+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rlowe47
  • 1 Post By Liitke

Thread: Losing Player Trust - Extra Credits

Default Losing Player Trust - Extra Credits

Found this video by Extra Credits interesting. It touches mostly on the lootbox nonsense from EA, but I found the conversation about players giving up on playing a game after losing trust in its developers interesting. I'm not going to speak for most people, but it's how I have felt about Rift.

I've purposefully put this in Off Topic as it's not directly related to Rift, but rather a conversation on the game industry as a whole.

What do you think? Have you had a similar situation happen with a game, not just Rift, losing your trust? Have you played that game longer than others through multiple trust-damaging offenses? Or is this video not similar to your gaming experiences at all?
    Irlowe@Deepwood Iirlowe@Deepwood Urlowe@Deepwood Primalowe@Deepwood Rlowe@Deepwood
    <Halcyon>

Rift Disciple

I was a long time fan of Blizzard games. Started with Diablo all the way through the various starceafts, to WoW, then to D3.

The Real money AH, and it's necessity for progression, was such a turn off I still refuse to play any Blizzard games.

If games are F2P the presence of micro transactions bothers me less, I get it, gotta pay the employees. But I do miss the days of buying a game and owning it.

Soulwalker

Ive experienced this with two games in particular the first being a mmorpg, Star Wars: the old republic. I played since beta, it felt (it was) rushed to coincide with real world events and while the storyline was great the actual MMORPG was not. There was almost no PVP presence and it was also broken due to lack of balance. Everyone ran the same build. There was no end game content. They pretty much ignored their playerbase. Inevitably they started to listen and it did get better but it happened far too late. They lost 80% of their subscribers in the first year and were forced I to the crappy freetoplay microtransaction category. My entire guild left to join me in GW2 and we haven't left. (A game that continues to deliver) swtor felt as if it was just a single player sequel to kotor1/2. There was plenty of other problems but the main one being broken promises from the dev team that kept not delivering any content.

The other game is a mobile game, summoners war. This game generates insane amounts of revenue. Literally insane. None of the countless millions of dollars they make goes to anything worth while. They continue to ignore their top player base (and noobs), ignore balance issues, never add new content, and instead just push out more extremely overpriced garbage while nerfing the game to extend the grind and force more people into spending money. It's blatant that thier only concern is to rake in more money cemented by the fact that the company instead of developing their game puts their resources into making exact cookie cutter clones of the game, slapping new skins and a name, and then puts it out there to reel in more suckers.

I cannot comment about rift as I am not a diehard player. My time is spent in GW2. I just recently returned to rift after 4/5 years. Theres lots of aspects I like about the game but there are very obvious problems Ive noticed in the last two weeks I've been logging in. The main of those problems seems to be lack of a dev team or presence of trion. The forum seems to be filled with "suggestions, fixes, problems, x is what's wrong with Y and can be fixed with Z" and there's no devs to be found. The threads they do acknowledge are pointless. There's no communication. Or at least its hard to find. The few things I've read recently by someone associated with rift seem to be ostensible. Over the many many years of online gaming one thing I know for certain is all of the best games I've ever played have had a dev team that worked closely, communicated, and listened to its playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    I was a long time fan of Blizzard games. Started with Diablo all the way through the various starceafts, to WoW, then to D3.

The Real money AH, and it's necessity for progression, was such a turn off I still refuse to play any Blizzard games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liitke View Post
    Ive experienced this with two games in particular the first being a mmorpg, Star Wars: the old republic. I played since beta, it felt (it was) rushed to coincide with real world events and while the storyline was great the actual MMORPG was not. There was almost no PVP presence and it was also broken due to lack of balance. Everyone ran the same build. There was no end game content. They pretty much ignored their playerbase. Inevitably they started to listen and it did get better but it happened far too late. They lost 80% of their subscribers in the first year and were forced I to the crappy freetoplay microtransaction category. My entire guild left to join me in GW2 and we haven't left. (A game that continues to deliver) swtor felt as if it was just a single player sequel to kotor1/2. There was plenty of other problems but the main one being broken promises from the dev team that kept not delivering any content.
    It's interesting that you both brought up games that I feel have made a bit of a comeback. D3 revoked that AH stuff and it seems that their fans are clamoring for more season updates. Maybe it's less than what it could have been. Personally, the lack of D2 feeling was the reason I stopped. Path of Exile seemed so much closer to what I felt a sequel should be.

I saw a few people playing SWTOR in the college dorms a year or so ago. This could be only because the movies were coming out and that helped its popularity. It was just weird to see since I hadn't touched that game since a month or so after its release.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    If games are F2P the presence of micro transactions bothers me less, I get it, gotta pay the employees. But I do miss the days of buying a game and owning it.
    A recent Giant Bombcast I was listening to asked the question "should we be charging more for games?" They don't really focus on MMORPGs, but AAA titles seem to be releasing Season Passes in order to continue development. In general, video games seem to be the lowest cost per hours of enjoyment in entertainment media. Maybe they should charge more for games to get back to the "buying a game and owning it."
    Irlowe@Deepwood Iirlowe@Deepwood Urlowe@Deepwood Primalowe@Deepwood Rlowe@Deepwood
    <Halcyon>

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rlowe47 View Post
    It's interesting that you both brought up games that I feel have made a bit of a comeback. D3 revoked that AH stuff and it seems that their fans are clamoring for more season updates. Maybe it's less than what it could have been. Personally, the lack of D2 feeling was the reason I stopped. Path of Exile seemed so much closer to what I felt a sequel should be.

I saw a few people playing SWTOR in the college dorms a year or so ago. This could be only because the movies were coming out and that helped its popularity. It was just weird to see since I hadn't touched that game since a month or so after its release.

A recent Giant Bombcast I was listening to asked the question "should we be charging more for games?" They don't really focus on MMORPGs, but AAA titles seem to be releasing Season Passes in order to continue development. In general, video games seem to be the lowest cost per hours of enjoyment in entertainment media. Maybe they should charge more for games to get back to the "buying a game and owning it."
    Well like I said swtor did inevitably fix a lot of issues and did add more content. Their f2p advertising campaign coupled with the movie release did snag a few players but it came far too late. They had a huge playerbase on release but its really hard to bounce back from losing 80% of your subscribers in the first year. Word of mouth is powerful and with all those hundreds of thousands leaving with a sour taste in their mouth and spreading their dislike it was doomed. If they didn't rush the release and instead added some end game content it might of never failed.

+ Reply to Thread