+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WARNING! Protect yourself on social networking sites. READ.

Default WARNING! Protect yourself on social networking sites. READ.

For those of you that use Facebook, twitter and the like. A new hacking tool has been released that makes stealing your login access extremely simple, and it is possible for anyone to use.

Protect yourself by getting extensions for your browser that force a site to use HTTPS if it is available. These extensions exist for Chrome, Firefox and others.

This link shows how easy it is to steal login data.

http://codebutler.com/firesheep

This link talks about how to protect your login data: http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/25/firesheep/

Quote from Lifehacker site
    Firefox: Firesheep sniffs out and steals cookies—and the account and identity of the owner in the process—of popular web sites (like Facebook and Twitter) from the browsing sessions of other users on the Wi-Fi hot spot you're attached to.

Firesheep is a proof-of-concept Firefox extension created by Eric Butler to show how leaky the security many popular web sites (like Facebook, Flickr, Amazon.com, Dropbox, Evernote, and more) employ is. The problem, as Firesheep shockingly demonstrates, is that many web sites only encrypt your login. Once you are logged in they use an unsecured connect with a simple cookie check. Anyone from your IP address (that of the Wi-Fi hotspot) with that cookie can be you. When using Firesheep on a public hot spot any session it can intercept is displayed in the Firesheep pane with the user's name and photograph (when available). Simply click on their name to intercept the session and start browsing the website as though you are them.

What can you do to protect yourself against such a painfully easy attack against your privacy and security? You can set up an SSH SOCKS proxy to encrypt your traffic, effectively sending your site sessions and accompanying cookies through a sniff-proof tunnel. For a less involved alternative, however, you could use something like the previously mentioned HTTPS Everywhere Firefox extension or Force-TLS (highlighted by TechCrunch). Essentially, these extensions will force popular sites to send data via the more secure HTTPS protocol, which encrypts data as it's sent, and while it's slightly slower, it's definitely worth using HTTPS when available.

Firesheep is free, works wherever Firefox does, and requires a wireless card capable of operating in promiscuous mode.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 10-27-2010 at 09:08 AM.

No virus scan for 10 years, never worried about anything... I simply just watch what I click ....... No issues

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
    No virus scan for 10 years, never worried about anything... I simply just watch what I click ....... No issues
    i do the same! except i haven't had no anti virus for that long maybe like 4 years now
    Rhyli@Hailol

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
    Nothing to do with what you click.

It has to do with sites that store your login data in cookies, and the site is not encrypted, meaning not using HTTPS.

This specific hack functions on WIFI, meaning if you are logged into WIFI at your favorite coffee shop, and go to Facebook or twitter, this simple hack will grab your login data, giving the user full access to your account. It is extremely easy to use, and hundreds of thousands of downloads have already occurred.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 10-27-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Haha, has nothing to do with what you click.

It has to do with sites that store your login data in cookies, and the site is not encrypted, meaning not using HTTPS.

This specific hack functions on WIFI, meaning if you are logged into WIFI at your favorite coffee shop, and go to Facebook or twitter, this simple hack will grab your login data, giving the user full access to your account. It is extremely easy to use, and hundreds of thousands of downloads have already occurred.
    i only use my pc which my router is connnected to, and i am a full Linux and OS X user, so i really don't have to worry about this.
    Rhyli@Hailol

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Nothing to do with what you click.

I know what I'm doing... I'm literate and the people who get hijacked aren't... it's that simple.

I never use wireless connections, but I do keep my virus software current.

This is mostly a warning for people who access these sites via a public access point like a university or Starbucks. People who only use the internet at their homes do not need to worry about it.

since it's an off-topic discussion:

wtb more seizure
    Last edited by Jaudark; 10-27-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaudark View Post

wtb more seizure
    your the first commenter on my sig, people can always turn off signatures lol
    Rhyli@Hailol

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroRiley View Post
    "People can always turn off signatures" is not a valid excuse for having an obnoxious and possibly seizure-inducing signature.

You were probably not aware of the effect that image can have on some people with epilepsy. You should change it before a mod does it for you. I now regret looking at Zarathustra's thread - thanks for the headache.

On topic: I have a solution! I will not use Facebook...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    You were probably not aware of the effect that image can have on some people with epilepsy. You should change it before a mod does it for you. I now regret looking at Zarathustra's thread - thanks for the headache.

On topic: I have a solution! I will not use Facebook...
    I support the notion for you to turn that hideous thing off.
    Not to mention, what's with the red font? Are you trying to make whatever your write unreadable?
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaudark View Post

wtb more seizure
    Wow seriously! LOL.. it was like instant headache *Searches for his advil* lol

I really hate to complain about anyone's signature, but really, that is just too much, it made it very hard to read anything. Please consider changing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast