+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: WoW only has 1.5 million active subscribers right now (with proof)

Shadowlander

Default WoW only has 1.5 million active subscribers right now (with proof)

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php

Back in 2010 during WotLK WoW had 12 million active subscribers but right now with Legion the population has fallen to less than 2 million. This is what happens when a good company join forces with a powerhungry and greedy company called Activision. Millions of people used to love WoW until MoP but with WoD and now with Legion blizzard has completely scattered and betrayed their loyal playerbase. Majority of the gamers nowadays don't play WoW anymore. This is ultimately good news for the online gaming industry because when WoW will finally die then other good games like Rift will rise and shine.

i really really doubt that RIFT would rise and shine as much as we should expect it to, Trion would probably advertise it hard with very big promising expectations and when it lurks the players in, majority would leave quickly by finding out what the state of the game is truly at.

Plane Touched

a) i dont see any proof
    b) most other mmo's will probly die sooner
    c) i know certain mmo which has scattered and betrayed their loyal playerbase way worse.
    d) why would anyone really care how many players wow has
    e) ?????
    f) profit

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

That might refer to people that only use that database addon? no idea how it's calculated otherwise, don't forget this new WoW token, plenty of people can just buy them with gold and "pay" their monthly sub that way, they wouldn't be counted as a paying sub.

Somebody still has to pay for one though, at /$20 a pop though it was a genius move by Activision/Blizzard to double dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuronfly View Post

Back in 2010 during WotLK WoW had 12 million active subscribers but right now with Legion the population has fallen to less than 2 million. This is what happens when a good company join forces with a powerhungry and greedy company called Activision. Millions of people used to love WoW until MoP but with WoD and now with Legion blizzard has completely scattered and betrayed their loyal playerbase. Majority of the gamers nowadays don't play WoW anymore. This is ultimately good news for the online gaming industry because when WoW will finally die then other good games like Rift will rise and shine.
    I don't think Wow going down is good news for us. It is IMO a bad sign. Sign that the MMORPG genre itself is not healthy. Young players prefer MOBA games with little effort and time invested. And most don't play only one game, but go from one to another.
    The bad news for those who still love the MMO genre are that MMO companies try to make new players come in by catering to this new population, instead of giving to their loyal old time players the type of game they want and love.

This was what happened with Legion, which is far away from what players loved in old BC or WOTLK (golden age for Wow). And I've seen the same bad trend here in RIFT, same mistakes done, with a very instanced-farm oriented game and less gameplay choice for players.

So old time players leave their game, because it is no more the genre they love, and new players don't stay, because they run through content and go to another game.

It is difficult choice for companies, and what I think is that like with everything in the world now, choice is made aiming at short time profit.
    So you get a paying expansion with content done by the rushing players in two months, and after that the volatile players leave. The company is ok because they paid, and this is immediate profit. For the community, this is bad, because population is not stable, and quickly decreases after the initial peak.
    The really MMORPG lovers stay, because they find things to do on the long way, and because they are invested in the game.

The problem for us long time players is that reduced population means less money for dev staff, so less content produced, so content is twisted to last longer (incoming RNG and 100 experts...).
    And because less players pay, the company feels it is necessary to monetize everything left while preparing the next paying peak (next expansion).
    And to force players to pay, they nerf every non-paying alternative in game.

This is a downward spiral. Long time loyal MMORPG lovers get less things to do, less freedom, and if they leave, it is the heart of the game that disappears.

I think the true answer would be returning to the essence of the MMORPG genre, with a sub model, and catering to the loyal players, those who will stay and pay. Those who loved RIFT because you had amazing freedom in it, various content and custom specs.

Absolute priority should be class balance, and removing RNG. I am ok with grind if I know what I will get for it. Grinding for stuff always was a thing in the MMORPG genre. Grinding for RNG is more than we can bear.
    And stop trying to keep people playing by forcing them to do the same instance 100 times. This doesn't work. RNG on gear is the same, plat sink and time sink and frustrating.
    The old MMORPG lovers will do content, then wait for new content while doing other things, because this is the thing that made RIFT great : rich and various content. Player choice to play solo or group, instanced or open world.

We are far from it now... I just finished the storyline in VP, and when faced with the group dailies, I feel like I was back in Wow Legion zone dailies... and this is not a good feeling.

I feel sorry for Devs, because I don't think this evolution is your choice and your wish. Is there any dev from the original team left? Doing things the way your business head wants while knowing they are toxic for the game in the long way is probably not an easy job.
    What the game needs is something at the head understanding what a true MMORPG is and why RIFT was a success in 2011... and why now MMORPGs are loosing their old loyal playerbase.
    Now I keep playing, but I think RIFT will be my last MMORPG because nobody does this kind of game now, and the genre will disappear if the current games die.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 09-16-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

I don't think Wow going down is good news for us. It is IMO a bad sign. Sign that the MMORPG genre itself is not healthy. Young players prefer MOBA games with little effort and time invested. And most don't play only one game, but go from one to another.
    The bad news for those who still love the MMO genre are that MMO companies try to make new players come in by catering to this new population, instead of giving to their loyal old time players the type of game they want and love.
    MMORPG games not being healthy doesn't have to do with what kind of other games people choose to play. If RIFT and WoW had noticed the rise of population over certain periods of time (for an example BC in WoW or RIFT back in 2012-SL period) and had more interactions with the players over what should have stayed developed and what not, you would only find a small number of people leaving the MMORPG genre games for other games compared to the majority.

Plane Touched

Default I find WoW well populated at present

So- I left WoW in Snorenor (Draenor) out of sheer boredom. It was never unpopulated though. I have actually liked Legion- got it for the same price as SFP when it came out- but Legion delivered. I do not see a drop off of population. The servers are busy, the auction houses full, and there is very little wait times for LFR or dungeons. Never have a problem finding a pug if we need one for guild runs either- if friends are offline. If there is an overall decline I would chalk it up to the slow drain of well produced MMOs. Console games are popular- I am no fan of FPS but they are pretty hot. I also am no fan of the post-apocalyptic type games- life is crazy enough- why play a game that imitates it? I am a fan of high fantasy- and world wide fewer people like this. I also know people who find timed progression a pain- and they turn to games where progression is more individualized. I think WoW is easy to point at for good and bad- but it remains the flagship of high fantasy MMOs.

Prophet of Telara

Can't forget other factor like Overwatch that came out not to long ago. it may of pulled some wow players to other part of Blizzard games.

I think the biggest impact of all is the mobile device type mmos but personally these leave so much out I cant enjoy them. A newer generation might be the driving force to A lot of the decline in all of the traditional mmorpgs.

Only 1.5 million... To most games this would be a godsend.

WoW will only die when Blizzard chooses to put it down. Even at closure, there is no guarantee a game with similarities to WoW will be the next destination.

It could just as easily be whatever Blizzard replaces it with.

For Rift to rise and shine it must be seen to have inherent value such that it couldn't be easily matched or beaten by other available options.

I can assure you that Legion while it has flaws has brought many people back to WoW, I used to spend hours in the world and never see anyone now I run into people all the time. Only Blizz and the shareholders know exactly how many subs there are because the quit reporting them

Its not at the peak of wrath but I assure you its not at 1.5 either
    I don't know if I can open up I've been opened enough I don't know if I can open up I'm not a birthday present...MM

Shadowlander

I don't think WoW is dying. To be honest, I hope it's not. I left WoW because the community was unfriendly as hell, and I don't want them to go and look for another rpg and end up here.

Plus I don't agree that people liked MoP, It's when I quit. I don't like timesinks, grinding reputation to be able to get first raidready gear, plus areas where it feels not like an MMORPG but like a super-mario like jump-and-run, who the hell would build their cities like that so you can barely get there? I cannot understand how you can get bored in am MMORPG. (This is somewhat where Rift is not shining either, but as I'm not raiding here, it's like *shrug*. However, it doesn't make me willing to pay 14.99 a month!).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynda View Post
    I don't think WoW is dying. To be honest, I hope it's not. I left WoW because the community was unfriendly as hell, and I don't want them to go and look for another rpg and end up here.
    *Looks around*

I agree... having former WoW players would be bad for Rift.

*Looks around again*

Rift Chaser

Don't really believe the death of WoW would be good news for Rift. It's not like Trion is putting a ton of resources into this game.

During classic and Storm Legion I tried to get lots of my RL friends to play. No longer...

I wouldn't suggest to my friends to pick up the Korean style grinder that this game has become now.

I stay around mostly because I enjoy the guild I'm in and still enjoy the game to a degree. But I doubt Rift in it's current state would hook lot's of new players.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Neuronfly View Post

You are dreaming w/ great vigor if you think WOW's success is Rift's downfall. There are many mmos out there doing quite well regardless of Wow. Also former wow players come give this game a shot and leave. The population of loyals and new players here is barely existent, rn. Rift's insurmountable problems seem to have a starting point at a lack of creative content, talent, satisfactory function/utility and finance. WOw has some things working for it in those areas. But simply put, those things make a game hot and interesting. If its not, players who don't want to waste time and money leave. That 1.5 sub number sounds questionable. I'm sure they have far more than that worldwide. And even if it were only 1.5m subs that still swims rings around rift's hush hush population numbers. Also just a question to kick around, if Wow died today which game do you think people would run to? I don't think Rift would make the list as even the top 5o mmos players would turn to.
    Last edited by ohsocurioussss; 01-12-2018 at 10:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast