+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I am so <censored> sick of all of the people saying addons ruined WoW

Soulwalker

Exclamation I am so <censored> sick of all of the people saying addons ruined WoW

The thing that "ruined" PvE in WoW for non-min/maxers was enrage timers. Pre-BC, when ONE fight out of ten had a time limit, you needed to maximize DPS. This meant kicking people who consistently died or were just generally bad at following a rotation that a monkey could be trained to do.

All of these problems stem from the mindset that Blizzard gained at one point where "If they can't kill the boss in 5 minutes, how could they ever possibly manage to kill the boss?"

Enrage timers single-handedly turned the game from focused on managing fight mechanics into a PUSH NUMBERS TO THE SKY LIKE THE FIST OF THE NORTH STAR accounting simulator, where the highest returns from the lowest investment was the ONLY way to go.

Gearscore further killed PvE in WoW (again, for non-hardcore players) because all the baddies started thinking that gear = skill, whereas I know several people that would consistently top damage/healing meters without having the best gear while simultaneously executing fights to perfection.
    (Oh, and to you people saying "waaah but X guild wouldn't recruit me because I didn't have enough gear," have you ever thought to yourself that maybe, just maybe, that gear was used not to show how much dps you could do, but as a trophy for your accomplishments? When you're dealing with 20 applications per day, the guy who has 4 drops from Archimonde is likely not as big of a risk for dying to gravity/doomfire as you, the person who has nothing from Hyjal, and is thus the better person to pick when you need to fill that last raid slot as fast as possible.)

Damage meters, however, did not kill WoW. Threat meters did not. Deadly Boss Mods (even though now it's robotizing garbage that plays the game for you) did not.
    Damage meters did not create cookie cutter builds, either, nor did Gearscore, threat meters, DBM, auctioneer, carbonite, WoWhead, or peggle.

What created cookie cutter builds was Blizzard's constant fetish of adding enrage timers to EVERY boss fight and their inability to balance the game around any build that didn't have all its eggs in one basket. Just look at Cataclysm, where you're FORCED to spec 31/x/x before you can even put a point in another tree.

What you people should be hoping for, rather than NO MODS EVER THEY ARE THE DEVIL, is that the devs at Trion don't all simultaneously go into comas and force us to deal with their younger siblings/children making game development decisions for them. Content doesn't need to be a race against the clock all the time, and mechanics that make fights challenging are infinitely more engaging, interesting, and fun than "If I don't switch targets within the next .1 seconds the group wipes" or "I must one one one one two precisely on cooldown every single time or else we're all doomed." That's not to say that a race against the clock is bad every once in a while, it's just bad when it's EXTREMELY overused (as is any mechanic, see: Get out of the fire. compare: void zone, defile, shadow trap, malleable goo, etc. contrast: Malygos air phase (get under the bubble), Hodir (get on the ice), Predator (GET TO DA CHOPPA!), etc)

Regarding cookie cutter builds, hope that there are people on the dev team capable of actually playing their game with the same passion we players do, to the point where they actually WANT to come up with a spec and test it just because they can and not because they're employed to do so, so they can actually understand why build Z is overpowered to the point where it's the only option, and builds A-Y are underpowered to the point of being useless.

I don't know about the rest of you, but last week for about 3 days before the servers came up, I not only ran through every class' trees multiple times on the ZAM soul builder, but I made builds for every class, versions for level 30 and level 50. I currently have 16 Firefox tabs open with various builds. I want this game to be as open as humanly possible to new choices and builds as much as anyone, but I know the only way to avoid build pigeon-holing is by having developers that actually DEVELOP their game, rather than just sticking a twig in a stagnated pool of water and calling it an update.

To wrap this up: I want damage meters/certain other addons in the game (not gearscore (it's pointless and stupid) or play-the-game-for-you DBM (although I'd be fine with a mod that simply showed boss cooldowns like DBM used to, so I could play proactively rather than reactively)). Not so I can kick idiots from parties, but so that I can spend hours a day when I'm not raiding/PvPing/running around the world like a headless chicken rift hunting to perfect my build and rotation. I don't care if you do the same because I can't reasonably expect you to. You're not me, and I know that I can't hold the same ludicrously high expectations I have for myself over everyone else. But I DO want them for my personal benefit and growth as a player.

Champion of Telara Hackiedoodle's Avatar

We really don't need more threads on this.
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by 1337skillzave View Post
    Things no one cares about anymore
    I agree, no one cares.

Shadowlander

Why do PvErs need Addons to make a already easy task... well easier, cant you guys just come cry to forums for game breaking changes and nerfs already? do you really need programs to make your mind numbing tasks... well more mind numbing?

I mean a timer to tell you when to press A,B and C? a meter to tell you when you might over-agro? i just dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    I agree, no one cares.
    Massive QQ post about people QQing crits You for 1,000,000 damage!

Shield of Telara

This is not WoW - Go back to wow to complain !

Quote Originally Posted by Hackiedoodle View Post
    We really don't need more threads on this.
    so why you bumpin it?

Your making me yawn..... you wouldn't like me when I yawn!

BM

I agree, no one cares.
    QFT

Although, no enrage timers would be interesting.

Funny how Blizzard said add-ons ruined a lot of their raid design because it oversimplified encounters.

Deadly Boss Mods anyone?

I agree, no one cares.
    If you didn't care, why bother even posting? Just don't post and it'll die out on its own.

These all list out very good points. Personally I hope enrage timers don't make it into this game. A long boss fight actually makes it a little bit more fun. A truly epic boss doesn't and shouldn't take five minutes to do... The add ons of WoW didn't ruin it, the player base using them did. With children spamming Recount all the time, it truly made it a bit of a crapfest. However, I would like DPS meters in the game seeing as it would allow me to gauge how well I am doing per fight and overall in the instance/in Rifts/in the wild. I'm all for the ideas of add ons. They strengthen the community and help novice programmers gain a foothold in an industry that relies heavily on programming. You never know, the next Trion programmer could be some add on developer.

This is not the place you are looking for.... Move along
    "There are brave men out there.. let's go kill them.."

Rift Chaser

I agree, no one cares.
    This!

Thread spamming is bad mmmmk

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kemble View Post
    This is not WoW - Go back to wow to complain !
    What a delightfully new and interesting insight you've provided.

bol
    Rift Disciple

ok ..so stay playing WoW
    all the WoW fanbois want to turn rift into WoW /sad
    Last edited by bol; 02-03-2011 at 06:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast