Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opinions are.....

Default Opinions are.....

Like buttholes everyone has one and all of them stink! We are all entitled to our opinions and no matter what I, you, your parents, you cousins, your cousins in law from the planet mars might think...........our opinions stink to others, just keep it civil folks
    Last edited by Trion_Community; 02-02-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language

oderint dum metuant: Let them hate so long as they fear.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Put Bunny into your sig to help him
    (")_(") take over the world.

good call.

"i disapprove of you say, but i will fight to the death for your right to say it" - Voltaire

"if you arent in favour of free speech for ideas you hate, then you arent in favour of free speech." Noam Chomsky
    this word you use . . . i do not think it means what you think it means.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Like buttholes everyone has one and all of them stink! We are all entitled to our opinions and no matter what I, you, your parents, you cousins, your cousins in law from the planet mars might think...........our opinions stink to others, just keep it civil folks
    Did I walk into a starbuck's, or are you just a philosophy major.
    Last edited by Trion_Community; 02-02-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Edited the quote
    True skill comes without effort

Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    nothing philosophical about it, just good sense. disagreement is good and healthy for any thinking person, so long as everyone keeps their emotions in check and avoids personal attacks and such. thats all hes saying, and its a good idea.

Not a major just a thinker

oderint dum metuant: Let them hate so long as they fear.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Put Bunny into your sig to help him
    (")_(") take over the world.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Elizinator View Post
    nothing philosophical about it, just good sense. disagreement is good and healthy for any thinking person, so long as everyone keeps their emotions in check and avoids personal attacks and such. thats all hes saying, and its a good idea.
    Uh.... how isn't someone trying to perpetuate free speech philosophical?

I agree with free speech, I am probably one of the most liberal people around, being from seattle it's common here, but it is just as flawed to advocate free speech without proper understanding of all the facets of what free speech is, as it is to oppose the whole concept entirely.

Think of free speech like a gun, in the hands of someone that is trained to use it responsibly it is fine and has its uses, but you wouldn't want a child wilding about with it.
    Last edited by dinhosaur; 02-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Think of free speech like a gun, in the hands of someone that is trained to use it responsibility it is fine and has it's uses. But you wouldn't want a child wilding about with it.
    then you misunderstand the meaning of free speech.

please, troll syntax elsewhere. this is a thread about keeping conversations civil, not about nitpicking the definition of PHILOSOPHY.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

It is very interesting seeing all the people and their ideas on what would make this game great though.
    Paranoia - Defiant on Gnarlwood - @Cromusz & @Paranoiaguild

Quote Originally Posted by Cromus View Post
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

It is very interesting seeing all the people and their ideas on what would make this game great though.
    some are awesome, some are not awesome. only way to find out which is which is through civil debate.

or some sort of bloodsport. that might work too.

Prophet of Telara

then you misunderstand the meaning of free speech.

please, troll syntax elsewhere. this is a thread about keeping conversations civil, not about nitpicking the definition of PHILOSOPHY.
    And this is what I am talking about, you don't understand all the facets of free speech, you merely look at it 1 dimensionally as a concept where everyone should mindlessly be able to spout whatever they want for whatever reason they feel like.

Freedom of speech is a great concept, for people who are responsible human beings. Not everyone is responsible enough to use it, nor will they hold themselves accountable for whatever consequences may follow using it.

As I said before I am all for free speech, nothing anyone ever says is going to ever offend me in any way shape or form. But at the same time the perpetuation of ignorance or irresponsible behavior is not a good thing.

Oh and also i am not nitpicking the definition of philosophy, i am merely asking you how the concept of free speech is not philosophical.
    Last edited by dinhosaur; 02-02-2011 at 12:22 PM.

And this is what I am talking about, you don't understand all the facets of free speech, you merely look at it 1 dimensionally as a concept where everyone should mindlessly be able to spout whatever they want for whatever reason they feel like.

Freedom of speech is a great concept, for people who are responsible human beings. Not everyone is responsible enough to use it, nor will they hold themselves accountable for whatever consequences may follow using it.

As I said before I am all for free speech, nothing anyone ever says is going to ever offend me in any way shape or form. But at the same time the perpetuation of ignorance or irresponsible behavior is not a good thing.

Oh and also i am not nitpicking the definition of philosophy, i am merely asking you how the concept of free speech is not philosophical.
    the very definition of free speech is that anyone can say what they want, yes. responsibility is irrelevant, because responsibility is a relative concept. someone will have to decide who is responsible and who is not. and that, by definition again, is NOT free.

you think youre in favour of free speech, but you dont know what it means. like any freedom, if you dont have it all, you dont have any of it.

http://www.weirdpalace.com/img/fun/p...st-signs20.jpg

Read my sig you are the epitome of social environment ignorance. Who dictates what is responsible/good etc...
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybojangles View Post
    http://www.weirdpalace.com/img/fun/p...st-signs20.jpg

Read my sig you are the epitome of social environment ignorance. Who dictates what is responsible/good etc...
    The people who are capable of equanimity of course. But no one is trying to dictate anything, if people want to become responsible human beings they have to do it for themselves.

Free speech is a tool, like all tools it can be used effectively or it can be used irresponsibly.

If i am the epitome of social environment ignorance because I believe people should hold themselves accountable and responsible for their own behavior than so be it.

As I said before, just like a gun in the hands of a child probably isn't something that should be encouraged, free speech in the hands of people that don't understand the facets of it is also silly.

the very definition of free speech is that anyone can say what they want, yes. responsibility is irrelevant, because responsibility is a relative concept. someone will have to decide who is responsible and who is not. and that, by definition again, is NOT free.

you think youre in favour of free speech, but you dont know what it means. like any freedom, if you dont have it all, you dont have any of it.
    That's simply flawed logic, this world can not operate on pure freedom. Freedom like anything else can be exploited and abused, and suggesting that it should exist for everyone without any intuitive guidelines would leave countless scenarios where people are harming others.
    Last edited by dinhosaur; 02-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.

The people who are capable of equanimity of course. But no one is trying to dictate anything, if people want to become responsible human beings they have to do it for themselves.

Free speech is a tool, like all tools it can be used effectively or it can be used irresponsibly.

If i am the epitome of social environment ignorance because I believe people should hold themselves accountable and responsible for their own behavior than so be it.

As I said before, just like a gun in the hands of a child probably isn't something that should be encouraged, free speech in the hands of people that don't understand the facets of it is also silly.
    actually, what you said is that only responsible people should have the RIGHT of free speech. but thats kinda the thing. if it is a RIGHT, everyone has it. period. if it isnt a Right, it can be taken away from anyone. and i know you dont want that.

those are the consequences of your opinion. take responsibility, or change.

some are awesome, some are not awesome. only way to find out which is which is through civil debate.

or some sort of bloodsport. that might work too.
    I am taping my hands and dipping them in resin/shattered glass now!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast