+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guildbook - The Social Network for Gamers

Post Guildbook - The Social Network for Gamers

Hey All,

I had an idea for a website that would allow players to move from game to game, guild to guild (etc), but still keep in touch with what old gaming buddies were up to. Like many of you, I like Facebook, but really didn't want to merge my gaming life with my personal network of family/friends/co-workers. I would hate to get a /tell during a raid from a co-worker or worse, my boss =p. Anyway, I've worked long and hard on this and would appreciate any activity and/or feedback.

Guildbook.net was created to give gamers a social network that allows them to keep their gaming lives separate from their private lives, while at the same time giving them a means to maintain contact with other players and game-related groups over time within the now vast and ever expanding gaming community.

There are many reasons gamers prefer to, and should, maintain their anonymity. This is something that has been a key component of gaming and other online communities since the dawn of the internet, and is in the true spirit of role playing.

Popular social networks and even online games (i.e. WoW's RealID) are ever encroaching on our private lives, constantly seeking new ways to diminish our privacy, and ultimately trying to find out who and where we are at all times. Guildbook.net is a place where your gaming identity can remain separate from your private life, and where you can also keep in touch with gaming friends old and new as you progress through your gaming career. While we do offer an option to connect your character to Facebook, and an option to share your birth date with the community, this will always be optional and never encouraged.

Please take a moment to sign up and invite your online friends and guild mates to join us as well. We hope you can stay connected with gaming friends old and new and help us grow this great new community.

Cheers,

Hool
    Guildbook Support Team
    Last edited by Hool; 10-29-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Hmm, I'll check it out...I'll post feedback later on.
    Last edited by Darcnova; 10-22-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: looks like it was already changed :p

Meh, good idea but I only currently am on FB and Twitter due to the chance to get a VIP beta key for RIft. I do not do social networking much.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
    Meh, good idea but I only currently am on FB and Twitter due to the chance to get a VIP beta key for RIft. I do not do social networking much.
    Same here, I'm just trying it to get my guild name out there....

Thanks for the feedback, and for checking us out. One of the studies we did showed us that many gamers conceal their online (character) identities from facebook and other social networks due to the unfortunate stigma that often accompanies online gaming. Our aim is to give the community a way to keep in touch, but without commingling public and private identities.

Our website is now using google analytics and is seo optimized, so feel free to create a group for your guild(s). It will help you generate traffic and interest.

Cheers,

Hool

It actually isn't that bad, just looks like a Facebook for gamers, which isn't bad, will I use it constantly? Maybe not, except for seeing if I have potential guild members, but I will admit that the idea is interesting...

RIFT Fan Site Operator CastigarFalknor's Avatar

Greetings,

Just signed up and posted on my guild forums. So much for being anonymous. :P

Onward My Friends,
    ~Cast
    ~Castigar Falknor~

*Telaratorial : The Rift Socialite*
    Rift Gameplay/Tutorial Videos

>>www.Telaratorial.com<<

"Success...to Earn the Appreciation of Honest Critics"

Quote Originally Posted by CastigarFalknor View Post
    Greetings,

Just signed up and posted on my guild forums. So much for being anonymous. :P

Onward My Friends,
    ~Cast
    being anonymous is sooooo last century! There is so much of our info out there...that we have paranoid people all over the place now!

Hey hool.

Really nice idea, i like it thanks for posting

*just edited to add that some darker lines would be nice to split up the colums etc..*

thanks

~Warbs
    Last edited by Warbs; 10-22-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Just out of curiosity, did you have the user's agreement drawn up or is it some standard form you found somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcnova View Post
    being anonymous is sooooo last century! There is so much of our info out there...that we have paranoid people all over the place now!
    Agreed. If someone wants to find me badly enough they won't have too much trouble.
    Pain and suffering tries to strike YOU, but misses!

For those of you that don't know. This is the exact same site Femur was spamming the community about in private messages . He got banned for it. The site was called "mmopeeps.com" and had the exact same layout. Looks like he waited for it to blow over and renamed it to try again.

http://www.tribegaming.com
    I do not fear the unknown. I welcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneium View Post
    For those of you that don't know. This is the exact same site Femur was spamming the community about in private messages . He got banned for it. The site was called "mmopeeps.com" and had the exact same layout. Looks like he waited for it to blow over and renamed it to try again.
    It is? Hmm...should I be worried then?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcnova View Post
    It is? Hmm...should I be worried then?
    AS long as you're ok with the user's agreement and the rights you are giving up and the rights you are granting them, why worry? Me? I don't like the user agreement.

Lol I didn`t even read it.. o_o
    What did it say that you didn`t like?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast