+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why the WoW/Blizzard hate?

Shield of Telara

The thing that struck me about WoW was the level of polish. Sure, things were a bit rocky to start with, but overall it was an extremely solid game. The art direction also impressed me. Everything seemed to gel together well, nothing really looked out of place. Animation was great too.

The game itself however I found a bit lacking, though i did play it for some time. It popularised the quest centric game I've since grown to despise, and the pop culture references were too much for me. The community was, on the whole, the worst I've ever seen in an MMO. I'm sure it was just me and I was very unlucky, and you always get more idiots if there's simply more players around. And if you believe those two crocks, I have a chocolate fireguard to sell you.

Now Diablo, that's something I definitely appreciate about Blizzard.

Default Honestly

I gotta be honest, I do hate WOW because all my friends play it and I play EQ2. There I said it!

They dont really have the time to dedicate to seriously learning a class and raid mechanics, and the content is a little easier in WOW, so it suits them better (players on whenever they want to play, more content within reach of their skill level, etc); but I still hate that I am unable to group with them day-to-day. I really like the raid mechanics and that many mobs are left standing in EQ2 for much of the expansion, with only a few guilds able to clear all the content.

Not trying to take a shot at WOW players here.
    Last edited by crillios; 10-31-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Those who say WoW is too easy have clearly never done the hard mode dungeons when they're released. Hey, guys? Doing content that you out gear and outmatch isn't meant to be hard. Lich King heroic is a very good and involving fight - one that requires each member to be on the ball. WoW has also had it's fair share of "Guild Breaker" raid bosses too...

Someone mentioned it earlier and I think it's just worth repeating. People like to be different and alternate. In the UK, the alternate scene is the mainstream with kids having funky hairdos and weird clothing. It's kind of like that in the gaming world. The popular stuff is inherently bad and therefore you're not cool if you do enjoy it.

It's also a bit like the technology world at the moment. People used to love Apple because they were the alternate option. Now they're becoming a bit too mainstream and it's cool to bash them. Google are the new Apple. Microsoft are still the Borg. Blah blah blah.

I think the only real comment that can be lodged against WoW is the community. The community is really full of immature people and that's it's biggest downfall. There are nice people, you just have to go through a lot of crap to find them.

I played WoW for around 2 years. I liked the game, but had an issue with the community. A lot of the people had issues with using basic greetings, and had to treat most people to some juvenile tirade of negative words. I did not even mind barrens chat much it was trade chat that just ruined any in game experience for me. With all of that said it was Real ID that turned me off to WoW just the idea of it made me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
    So basically people 'hate' WoW simply for the fact that it is changing, throwing them in a need to re-learn to play. What every MMORPG should do.
    You didn't read any of the posts in this thread did you?

I didn't like WoW from the begining and I haven't tried it since then. Even what is being called "vanilla WoW" seemed childish and easy. I think I died for the first time around level 25 or so. That right there should tell you how difficult the game was at release. If it's to the point where people miss the good old days of vanilla WoW back when it was hard then I'd hate to see where the game is at now. Throughout my limited time playing I could never get over the cartoonish graphics and simplistic gameplay. I would have stayed though, I had several good friends playing and I did and still do enjoy playing MMOs with them. The "community" there is what truely ruined the game for me and leads me to say I hate WoW if anyone ever asks me. I wasn't a fan of the gameplay, and the graphics were horrible IMO but the people are what killed WoW for me. Period.
    Last edited by Zassik; 10-31-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zassik View Post
    You didn't read any of the posts in this thread did you?

I didn't like WoW from the begining and I haven't tried it since then. Even what is being called "vanilla WoW" seemed childish and easy. I think I died for the first time around level 25 or so. That right there should tell you how difficult the game was at release. If it's to the point where people miss the good old days of vanilla WoW back when it was hard then I'd hate to see where the game is at now. Throughout my limited time playing I could never get over the cartoonish graphics and simplistic gameplay. I would have stayed though, I had several good friends playing and I did and still do enjoy playing MMOs with them. The "community" there is what truely ruined the game for me and leads me to say I hate WoW if anyone ever asks me. I wasn't a fan of the gameplay, and the graphics were horrible IMO but the people are what killed WoW for me. Period.

You didn't make it to the endgame don't comment. Simple you don't see people coming onto the forums claiming EQ was a horrible game back when it first came out because it was diffcult for them to level.Having a tedious leveling experience doesn't make the game hard it makes it tedious btw.
    Last edited by Callipygous; 10-31-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    If ignorance is bliss, you must be ******ic.

Quote Originally Posted by Callipygous View Post
    You didn't make it to the endgame don't comment. Simple you don't see people coming onto the forums claiming EQ was a horrible game back when it first came out because it was diffcult for them to level.Having a tedious leveling experience doesn't make the game hard it makes it tedious btw.
    Nope. I couldn't stomache the people long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zassik View Post
    Nope. I couldn't stomache the people long enough.

Thats perfectly fine the community is horrible but you guys have not experienced the Dota,HoN,LoL community which is by far on par with 4chan.I understand WoW wasn't your game which is fine certain people don't enjoy other mmos but i wouldn't spam its easymode when you havn't done the endgame of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Talent View Post
    I played WoW for around 2 years. I liked the game, but had an issue with the community. A lot of the people had issues with using basic greetings, and had to treat most people to some juvenile tirade of negative words. I did not even mind barrens chat much it was trade chat that just ruined any in game experience for me. With all of that said it was Real ID that turned me off to WoW just the idea of it made me cringe.
    bliz playerbase is pretty much the same as xbox live
    But But it worked in Dev!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by iAmDeathSpank View Post
    What did WoW/Blizzard do to you, and why do you hate them? I dont understand people who hate a great game/company. WoW may not be your favorite game, but, that doesnt give you reason to hate on Blizzard for it..

I like Blizz just fine. I lost confidence and trust in them.

Actually, Im inclined to think a lot of that is the fault of the player base, who allowed Blizz to do a half assed job.

But yet you seem to have a lot of opinions about EQ. As you stated you never even played let alone making it to the endgame. You tell people to stop giving their opinions as perceived "facts". But there you are saying a longer leveling experience makes the game "tedious". The fact is you have NO CLUE about the leveling system in EQ but you keep passing judgement about it.

Also a little FYI.. EQ is the Holy Grail of MMORPGS. Wow is a watered down fanboi club. The only reason it has 12 million subscribers is because 10 million of them are grade school teens and younger.

Before you try to bash me and say I haven't done any endgame content in WoW you are truely mistaken. You are right to an extent that the WoW endgame is in fact a challenge, but I found these same challenges from level 1 up in EQ. Wow is a silly race to 80, get your gearscore up and then zone into ICC and get your 20% buff of easymodeness. Dumbed down content for dumbed down players.

No one is forcing Trion to make Rift the next EQ. All we're asking for is maybe some old school features that most "hardcore" fans like, if not all of them. Really if all these opinions and "facts" are making your butt-hurt stop trolling the forums looking for every post that even mentions EQ. Just leave it alone and let some real fans maybe bring some good ideas to the table instead of getting shot down by your silly soft ***.

Doc

dont hate it, but dont like it either. The game to me was just boring compared to constant grouping in EQ2, and SWG then I was placed into a 100% solo atmosphere. Just wasnt my game, and got bored very quick. I tried a few times to get back into it with friends etc, but 10 minutes dungeons you had to grind, or do a very boring solo quest line with slow music just put me to sleep every step I got to 60 and quit just too bored :/

thats how I feel though and others love it.

I do want to correct that WoW was a success by means of sales. I honestly dont think the majority of people are really happy with it, but just kind of there because other people are. Financially though sure out of any mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Talixx View Post
    But yet you seem to have a lot of opinions about EQ. As you stated you never even played let alone making it to the endgame. You tell people to stop giving their opinions as perceived "facts". But there you are saying a longer leveling experience makes the game "tedious". The fact is you have NO CLUE about the leveling system in EQ but you keep passing judgement about it.

Also a little FYI.. EQ is the Holy Grail of MMORPGS. Wow is a watered down fanboi club. The only reason it has 12 million subscribers is because 10 million of them are grade school teens and younger.

Before you try to bash me and say I haven't done any endgame content in WoW you are truely mistaken. You are right to an extent that the WoW endgame is in fact a challenge, but I found these same challenges from level 1 up in EQ. Wow is a silly race to 80, get your gearscore up and then zone into ICC and get your 20% buff of easymodeness. Dumbed down content for dumbed down players.

No one is forcing Trion to make Rift the next EQ. All we're asking for is maybe some old school features that most "hardcore" fans like, if not all of them. Really if all these opinions and "facts" are making your butt-hurt stop trolling the forums looking for every post that even mentions EQ. Just leave it alone and let some real fans maybe bring some good ideas to the table instead of getting shot down by your silly soft ***.
    I have not once commented on how EQ is or plays out point it out for me and also EQ is not even the "Holy Grail of MMORPGS" That comes down to opinions also you mention WOTLK the "bad raiding it had" is not great way to base your raiding experience off of. I could easily point out a new EQ expansion that came out last year and then not mention Ruins of Kunark,Velious,Luclin,or Planes of power but do you see me doing that no.Also noone is trolling read through all of my forum post i don't mind hardcore features, but i do mind blantat fanboism for one game and false posts claiming random things i don't want dumbed down content there is a reason i am here and hoping for a challenge.Also the 12 million comment is hilarious the average of gamers is 25+ usually some are 18 - 24 there are alot of younger games but making a statement like that makes you look dumb.Also everyone's first mmo doesn't matter what MMO you started will always have a skewed view from that person because the first time you play any mmo you will be into the game/world no matter what so i understand where you guys are coming from i had the samething when i played Ultima for the first time.Point is everyones first mmo will always have the moments in their head.
    Last edited by Callipygous; 11-01-2010 at 08:06 PM.

I have not once commented on how EQ is or plays out point it out for me and also EQ is not even the "Holy Grail of MMORPGS" That comes down to opinions also you mention WOTLK the "bad raiding it had" is not great way to base your raiding experience off of. I could easily point out a new EQ expansion that came out last year and then not mention Ruins of Kunark,Velious,Luclin,or Planes of power but do you see me doing that no.Also noone is trolling read through all of my forum post i don't mind hardcore features, but i do mind blantat fanboism for one game and false posts claiming random things i don't want dumbed down content there is a reason i am here and hoping for a challenge.Also the 12 million comment is hilarious the average of gamers is 25+ usually some are 18 - 24 there are alot of younger games but making a statement like that makes you look dumb.Also everyone's first mmo doesn't matter what MMO you started will always have a skewed view from that person because the first time you play any mmo you will be into the game/world no matter what so i understand where you guys are coming from i had the samething when i played Ultima for the first time.Point is everyones first mmo will always have the moments in their head.
    In fact you did when you said the longer leveling system plays out to be tedious. What it really does is seperates the good players from the bad players. Those who take a lot of deaths are held back and those who don't are rewarded by leveling faster. I think we can both agree on not wanting dumbed down content, but the fact of the matter is when they start designing a game for the "casual" fan that is what they do. I really don't get why people are so against death penalties and corpse runs. At the time I hated them just as much as the next person. But now after playing a few dumbed down MMO's those are the things I and many others long for.

As for passing opinions as facts you did it right back to me saying average gamers are 25+ and some are 18-24. Unless you decided to go household to household and track these figures you really don't know. I will tell you this as a "FACT". There are many many many more "tweens" playing MMO's nowdays then ever before. This is good for sales, but for the game as a whole it has really put a downspin on lots of areas.

Look we both want the same thing. A good game with challenges from minimum level all the way through endgame content. What most worries me is the journey between the two. Hopefully there will be months before people start reaching max level, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast