+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why do some of you game so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    I actually know quite a few folks playing Rift that also got their kids playing it with them, so there's that
    Plenty of people tell me they are as old as my granma, makes me feel Im playing the wrong game and should go playing some game with people round my age

as to OP, well, I do my work and all that, aint got studies etc to do so I just login to hang with my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Hotflashes View Post
    Being a middle aged old fart, I work 9 hours a day, take care of my family, and maybe find 2 to 3 hours of game time before I hit the sack.
    MMOs are the retirement village of the gaming world. if you're still working 9 to 5 and your kids haven't left home yet, you're one of the young hell raisers around here.

Plane Touched

Default Pfft. Gaming is a hobby and you can do it in your jammies

I work 9-10 hour days and my last teen has not left home and is in school. He games too so it is sympatico lol. I check in every morning and in the evening after dinner. I usually get an hour or more of game time in a day- on weekends- hours. I am divorced so I do not have to worry about husband aggro. I also am involved in theater and the art scene. Honestly- gaming is less time intensive than either of those hobbies- just more consistent. It is all about scheduling.

hmmm I'm curious. If you are only on in 2-3 hour blocks before you go to bed, how do you know others are on for 6+ hours. Could you possibly be on more than you think?

There are a variety of reasons why people may be on for long times. Many have been mentioned here. Sometimes a person plays a lot for a spurt of time then declines in play over time due to events in their lives.

But you sorta remind me of a nosey friend of mine. She's always interested in the happenings of other people. She speculates a lot. I often ask her questions to steer her back to her own business as I don't really care about other people's stuff like that.
    Last edited by Sails; 01-22-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    fjmfmmft

Job, little kids, wife, dogs, but I still find time on the weekends to get an hour or two in there while the kiddos are either watching TV or asleep. Whenever I take big chunks of vacation time I hit the game fairly hard and catch my gear progression up to the current content.

Everyone has a very unique life situation, trying to draw some conclusions based on their quantity of free time and how the spend it is a foolish enterprise. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by BigTerj; 01-22-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

I work a FT job and gaming is pretty much my hobby. I work in customer service so I don't want to go out and be surrounded by people. I can do stuff by myself in game or interact with people if I feel like it.

I also don't have children so I can pretty much spend my free time fornicating, drinking beer, and/or gaming.
    Kungfubanana~Koreancowgirl~Buffypaprika~Supermercado~Donkeythong

Not a troll or bashing question, but I see some people who play 6+ hours a day. Being a middle aged old fart, I work 9 hours a day, take care of my family, and maybe find 2 to 3 hours of game time before I hit the sack.

I just don't see how anyone can game so much and still work or go to school. How do you work it in your schedule?

I sure hope people don't neglect kids or duties in order to game.
    What is it to you that they do or they dont? Too personal a question to be asked in the forums and frankly its nobodies business but theirs. Mind yourself and leave others to mind theirs.

Champion

My wife and I retired in 2007, so time is ours.

Even when I was in the Workforce (20 years active duty Air Force, 20 years Air Force civil service), We played whenever we could.

This was especially true when I got into WoW. I had an office job, 40 hours per week, I used to play 4-5 hours per night, and 14-15 hours per day (often more) on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. So, that's about 60 hours per week gaming.

Funny thing, since I retired my gaming time has been reduced, I play about 6-7 hours per day, often less. I left WoW last year for good, and that really changed things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    hmmm I'm curious. If you are only on in 2-3 hour blocks before you go to bed, how do you know others are on for 6+ hours. Could you possibly be on more than you think?
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. You know how people here feel about that logic crap.

To answer OP's question, I manage my time stupidly well-- I make it a game and challenge myself to do a lot in a day before I have to sleep and go to work. On top of this, I get a hefty amount of days off [that we're outright pressured to take off, if we rack up too many], as well as salary payment. If we're ridiculously far ahead, my supervisor is like, "Meh, we're shipping class material for a month out. You guys can go on ahead and head out if you want, take it easy."

To quote a League of Legends cinematic: "Here's the thing about time: if you can't make the most out of any given moment, then you don't deserve a single extra second."
    "Why, that was a marvelous suggestion that will transform life in Telara. We will get right to implementing that. Now that you pointed it out, it's pretty obvious. Don't we look stupid!"

Default why sleeping

one solution to have time for all of this => NO SLEEP sleeping is for the weak but take time to eat and make party because this is the life

Soulwalker

medically, I can only work part time or I get pretty sick. I work 9am-1pm, take a couple hours to help my mother with any errands she has (she has degenerative arthritis and a nerve condition) and maybe an hour to do a tidy up at home if it's needed, then I game If my mother doesn't need anything done then I get more game time, and if I'm not on RIFT then I'm on one of my other games

I can say that I probably spend most of my day on the game, outside of taking care of the animals and working around the house. I'm disabled so I don't have much else to do with my time.
    ~There are two ways of spreading light to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.~ Edith Wharton

Thumbs down

What I find interesting is the age group that is responding. Not the usually kids on summer break but mature people with time on their hands. I'm a few years away from retiring, no major bills, kids out of the house, etc. The game is my time away from the real world. I'm not doing 6+, maybe on summer breaks (I work at a school). But people I play with are mostly professionals.

Not a troll or bashing question, but I see some people who play 6+ hours a day. Being a middle aged old fart, I work 9 hours a day, take care of my family, and maybe find 2 to 3 hours of game time before I hit the sack.

I just don't see how anyone can game so much and still work or go to school. How do you work it in your schedule?

I sure hope people don't neglect kids or duties in order to game.
    I make money off playing games and am otherwise stable even so. Playing games writing and art is what I do.
    Truth is Beauty, Beauty Truth..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2