+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Rifleman
  • 1 Post By Mordrahan
  • 2 Post By Andysodandy
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 2 Post By Salvatrix
  • 1 Post By Balidin

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: The death of loot boxes -- and now you know why

Default The death of loot boxes -- and now you know why

Soulwalker

Default I have a super strong feeling rift lootboxes are not linear

I played a lot during SL. Never won a single grand prize from lootboxes. I also had used my Ascend a friend code a lot and gained a good amount of referral codes.

I opened a fair share of boxes with weekly patron gifts and opening a fair share of the boxes gained from mobs before unstable cache anomalies replaced them. I never won anything.

Then I jumped on the AA bandwagon and left RIFT for a few years. (didn't go back after AA died)

I come back to find my referral coins relatively high. And I got patron started up (due to leaving myself enough plat to buy a couple REX) and got a patron loot box.

I opened my patron loot box, won an Azure snail mount. From the first box after my 3+ year break. This was within my first hour of coming back. Edit: Well, I did level up to about 63, then run to the new capital about a year before this story, but besides that, I hadn't logged on since I left for AA.

So I decided, for the heck of it, I'll go ahead and buy a crabnarok box with my RAF coins. Open that and I got the mount as well. I was 2 for 2 grand prize winner in the first hour I logged back in.
    That seems waaaaay too good to be true. I've opened hundreds of boxes back in SL and never won anything, now I had won 2 in a row.

Of course, I went and spent my RAF coins on 100 more crabnarok loot boxes and won another.

But for curiosity sake even if it's irrelevant now (as they seem to have done a major overhaul of the loot boxes), I do have a photo of all the drops it gave. This is only the 100 boxes drops.

It just seemed too good to be true. First and second box were winners, then 1 of the next 100 were as well.
    I can't prove that it wasn't just dumb luck, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The death of loot boxes -- and now you know why-100-crabanok-lootboxes.jpg  
    Last edited by burnskate; 01-28-2018 at 01:09 AM.
    Czaar@Laethys

I know several players who won mounts on the first box they bought the first day they came out.
    And we have seen many random things having a big loot chance on first hours/days, then dropping to nothing with time.
    I always though this was not true random, but had a bonus for first purchases/long time gone players/players with max loyalty tiers. No way to prove it.

I really hope lockboxes will be gone for good, but I'm sure game companies will find a way to continue...

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Shadowlander

It seems quite apparent they have the chance at loot very, very high when they release something and then lower it as time passes. It is the same way you train an animal as in you reward the animal with instant gratification in the early stages and then reduce the rewards as time goes on.

Another ugly method trion uses and needs to be removed asap

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andysodandy View Post
    It seems quite apparent they have the chance at loot very, very high when they release something and then lower it as time passes. It is the same way you train an animal as in you reward the animal with instant gratification in the early stages and then reduce the rewards as time goes on.

I highly doubt this is the case at all and this is pure speculation, its a psychological thing that excitement dies not chances after you get something or you see more and more with the item you are after hence why the chase is so exciting. Loot boxes are 100% about chase items.

Shadowlander

err kiwi check other past threads... they reduced the chance of decent returns by a tonne once the initial intro phase is done

RIFT Fan Site Operator

You could just google the psychology of loot boxes or take the time to have in depth conversation over a long period of time with various industry professionals well informed on the subject. While there recognize you are accusing a company of something very unethical without any actual evidence, you are welcome to share that evidence if this is not the case instead of sending people to other speculative threads.

As far as Rift goes I've bought enough mount and dimension loot boxes also sat on the pts with dimension loot boxes before they release and after (you could go on there also and open thousands) to see how random rng actually is.

Edit: It will be interesting to see how legislation goes for lootboxes in games. In recent developments Apple now requires it's games to disclose odds. I am curious if children can be used in this subject because they require access to a parents credit card which is a whole other kettle of fish, Also curious if lootboxes can legally be considered gambling when you aren't betting money to win money. Following updates for this closely.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-29-2018 at 06:26 AM.

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andysodandy View Post

This is absolutely untrue.
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Loot boxes are horrible and I dislike them immensly in most forms. The one I am kinda ok with is the Dota style boxes where they have say 10 hero outfits and you get one at random with each further purchase removing the one you already have from the loot table. Simple and pretty transparent.

I believe that the Trion Loot boxes have a low drop rate for the mounts that people want. This is of course obvious because the whole point is that you buy lots of them. I believe Tacitus though and do no believe they inflate the drop rate when they luanch a box then reduce it over time. The drop rate is just low and RNG is RNG as they say. The change to what you get from a box with the new UI was definitly an improvement so you always get at least 5 things which was better than the sometimes 2 items you got before.

Two things Trion could do though:
    • Not have every new mount created by the great Art team be introduced through a lock box. Add them to Reputations, Boss drops etc or Quest lines. The jetpack in VP is a good step but we won't talk about intel farm
    • Release a break down off the odds. I doubt they would ever do this unless they were forced to as I cam imagine the storm that would happen when people find out the odds.

Ultimately though Rift has other much greater problems at the moment than lock boxes which need to be addressed before anything else.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    It seems you get bonus loot every time you have those bonuses running during the holidays and that is when new content is being released so some people gets tons more loot like essences and better drops from being patron, using the bonuses from the loyalty map and stacking with the live bonuses. Even the boxes from logging in dailies gave me some good service loot like experience pots which I usually never.

Try and farm essences now. You will laugh at the drop rate. Att hat time it was like 1 every 3 and we throw away many of the bad ones. Now you are lucky to get a bad one with good crit power/sp. Also, if you did not realize it also seems like during this time that you can get more successful crits to your planar fragments and more overlord drops than usual but in this case that sample size is way too small so it can just be rng for this.

One of the reasons why the game isn't so populated is how you are handling this situation. We have a bunch of people who took advantage of the bonus loot, bought the pack and they played for like a week or two hardcore now raid log once or twice a week to clear BOS.

Then we compare to our slowest gearing group and the difference can be as much as 5 - 6 months to catchup with the pay to win or progress faster group who only burned out in that week or two. That difference is huge. Guilds seem empty for most of the week and the game feels dead.

How can you fix this? Lower the disparity between bonus drop rates for f2p and pay to progress faster so that those who do pay are not so far ahead.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 02-03-2018 at 07:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread