+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Loot Box Legislation

Quote Originally Posted by HeLLBoY77 View Post
    Lol exactly and its an open subject with them, aint hiding it in hopes theyll come to me if they feel the need.
    A good father a good person...awfull pvpr..ha ha just kidding m8.

I think that not only lootboxes but that "micropay" stuff should be looked.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    GCDDisplay - Tweaked a simple way to track your gcd.
    RiftMeter for 4.3, Last update: 07/12/2017
    Some Gadgets tweaks,Updated BiSCaL for 4.3
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Apparently Chris Lee and his team are already drafting the bills necessary to legislate against loot box gambling, interesting stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WxcGYvvgJo

Chris Lee posted another video this week which among other things highlights six states that are now actively investigating legislation surrounding loot boxes plus Apple has changed its ToS on the Apple store to make it compulsory for game publishers to disclose percentages for every item contained within loot boxes.

I think apple is pretty much preparing for what it sees as the inevitable legislation against loot boxes by doing the right thing and generating good press for itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xURhmqwhpc&t=1s

massivelyop.com/2017/12/21/apple-now-demands-lootbox-odds-disclosures-from-appstore-games/

Plane Walker

How would this potentially affect games like Rift?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgi of Prydain View Post
    I'd imagine loot boxes will lose the RNG aspects to them but remain.

I could also see game companies supplement their income with in game ads. EA a while back was looking into this.

As for online games like rift I could see a return to subscriptions.

Then there's also more paid DLC with each game but the DLCs would be smaller in scope.
    Last edited by Skiye; 12-21-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgi of Prydain View Post
    It really depends how far legislation goes if the games industry doesn't self regulate.

Potentially it could mean games with loot boxes (like Rift) will have there age rating increased to 21, and other measures similar to what Apple has implemented.
    Last edited by C00lit; 12-22-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post
    I'd imagine loot boxes will lose the RNG aspects to them but remain.

I could also see game companies supplement their income with in game ads. EA a while back was looking into this.

As for online games like rift I could see a return to subscriptions.

Then there's also more paid DLC with each game but the DLCs would be smaller in scope.
    I'm not against ads IF you can remove them when you are a subscriber player.

And I already pay for RIFT (patron) and would pay more for NOT random things.
    Lootboxes only reason to exist is the gambling addiction they feed on. Without the random factor they would disappear. You only would get packs, like the ones we have for this event.

Age rating 21 is not a solution, removing the lottery is.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

It seems the US government is increasing the pressure concerning lootbox regulation, Washington Senator Kevin Ranker has put forward a bill to determine whether lootboxes/lockboxes in video games constitute gambling under state law.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/01/26/wa...n-in-new-bill/

The German Commision is now investigating lootboxes as a University of Hamburg study has concluded they show typical gambling market features.

The move is apparently based on an as-yet unpublished University of Hamburg study that analyzes video game sales and business models, ultimately determining what most online gamers already know: that such games actively target whales, who are responsible for the majority of their revenue. This, the researchers reportedly conclude, is “a typical feature of gambling markets.”
    Last edited by C00lit; 02-07-2018 at 08:19 AM.

The Swedish Civil Affairs authority has also announced they are looking into lootboxes and state they may have legislation in place by January 2019.

The fact German authorities are involved now is probably going to cause a snowball effect across the whole EU.

Last edited by Dizbo; 02-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Today Hawaii legislators have introduced four new bills designed to limit the implementation of electronic gambling systems (aka loot boxes),

One pair of bills, House Bill 2686 and Senate Bill 3024, would prohibit the sale of any game featuring a system wherein players can purchase a randomized reward using real money to anyone younger than 21 years old.
    The other two bills, House Bill 2727 and Senate Bill 3025, would require video game publishers to prominently label games containing such randomized purchase systems, as well as disclose the probability rates of receiving each loot box reward.
    Another nail in the coffin of loot boxes

I want loot boxes to get hit hard, Then we may see the return of quality games where devs focuses on contents to keep players base rather then locking everything good inside the boxes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast