For those of you that are posting "Im Leaving for WoW" post, or for those of you who just feel that they need to see what the hype is all about, let me enlightnen you as to the "WoW" experience....
First off im a veteran player of all Blizzard games. Been playing WoW for about 12 years. Have 8 Level 110 toons, all with iLevel 890+++ gear on. Currently the average iLevel for endgame raiders is 920. So with that said, you can see im not a noob who just so happens to play the game.
While WoW has been a huge part of my life, it is by no mean the end all be all of MMO's. If you have never played it before, or havent been back since Cata or prior, its going to be an overwhelming game. Much in the same way FFXIV will be if you've just picked it up for the first time. The current grind in WoW for any new player is beyond overwhelming. Even if you buy both required packages for a level 100 toon, currently about $60.00, you still have over 13 years of holes to fill in. And believe me, not filling those holes will deprive you of what WoW as an mmo really is. The questing system in WoW is exactly the same as Rift. The dungeon system in WoW, the raiding, the short adventures, all are exactly the same as Rift. However, before you dwell deep into them, you will need to play catch up. Once you hit level 110, you will begin a serios of grinding quest requirements that if not met, will leave your toon stranded in outdated content. Not to mention, that everything with the new expansion is reputation related. You will need to be exhaulted with one faction that will require you to quest endlessly for more then likely over a month. And the quest are "Gated", meaning only a few are available on a daily basis. So what does all this mean to the incoming player, new or old, alot of time invested. More then you will have the patience to invest. The only folks that are investing that kind of time are the one's that have been a part of the game for well over a decade. Anyone new, usually leaves around level 103, because unless you have heirlooms item, and many many alts, the xp gains per quest/mob killed, are abysmal to the road ahead of you.
CONCLUSION: If you have invested you time into Rift, If you are not the type of player that can endure endless amounts of grind for atleast 3 months, non stop, then stay here in Rift. Otherwise, you will find yourselft paying alot of money for a very short tour of Azeroth. One, that once completed, will leave you exhausted and frustrated. And all that just to be at the level that every other player is at now.
Leaving an MMO for another MMO never works out. For one, you are used to raiding, getting things done quickly, knowing exactly where everything is, and only logging in to continue your already advanced goals. In a fresh MMO you are at zero from the get-go. You dont have access to anything that makes the game what it is. Your stuck playing with players most of which have no clue what they are doing because many have never even stepped foot in an mmo. And worst, you are at the back of the line when it comes to content. Meaning that the grind will be long and hard since as you are progessing other content is being released. The experience is so similar from one MMO to another, that the harship requred to transfer more often the not, is not worth the time invested. For me to level my toons in wow is easy, fast, and efficient since all of my toons have 12 years of experience behind them. Which means im leveling at almost 600% faster then a newcomer.
Why am i saying this to this community, simple: An mmo is only as strong as its community. I've read alot of post where folks where claiming to have lost an entire guild to WoW or FFXIV....which btw, ffxiv is about 10x the level of grind and difficulty as WoW ever was. Reaching level 70 in that game will require more patience and time then any player SHOULD ever have to invest into a video game. But, again. Im just trying to enlighten folks as to what you should expect moving forward into another MMO. Keep in mind that my word is garbage compared to what the forums of those games have to say. Go to www.worldofwarcraftl.com/www.ffxiv.com/ and other games alike to see what those players are saying regarding those games. Let that be your final decision maker....