liked in some other game.

Blizzard has borrowed plenty of ideas, and frankly so has everyone else and there is nothing wrong with that, but this isn't really one of them.
    Sir J. Robert Westwood of Compton, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MyJordans View Post
    All of that has existed for some time in Warcraft lore dating back to Warcraft 2. The Twilight's Hammer cult. This has been a long time coming in the setting. It fits the setting perfectly and is not something shoe-horned in because they saw some idea they liked in some other game.

Blizzard has borrowed plenty of ideas, and frankly so has everyone else and there is nothing wrong with that, but this isn't really one of them.
    Jeez, it only made me do not

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast