+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In game advertisment (Not the gold selling kind)

Default In game advertisment (Not the gold selling kind)

I was playing a game called Blacklight: Tango down. The game is set in a not too far future so the setting is very urban and has sci-fi looking armor. That is beyond the point. I have been playing this game for over a week now, but today was the first time I noticed an add. The scary part is that before I even noticed this add I bought one of these this morning for the first time in over a year

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Nugattiadd.jpg

I have seen talk of this kind of advertisement and games like Hellgate: London and APB were supposed to have it, but I never actually saw it in game. If I did it was not at least localized so I did not pay attention to it. I noticed one or two more billboards around the map which were localized with relevant advertisement. Now usually I hate advertisements on websites and not to mention from gold spammers in game, but I actually liked this. It was kind of neat, and at the same time really went well with the game world. Maybe it even subconsciously helped cause I found the world a bit more interesting, I could go "hey this map could be my place in some weird future"

Basically I am just curious to see what people think about well placed adds? Do you hate them no matter what, or do you think well placed adds can actually help make the world feel more real and alive?
    Last edited by Wobbley; 10-26-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    A wiki is only as good as its contributors - won't you help at Telarapedia?

A wise man told me to stay away from crazy people, I have been running from myself ever since.

An add like that would feel inappropriate in this game. However if they could be more smart, and make the add's medieval like, I wouldnt have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronox View Post
    An add like that would feel inappropriate in this game. However if they could be more smart, and make the add's medieval like, I wouldnt have an issue with it.
    I never said anything about in Rift. Hence why it is in the off topic section and I never mention Rift once. i was merely asking how people feel about in-game advertisments in various. Games from Fantasy MMORPGs to Sci-Fi RTS games. Nothing wrong with mentioning Rift. Just don't want it to de-rail into a thread about advertisements and Rift purely
    Last edited by Wobbley; 10-26-2010 at 03:37 AM.

A wise man told me to stay away from crazy people, I have been running from myself ever since.

Awh silly me, didnt read careful enough, but on-topic, i wouldnt mind adds like that at all.

sometimes the greed gets out of hand. i know they need to make money but sometimes it can go too far.

have an ale

Well at least these guys are not taking their game advertisment half assed , wish I could say the same for the game

Basically the bigger billboards on some maps actually have full movie commercials/trailers playing O.o

I think that would depend on the type of game. In a fantasy setting they would look really out of place and break immersion. In a sci-fi game, sure, maybe.

As long as they don't have one around every corner, throwing products in your face and obnoxiously begging for your money.
    Last edited by Kitty; 10-26-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Shield of Telara

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...-promotion.jpg

Bear in mind, the above isn't a photoshop. It isn't a joke. This was a genuine promotion SoE launched a few years back. Note the character in the screenshot: he's Lucan D'Lere, one of EQ2's figureheads. Manical despot, Overlord of Freeport, and all-round bad *** is trying to sell you a pizza.

It wasn't received well.

This marketing campaign lead to Blizzard creating this brilliant parody of it for April Fools Day.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...en-xpress.html

Advertising in game is very genre specific and very tricky. If you get it wrong, you can actually damage the product you're using as a vehicle.

I remember /pizza ... /wipes a tear.

I think if it's done like the ad you showed it's kind of clever and a great way for the game to get additional revenue without impacting the visual of it very much.

I just am not looking forward to being out Rift Hunting and seeing a Budweiser wagon pulled by Clydesdales with a dalmatian in the front seat...drive by.

That depends. Fake "part of the game" fictional type things, I'm fine with. But the moment they start allowing an Oreo cooking ad or something is the moment I'm going to get seriously pissed.
    Last edited by moirae; 10-26-2010 at 12:44 PM.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

Here's your next level of abilities...brought to you by Nabisco.

I don't mind that kind of advertising in futuristic and modern age games if it means the developers get more funding just as long as it doesn't detract from the vision of the game itself. It has no place in fantasy gaming though.

Say there was a FPS Modern warfare MMO or a Real Time Strategy MMO set in a post apocalyptic fallout style world I would have no problems with real advertising. IF the coorporation being advertised decides that they want quests and missions revolving around their product then I would say that is bad dice and probably boycott.

I really dont mind seeing on a billboard in a city some medieval add. In fact i would find it funny. Sure if its an add for ipods or something like that i would facepalm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

if i see a geico commercial in a game i'm playing, i'll gouge my eyes out with a unsharpened extra lead pencil

+ Reply to Thread