+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Post an annoying puzzle

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Cranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carlisle UK
    Posts
    161

    Default Post an annoying puzzle

    The idea is simple. Post an annoying puzzle we can all try.

    This is one i was shown when i was primary school. The idea is you are in an area with 3 houses. Your goal is to get water, gas, electricity to each house by drawing lines to each one. However the lines must NOT cross each other.

    http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6798/puzzlegame.jpg

    Here is an example of how to do it

    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1721/example1kw.jpg

    Here is how NOT to do it (the lines are crossing)

    http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1571/example2y.jpg

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple starspun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Snoreway
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Here you go, because I'm too lazy to draw up the solution on my own. Annoying? Not at all.

    So what do I win?

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Cranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carlisle UK
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starspun View Post
    Here you go, because I'm too lazy to draw up the solution on my own. Annoying? Not at all.

    So what do I win?
    Non existent cookie _

  4. #4
    Shield of Telara Martie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starspun View Post
    Here you go, because I'm too lazy to draw up the solution on my own. Annoying? Not at all.

    So what do I win?
    Seeing that house Z gets 2 pipes of gas and house X gets 2 pipes of water, I don't think you win anything.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple Cranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carlisle UK
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Seeing that house Z gets 2 pipes of gas and house X gets 2 pipes of water, I don't think you win anything.
    lol the lines caused to much confusion i never noticed that!

  6. #6
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Electricity goes to all houses in straight line.


    Water goes to house on left direct, then around and above it to other two.


    Gas goes to house on right direct, then around and above it to the other two.

  7. #7
    Shield of Telara Martie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    735

    Default

    I do believe that puzzle is impossible to solve anyways?

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    I do believe that puzzle is impossible to solve anyways?
    You are correct.

  9. #9
    Shield of Telara Martie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorus View Post
    Electricity goes to all houses in straight line.


    Water goes to house on left direct, then around and above it to other two.


    Gas goes to house on right direct, then around and above it to the other two.
    Just to prove you're wrong
    http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3619/namnlsla.png

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Cranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carlisle UK
    Posts
    161

    Default

    I always though it was impossible but non the less there could be a way. It does keep most entertained for some time lol

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Gurgle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    119

    Default

    simple, you continue each inside the house to the next.

  12. #12
    Telaran Sever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    75

    Default

    The point of that exercise is to see if you think outside the box. Many people take things literally. A problem like this is solved every single day by civil engineers

    http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7...gamesolved.jpg

  13. #13
    Rift Chaser Denzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    288
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

  14. #14
    Telaran Sever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    75

    Default

    ROFL, I love your picture! It's quite the contrast between mine and yours.

  15. #15
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    [QUOTE=Sever;145929]The point of that exercise is to see if you think outside the box. Many people take things literally. A problem like this is solved every single day by civil engineers


    Civil engineers also tend to work in 3 Dimensions.

    The problem as classically posed (ie connect each of the 3 houses directly to the 3 utilities) is fairly easily proven to be impossible.




    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    A problem of my own:

    You have 12 coins, however one is a fake! The fake might weigh more, it might weigh less than a regular coin, (which are all identical)

    To determine the fake you are given a set of balance scales, but no weights other than the 12 coins.

    What is the FEWEST weighings to be guaranteed to know which is the fake coin AND to know whether it is heavier or lighter than a regular coin?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts