+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why the WoW/Blizzard hate?

I never played WoW because of all the negativity I heard about it. If people have fun playing it, then it served it's purpose I guess. Same goes for EQ and EQII. Now that I know more about MMOs, I almost intrigued to try WoW to see what all the hype is about. And who knows, I might like it, I might not. This industry is full of opinions.

Soulwalker

all you people that are a fan of diablo series and are awaiting the release of diablo 3. You should check out a game called Vindictus, its a hack n slash mmorpg. Game is amazing and i think if diablo 3 had some of Vindictus elements to it, diablo 3 would flourish nicely. because honestly if it is blizzard we are talking about, diablo 3 will be the same as diablo 2, just updated story, graphics, new chars, new dungeons but remotely close to the same game play as the originals with some tweaks to it.

but anyways, look up Vindictus and try it out if your a diablo fan, you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talixx View Post
    In fact you did when you said the longer leveling system plays out to be tedious. What it really does is seperates the good players from the bad players. Those who take a lot of deaths are held back and those who don't are rewarded by leveling faster. I think we can both agree on not wanting dumbed down content, but the fact of the matter is when they start designing a game for the "casual" fan that is what they do. I really don't get why people are so against death penalties and corpse runs. At the time I hated them just as much as the next person. But now after playing a few dumbed down MMO's those are the things I and many others long for.

As for passing opinions as facts you did it right back to me saying average gamers are 25+ and some are 18-24. Unless you decided to go household to household and track these figures you really don't know. I will tell you this as a "FACT". There are many many many more "tweens" playing MMO's nowdays then ever before. This is good for sales, but for the game as a whole it has really put a downspin on lots of areas.

Look we both want the same thing. A good game with challenges from minimum level all the way through endgame content. What most worries me is the journey between the two. Hopefully there will be months before people start reaching max level, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

I Agree on most points i don't want an dumbed down experience! I want challenge but i'd also like some people that can't play like you and me to enjoy the game. They shouldn't get the same rewards as people that put into the time but they should have something to want to log in for. YES you caught me i contradicted myself =D but good talk.
    If ignorance is bliss, you must be ******ic.

Played Vanilla from launch.

1 - Cartoonish graphics
    2 - Fast levelling and non challenging

as a result of number 2, it also got the worst community i have ever witnessed in an rpgmmo. I cant say they were/are all kids, i can only say they acted like ones.
    Originally Posted by Cactuschef

Souls:
    Fixed a problem where you could combine certain talents for a useful result.

Telaran

Why I disliked it. Like I put in another post. Most of the earth looked like a WB cartoon. I think I seen Wile E Coyote run across in my trial account. Believe me I tried 2 times and someone on this forum tried to get me to try more. Nope can't do it. It's artistic value to me is something I liked when cartoons on Saturday morning were still good. For me now as a gamer I want a less cartoony feeling.

Reason why I hate on it. It single handedly changed the MMORPG yes it was successful...extremely but it also caused the dumb down versions we see almost all games coming out with today...if your a developer read the forums...people want some FEAR when exploring again and consequences when dying.
    Last edited by Ryolite; 11-02-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by casey2017 View Post
    all you people that are a fan of diablo series and are awaiting the release of diablo 3. You should check out a game called Vindictus, its a hack n slash mmorpg. Game is amazing and i think if diablo 3 had some of Vindictus elements to it, diablo 3 would flourish nicely. because honestly if it is blizzard we are talking about, diablo 3 will be the same as diablo 2, just updated story, graphics, new chars, new dungeons but remotely close to the same game play as the originals with some tweaks to it.

but anyways, look up Vindictus and try it out if your a diablo fan, you won't be disappointed.
    i was disappointed, the game is pretty much terrible, all your in is a closed environment not being able to have the freedom to enter a open field
    Rhyli@Hailol

Quote Originally Posted by Ryolite View Post
    Reason why I hate on it. It single handedly changed the MMORPG yes it was successful...extremely but it also caused the dumb down versions we see almost all games coming out with today...if your a developer read the forums...people want some FEAR when exploring again and consequences when dying.
    I definitely agree, but I try not to blame Blizzard. I blame all the uninspired, poorly made copy-cat games being made out there where Dev's sacrifice integrity, creativity, challenge, and intelligence to make another mediocre title in the hope to make $$ hand over fist while pandering to the lowest common denominator.

I came late to MMO's. I was busy milking every last drop from Oblivion when a friend started talking to me about WoW.

It was my first MMO. I started playing shortly before BC. I enjoyed much of my years there. It was noticable how much the whole server started going downhill after WotLK, both in the attitude of players and the quality of gaming.
    I'm not particularly talking raids here, but the gaming in general felt dumbed down.
    In turn I felt let down.
    I managed to get my toons to 80 then ran out of passion, the game was dead to me.

I have been trying ever since to find a game that suits me. I tried WAR, Mortal Online (Worth checking out if you are a "hardcore" PvPer, full loot anyone?) I tried many of the F2P titles. None were an improvement on the gameplay side of early WoW (I cant say about Vanilla, I believe I missed it), WAR was interesting as I am an avid tabletop gamer, but it was not really similar at all. I did enjoy lots of the features, but the game seemed unfinished, the crafting was a total mess and too many problems were not being addressed.

Mortal Online was interesting, but it just felt like a polished Wurm. A little too in depth on the crafting, Much too hack-able (at the time anyway) And maybe a tad too hardcore for me.

So, after scouring the web, I found this.
    This is where my hopes lie.
    But I cannot hate WoW for all its recent failings, I have no regrets

That's pretty much how I feel too Pushy.

A lot of the people (not all, of course) that "hate" WoW hate it for what it is now, with no regard to what it was when it began. I think we should all look at WoW as a cautionary tale, not some pariah from which no lessons can be learned.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

I dont hate wow or care, I enjoyed the game for a time then I moved on. What I hate are the wow fans that troll other mmos and call them Wow clones or this game sucks wow is better. Just go to a preview for Rift youll see them or any preview for any new mmo coming out youll see them. Its almost like they are threatened that some people dont like World of Warcraft and have to spread there hate for any other game they havnt played. Another type of person I hate are the ones that cant take constructive criticism and say you suck carebear go back to WoW. This whole WoW vs the world thing is getting old.

There are alot things I like about Rift but the main reason is I want to be immersed in a new epic story and have an adventure.

I dont hate WoW, I dislike what blizzard did to the game by reacting to forum posts and changing the game because some ******** crybaby's didnt like xyz.

I think its just because its so huge and successful, and its an easy target to hate.

Because they are such a second rate developer. Every product they have ever made is a complete ripoff of something else. And they continue to do so with every expansion to keep up with the competition. The state should seize their assets, but the country they're in promote that sort of crime, so there's really nothing else to do than speak with your wallet.

Well because they ruined an awesome game, vanilla wow was alot of fun before Battlegrounds. Also Ioved the old warcraft series and they completely ruined the storyline with aliens and spaceships.
    Also Starcraft 2 imo is completely overrated I prefer strategy games rather than just a macro fest.
    Overall Blizzard make Mediocre games but market them well.
    Heretics and Blasphemers shall be purged by the righteous with fire

Quote Originally Posted by Denzen View Post
    im not a blizzard hater, i had a great time playing wow.

but if there is something that i hate about blizzard is the way they ruined wow, i loved vanilla and i didnt play it a lot, i liked bc and i hated wotlk XD and cata is looking umbalanced as hell xD
    ^^ Exactly this.

I was the same way. I enjoyed BC except all the pastel coloring they took the game to. The weapons were god awful ugly.
    The heroics in BC felt actually heroic. They took a little gear and know how to actually do. WotLK heroics were like BC's normal mode. WotlK died so fast because there was absolutely no challenge and after 2 months, I dropped it like a bad habit. Cause at that point it was like a bad habit. I knew I wasn't enjoying it but yet I was having a hard time stopping and WotLK helped me kick the habit.

If they stayed true somewhat to Vanilla days and BC and kept that rolling, I'd still be playing it today I think.

Far as StarCraft, I agree somewhat with post above, which is why I'm also just as equally hyped about End of Nations.

Quite frankly, think we need a good quality game maker over the ones already out there. Someone that will make challenging games too. These ones lately just suck beyond anything. Bring back challenge to games.
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 11-04-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast