+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where does your Character name come from?

Default Where does your Character name come from?

Crowl - Bahmi Justicar/Shaman/Purifier Tank
    Aramon Alshan 32 Riftstalker/34 Nightblade PVP setup
    Sunrest RP-PVP
    Foe's Watch

My dates back to '96 when a buddy and I were at the grocery picking up some beers. We might have been a little "out of it" but my buddy grabbed this case of generic Dr Pepper and we laughed our ***** off at the name, Dr Thirst. Fast forward to later that night we we were firing up Dark Sun Online for the first time and entering our character info. We focused the name field, looked at each other ,laughed, and he grabbed my kb and typed in Doc Thirst. Thus I've been Doc Thirst for nearly a decade and a half now. It's a blessing because now and then I'll run into a UO or DAoC player that remembers me (which is cool) and a curse because I'm easy to track online by my real life friends, family, and employer.

My forum name is one I have been using in stories and RPGs (pnp) for the last decade or so, I also use it as game characters alot - usually for bards or rogues.

I also almost always have an Avania in games - usually a druid type. This goes back to a pnp Wild Elf Druid I ran in a Ravenloft campaign in college.

I usually run a dwarf named Tenaciti (that was one of my main characters in EQ) as well.

I also always have a Gnome Necro type called Ooperdoodle Umptyfrat. That dates back to EQ when my BF had a low level toon in the Karanas where Oobnopterbevny Biddilets roams. He was running through the hills and started yelling for me to get my druid over there asap because Ooperdoodle Umptyfrat was coming to get him (as he couldnt remember the darn NPCs name). The name cracked me up so much I adopted it.

Mine came to me in a dream (which I won't go into). I thought it was cool and unique until I hit the Internet (there's even a band with that name). Now I have to fight for it whenever I apply for a game or forum account somewhere. I may not get the name in Rift, but, in terms of how I think of myself, it would be hard to ever change it.

Decide a name for stuff always was hard to me, I always end picking some random name that I read in my room.Once I had to create a character, I belive an Aion character, and I pick the name of a football player who was on a magazine in my desk, I liked the name and until today thats my usual nickname at games.

I usualy use 5 names in all my mmo.

Wasaby ---- I am a cook and always loved Wasaby
    Lerwen --- Eq1 random name kept it for my scouts
    Bryza --- Briza from the books
    Zephyroth ---- FF
    Vaer --- Name of a Barbarian Warrior in eq1 i made also random
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well... this is going to take me waaaaay back.

Back in 1999 when EQ first came out, my brother got me to try the game. He already had a few RL friends that he played with. Once I started playing I was hooked. Anyway... our one friend quit playing and gave his character to me. That character's name was NENO. I guess the name really stuck since I have used it ever since.

Neno I - EQ
    Neno II - EQ2
    Neno III - WoW
    Neno IV - Vanguard
    Neno V - DDO
    Neno VI - LoTRo
    Neno VII - STO
    Neno VIII - EvE
    Neno IX - I know there is another one here... just can't think of it right now... I sat down a while back and figured out that the R.I.F.T. Neno was to be #10...

Neno X - R.I.F.T. :-D :-D

Aheadache the Mentalist from my first MMO Dark Ages of Camelot.

I always thought it was cool to see funny names in RVR spam like "Legos killed Blablabla" and wanted all the Albs to die to a headache.

In my best Dr. Evil: "It's like 'laser' but with an 'M'." /pinky

Originally, it was the last name of one of my friends. I always thought it was a cool name.

Maser definition from Wikipedia

One of my favourite anime characters from Samurai 7 = Kyuzo
    I just changed the "Z" for the "S" to be diffrent ^_^

Strangely enough, my name comes from an old D&D list of Drow name prefixes and suffixes... I rolled and came up with Zar - and -raema sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s. I liked the name, and have stuck with it through paper and pen RPGs as well as online. At times, I shorten it to Zarrae, just to mix it up.

I had to come up with a name and Mira popped into my head. By the way it means "miraculous" in Latin, some definations says bright, wise. There is a long peroidical in space with that name of 331 days. FYI

For characters, I never use the same name twice, with one exception that has been in every game I play. I'm not giving it out, as I don't want some else to take it.

When naming, I consider what the toon looks like, what profession they are, and possible craft....then try to think of name that fits.
    Last edited by Mira; 10-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Most of mine are names I made up on the spot at character creation. I tend to use the same names for every game, if they're available. They're not the most original, but I like em.

Selene/Selyne - my oldest name, I try to get this for a healer if I can.
    Xaria/Xariya/Zaria - she's my tank Started using this one in WoW.
    Isix - Some type of melee DPS.
    Alysara - was my druid in WoW, but some type of caster in every other game.
    Tialyn - my healer name if Selene isn't available.

I have a bunch more that I use on a regular basis (yeah I'm an altoholic) so I'll be fine if someone tries to steal all these, lol.

I've always had a fascination for greek history and mythology, and I am completely in love with the pen and paper role playing game called Vampire the Masquerade.

Well, I was playing a Sabbat character that received her own pack so became a Ductus. But I needed a pack name.

After a great deal of research, I thought the irony would be amusing to name the pack, The Moiraes Fate.

I just got lazy and shortened it to Moirae for this forum.

The Moirae are the three Greek Goddesses of Fate. They are Clotho (The spinner of the Thread of Life), Lachesis (the drawer of lots, meaning, the one who decides how long the thread will be), and Atropos (The cutter of the thread of life).

So the actual meaning came from a question... What is the fate of the Fates? Being that vampires live forever, and these particular vampires are abnormally vicious and cruel even among the other vampires of the game, it seemed interesting.
    Last edited by moirae; 10-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

My name Traggush has been with me since i first picked my D&D 3.5 players handbook, the name came to me suddenly out of no where. Later, for various games i needed a last name for rp or otherwise, and Tyris just also popped into my head. Random but an amazing name.
    "My mind is the only sanctuary that has not been stolen from me. Men have tried to breach it before, but I've learned to defend it vigorously, for I am only safe with my innermost thoughts"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast