+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asian vs Western MMOs

Default Asian vs Western MMOs

Western - Normal weapons, armor, NPCs, etc

Asian - Over exaggerated gear/weapons, females wearing metal bikinis, guys that look like girls, spiky/rainbow hair

i just hate asian games. final fantasy, aion, etc. xD
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

i liked aion cept it couldnt get rid of one prime asian mmo idea, Grinding. Thats why I personally feel TERA isnt going to do so well since, correct me if im wrong but they are going to have A in game store along with a sub?

Quote Originally Posted by iAmDeathSpank View Post
    Western - Normal weapons, armor, NPCs, etc

Asian - Over exaggerated gear/weapons, females wearing metal bikinis, guys that look like girls, spiky/rainbow hair
    Not exactly.

Western - Accentuating the machismo aspect.
    Asian - Accentuating the stylistic aspect.

Both try at realism at times, and western games tend to win out on that. Both try at a more artistic visual appeal, and asian games tend to win out on that. Both often downgrade women in different ways. Both exaggerate violence in different ways. Meh.

Nothing 'normal' about western mmorpgs - put into context, they're JUST as overblown. They appeal to the player's 'brute force winner' thoughts, where asian mmorpgs try to appeal to the visual stimulation that we crave.

I'm in love with Anime ... so Asian games appeal to me a great deal.

If I want to wear a metal bikini, I will go and buy one.

Though I've noticed some bikini-like armor pieces. They aren't nearly as bad as Aion. I can tolerate and enjoy them for fun. But when we start getting into thongs and strategically placed circles of metal. I start longing for the days of Strategically Placed Tassles.

To sum up: It's okay if it's in moderation. But the sparkle-fun game, carousel wheel grinding thing really doesn't sit with me well. "It goes round..and round..and round.."
    Last edited by Delith; 10-29-2010 at 02:17 AM.

I can't really speak for MMOs because I haven't been able to play an Asian MMO for more than a day or two. I dunno why, but I think it is because I know the grind that is coming.

But, as for Asian vs Western RPGS, I will say that I used to love asian RPGs. Chrono Trigger, FF3/6, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Zelda (more of an adventure game, I know), but lately I haven't been the least bit interested in them. This is sad, though, because I still look back at a game like Chrono Trigger and point to it as one of the BEST console RPGs that I have ever played.

The new FF game was on railroad tracks for the first, what, 30 hours of the game? I watched a friend play it and made a decision that I wouldn't touch it. I know that is ridiculous, but it just looked that boring to me. Plus, I had played every FF game to come out over the past so many years and every one of them turned my mouth sour. Then, a lot of the other Asian RPGs that I played ended up being bland, nonsensical, and outright boring.

There were a few gems in the rough, but they were few and far between.

Now, compaired to the US RPGs that have come out in the past few years: Dragon Age, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Mass Effect 1/2, Bioshock 1/2, Elder Scrolls, KOTOR .... all great stuff.

I've never liked Anime so the asian style of artwork doesn't typically work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Delith View Post
    If I want to wear a metal bikini, I will go and buy one.

Though I've noticed some bikini-like armor pieces. They aren't nearly as bad as Aion. I can tolerate and enjoy them for fun. But when we start getting into thongs and strategically placed circles of metal. I start longing for the days of Strategically Placed Tassles.

To sum up: It's okay if it's in moderation. But the sparkle-fun game, carousel wheel grinding thing really doesn't sit with me well. "It goes round..and round..and round.."
    We're seeing both of those armors in Rift so far. A paladin looks like a proper paladin (sorry to WoW-armor fans, but we're not gonna go all overblown), yet clerics, etc have their long robes and armor, yet also the light wear and bikinis. I'm thinking there will be choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepus_Iscariot View Post
    I can't really speak for MMOs because I haven't been able to play an Asian MMO for more than a day or two. I dunno why, but I think it is because I know the grind that is coming.

But, as for Asian vs Western RPGS, I will say that I used to love asian RPGs. Chrono Trigger, FF3/6, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Zelda (more of an adventure game, I know), but lately I haven't been the least bit interested in them. This is sad, though, because I still look back at a game like Chrono Trigger and point to it as one of the BEST console RPGs that I have ever played.

The new FF game was on railroad tracks for the first, what, 30 hours of the game? I watched a friend play it and made a decision that I wouldn't touch it. I know that is ridiculous, but it just looked that boring to me. Plus, I had played every FF game to come out over the past so many years and every one of them turned my mouth sour. Then, a lot of the other Asian RPGs that I played ended up being bland, nonsensical, and outright boring.

There were a few gems in the rough, but they were few and far between.

Now, compaired to the US RPGs that have come out in the past few years: Dragon Age, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Mass Effect 1/2, Bioshock 1/2, Elder Scrolls, KOTOR .... all great stuff.
    I totally agree. However, I do love these games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsUH6M8xBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3ufqp3l10

So I'm pretty much an Atlus fan now... but Square is dead to me. I CAN play Final Fantasy XIII, but only if I put myself in a 'I'm watching a long movie with interaction in fight scenes' mindset. Then I'm fine. Still haven't beat the game though, and it sucks that for the first... 6-8 chapters (half the story), you're pretty much in tutorial mode, and the 'overworld' (ha) is just one of the chapters. Weird *** pacing, just like FFX-2.

Say what you want about Asian games, but as it seems they are the only ones that allow for gameplay elements that take longer than a brief moment to accomplish.

An Asian game with an extensive end game would be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I totally agree. However, I do love these games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsUH6M8xBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3ufqp3l10

So I'm pretty much an Atlus fan now... but Square is dead to me. I CAN play Final Fantasy XIII, but only if I put myself in a 'I'm watching a long movie with interaction in fight scenes' mindset. Then I'm fine. Still haven't beat the game though, and it sucks that for the first... 6-8 chapters (half the story), you're pretty much in tutorial mode, and the 'overworld' (ha) is just one of the chapters. Weird *** pacing, just like FFX-2.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Persona 3. I did like it. Also, Atlus games are pretty awesome. I enjoyed Raccetour, or however it is spelled, for awhile.

+ Reply to Thread